lyosha

Hey Guys,

Maybe someone already mentioned it, but I was unable to find anything like this, so I post.

Terror missions in original UFO had a common problem of stupid civilians wandering aimlessly, being shot down by everyone.

No need to make them smart or anything, it's just you could add a small extra feature. It would be great if any civilian who detects a Xenonaut on an adjacent tile would receive an order to proceed to one of (random unoccupied) tiles inside a craft. After reaching the tile (and relative safety) you could, just for fun, switch the aimless roaming back again, so the player has to consider sending one of the operatives to keep track of the whole flock inside the craft.

Looks like a simple trigger to add tons of atmosphere.

PS Yeah, and I'd also add 0-3 random civilians on UFO crash site / UFO landing maps.

PSS Sorry, this probably shall be moved to Feature Requests

Edited by lyosha

Moved for you.

This was suggested in various ways on the old forums (but same concept, directing civilians towards a 'safe zone'). I'm a bit ambivalent on it, since having civilians being suicidal idiots/ pinpointing aliens for me, gives me fond memories.

I think there are planned to be civvies on nearly every map, with obvious exceptions (like the jungle). They're currently in the alpha builds after all.

As it is, civilians follow an AI that recognizes threats and measures danger relative to the locations of those threats, which is way better than the random wandering of the old X-Com civvies. I think "threats" includes xenonaut operatives, which makes sense in that you'd want to stay away from anyone involved in a gunfight even if they were on your side. Wouldn't want to take a hit meant for one of the soldiers or get closer to the crossfire than you have to be.

But I shudder to think of a bunch of helpless hooligans crowding the lander in panic. That's MY base of operations, you helpless scrubs, go git yer own.

Tnx

The idea isn't about removing these funny idiots from battlefield (I've got lots of great memories, too), the idea is only to give the player the opportunity to increase their safety if he/she feels like it, with a simple formal action (approaching a civilian).

We've deliberately shied away from players being able to order civilians around because I didn't think it fits. However, the civilian AI does indeed recognise Xenonaut operatives as threats (although less serious ones than aliens) so they shouldn't be in the way so much as before - they'll run away from you and try and hide when they see your soldiers. And yes, there should be civilians on most maps.

Yeah, completely understandable.

Maybe just in the terror missions? They'd have NPC troops in them guarding areas, and having the civvies generally make their way towards the NPC troop positions would add flavour.

Have it link into their 'fear response' to your own and alien forces, and they should run towards NPC positions when you or the aliens come into sight.

I blew up the building if that happened to me. *smug*

Yeah, lasrifles have a strange way of changing your perspective of the battlefield. Anything not made out of alien alloys or whatever makes up the X-Com base interior walls can become an open doorway with the help of one little lasrifle shot. Civilians become a lot less of a problem once you realize how easy it is to create alternate routes around them.

Plus, civilians draw fire away from you and obstruct the aliens too. I never really gave much of a worry to the civvies - any of them who managed to somehow survive at the end of a terror mission were just incidental to the actual operation, whose only goal was to eliminate aliens. "Protecting" civilians doesn't even come into the equation.

"Protecting" civilians doesn't even come into the equation.

Yeah, and that sort of pinpoints the problem: a human-saving organization that doesn't give a shit about saving individual humans.

In general, an old XCOM looked pretty much like Team America: deploy, burn the place down, kill everyone, extract.

Would be nice to somehow make the player worry about civilians/property a bit more.

Which LP? It doesn't sound like you're describing the Otto Xander one.

The one on this forum, in the Off-Topic section. Still got to finish it, but its pretty long.

As for the rest, the current system seems to be working okay. Every dead soldier and civilian is a big loss to the points score, due to how little the aliens are worth.