17.6 Alien bases

True, but when Chris says the game needs balancing by (in part) providing less cash to start off with and the game's economy is ..ed, then it doesn't fill me with joy, rather it leads me to think "I want my money back"!

Without sufficient income the game is unplayable. I see no need to try to 'mod' the game: if it needs that, as far as I'm concerned I (or someone) is doing the work of the game maker who hasn't done a good job. Please note, I am testing the game on the easiest setting. I imagine there would be no point in trying to play it at a higher level for me as I do find it sufficiently demanding as it is. I also would not want to only play it on easy: that's just a good way to play it and learn the ropes. Equally, I'm not interested in Iron Man: I'd just like to get from start to finish and minimise losses/casualties along the way while hoping not too many nukes are let off.

I can handle crashes and bugs: this isn't even a beta, but if the inherent design of the game is flawed then why should I bother? Currently the game is even harder than TFTD on normal level and that was as far as I went on that game. In the end MC'd everything because otherwise I wasn't going to get anywhere on that.

Now I don't mind smarter/harder aliens in ground battles, but when it takes over a week to make armour that gets lost in a flash and costs a ridiculous amount (as well as stupid transfer costs for goods, etc, etc) then it's paramount that people don't die/equipment doesn't get lost (etc, etc - all comes down to finance to a large degree) because otherwise any attempt to chase the aliens is a waste of time.

I also don't consider a good game one where I have to try to send my troops forward one square at a time throwing grenades and hoping that it suffices in order for me to find out where the enemy is and then fail to kill it while it can seemingly pick me off at will from far farther than I can see e.g. TFTD because that is simply tedious.

True, but when Chris says the game needs balancing by (in part) providing less cash to start off with and the game's economy is ..ed, then it doesn't fill me with joy, rather it leads me to think "I want my money back"!

I think you may have missed the point a little there though.

The game is not balanced, that includes your income and funding being balanced against your expenditure, not just how much damage a weapon does.

There could be significant changes between now and release (which is when a game should be properly judged as having a flawed design or not) that alter the inherent gameplay.

These could well include changes to the amount of funding you begin with as well as how much everything in the game costs, as well as the obvious health/damage/enemy number adjustments.

When people suggest you mod the game to allow more funds they are speaking purely of doing this to enable you to get further into the current alpha build and not suggesting that this will be the only way you will be able to play the final released version.