I am an XCOM veteran and have now played XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

"has anyone complaint about the autopsy graphics of the xcom-eu?"

There are so many things to complain about in X-Com: E.U. that I could write an essay. I totally agree with you- one of the things that were so cool in original X-Com was dying of curiosity while waiting for research to complete. In the new game research is a boring formality on the way to getting a new gun. I have noticed that I haven't went back to Ufo-pedia once throughout the game- it is just not that interesting to look at.

Ok, some more points:

[...]

And... another very good reply! Silent Storm...? Must check that one out.

In all fairness: I have to say, after playing through XCOM:EU for quite a while, I have to say, the thing I like the most, is that the soldiers are now ordered in different styles of warfare. The assault is on the front line, able to make that extra effort where it counts (and no one else can). The heavy can dish out some serious damage where it's needed, but only in LOS! The sniper can make much needed critical damage hits wherever it's appropriate (and after a while it certainly IS!). And the support make a good battlefield medic and general soldier. So THAT'S what I like after all.

Edited by dracopticon

I made a list and I'm posting it here... doo daaaaa doo daaa (for some reason Old McDonald Had a Farm started going through my head as I typed that)

Things that disappointed me with XCOM: EU. In no particular order:

[...]

Now that's one heck of a good list of all the flaws that Firaxis have made themselves dumber than an alien door knob to include. Many appreciating hoots and applause to you Par'Gellen...

Not sure who Wan'Gellen is but I can answer your question :)

Not being able to sell the things you make like you could in the original places an artificial limit on the player in an attempt to make his decisions "more important". In other words' date=' they wanted to make it feel like you have to make big important choices with your money because all you get is what they give you. Oddly though they then give you things that you [i']can[/i] sell which is counter to that whole mechanic. It's like they want both and effectively do neither.

I understand their reasoning behind the limit on what you can sell but the implementation was completely borked. Heck the whole design of that mechanic was borked and feels rushed. Like at the last minute Jake can't figure out what he wants to do and just panics and tries to do both before the game ships.

In the original you could augment and even completely replace the government funding with your own "factories". It wasn't perfect but it was at least an option. In the new one you don't even get the option, and sitting on 40 plasma rifles you've taken the time to stun the enemy for just feels (as I said in the list) extremely lame.

I never said I wasn't a "bloody moron". In fact I'll be the first to admit it! :D If you don't agree with my list that's fine and I won't hold it against you. It's your opinion after all and I fully support your right to express it.

This shows, Par'Gellen, that you can laugh at yourself! A very good trait! One I've been training on for ages and just now (at the age of 48) getting the hang of...

Silent Storm...? Must check that one out.

I was hoping that XCOM EU would have been a futuristic Silent Storm with more polish.

SS and its sequel SS Sentinels are not perfect, but they are damn good games. They added many new features to the tactical squad-based game.

* Rag-doll physics

* Being able to "hear" enemies - having the game place a silhouette where your character thought they heard someone

* Being able to unload a clip into the ceiling or floor and killing anyone below/above you

* Stealth - My favorite playthrough was as a solo stealth assassin, complete with a katana and throwing stars.

* Being able to use your teammates as spotters for your snipers and using the sniper rifle's high penetration to shoot through multiple walls

i had buyed xcom:eu for the ps3 yesterday morning, played it some hours and get it back on evening to the shop to get my money back. imho this game is crap. everything was simplified! only one base, no micromanagemant of the soldiers inventory (i mean more than 4 slots for predefined! content), no free movement in the ground combat, this fucking 2 actions-rule... .

in the base-screen: endless events ("pleace come to xxx") -that sucks. than, in the ground combat: in every move i make, the screen tearing is horrible (this is no fps-shooter!). i shot with my mg some time, out of ammo. i want to take some extra ammo clips in the inventory to prevent this in the future -oh my fault -this is not possible. soldier promotion is not adjustable, i must promote the soldier, the game suggest me?! the german translation is horrible, the voice actors also.

and the best of it, the price: here in germany (heidelberg) the game costs 59,95€ (78,52$, 48,60 £). the game magazines gave xcom:eu a rating of 85 of 100. this was the reason i buyed the game. in future, i play first the demo.

henry

To people who have completed the game, how long does it take to complete, if you are not stretching it out?

I know there's going to be A LOT of second-hand copies out there. Don't want to give my money to Firaxis, better help out someone who got burnt by this game. So just might consider doing it for the sake of completeness my X-COM titles experience. If it doesn't take too much time, that is, so as not to get bored.

I stretched out my first gameplay so i cannot tell you how long it will take for the other player.

XCOM:EU is a fine game but not the hardcore tactical XCOM experience i wanted. There are many things which is good about the game, the graphics is not bad, the cover mechanic is fine and the tension of the game is well maintained. But as i played the game and finished i kept thinking how much more awesome this would be if it was not targeted towards the Console crowd. How an expanded Science and Engineering tree with specializations would add so much more. How a larger map and tactical interface could be so much more interesting etc etc

as it is, it is Alien fight with XCOM name , a lightweight and fun Consolized version of XCOM. Which is fine in itself. And recommendable but it is NOT the XCOM experience i wanted.

Yeah, I've seen it and played a little. So I don't expect much in the way of entertainment from it. Just for general experience, so that I can know better what I'm talking about, maybe get some ideas. If it can be completed in, say, 10 hours, that's worth the time. If not, perhaps not.

I didn't like XCOM:EU as much as expected. So many annoying things about it.. And so I bought this game awhile back, but there are too many bugs with it then so even play it ordinary. But now with 16.1 it seems it's gonna be fine, once I get my hands on the 16.1 that is(via Desura). I expect this game to be better in gameplay than XCOM:EU. But XCOM:EU is good for multiplayer I guess?

Laughing at myself is just too easy. I do the stupidest things sometimes that it's impossible not to. Sometimes I even try to play tricks on myself but I'm also a crafty bastard so it rarely works. :D

Same here! I have even once in my life told an embarrasing "funny story" about a boy with no arms, while there was a man present in the room with... you guessed it - no arms! So that's the kind of guy I am. Not astonishingly subtle most of the time. No sirree! But then again, if I don't make a fool of myself once in a while, what is there to really talk about?? :)

I'm not sure where the line for "AAA games" is, other than boasting, but EU definitely doesn't show it. In terms of graphics, it looks like a 2002 game - that's 10 years back. In terms of content, it's got so few maps that they keep repeating, and the maps are poorly done. In terms of detail, there's none, late 1990s games have more detailed maps. Even Ufopedia images and context are lacking.

In pretty much all aspects it feels like it's been cheaply hacked together, like a B-movie. Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dishonored, Dirt, these are A, or AAA if you please, titles. They look like it and feel like it; EU doesn't.

Xeno Alpha 16 would already be a better game, if not for the bugs. Sadly, latest alphas are very unstable, worse than the Buttkicker demo, with CTD issues still around (so I can't get far there). But your mileage may vary, and a few hours of early play aren't going to spoil anything.

I don't think 16.1 gonna be better than XCOM EU simply because one is an incomple alpha, another is a complete "AAA" game...

What!? Bjkln vlnd;lvdzsmv;dsa;vndasvn...Mind=Blown

What does that statement have to do with anything?

The point of new versions is to test the progress of the game, not compete with other games while the game is still in production.

I'm not sure where the line for "AAA games" is, other than boasting, but EU definitely doesn't show it. In terms of graphics, it looks like a 2002 game - that's 10 years back. In terms of content, it's got so few maps that they keep repeating, and the maps are poorly done. In terms of detail, there's none, late 1990s games have more detailed maps. Even Ufopedia images and context are lacking.

In pretty much all aspects it feels like it's been cheaply hacked together, like a B-movie. Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dishonored, Dirt, these are A, or AAA if you please, titles. They look like it and feel like it; EU doesn't.

Xeno Alpha 16 would already be a better game, if not for the bugs. Sadly, latest alphas are very unstable, worse than the Buttkicker demo, with CTD issues still around (so I can't get far there). But your mileage may vary, and a few hours of early play aren't going to spoil anything.

I think you forgot what 2002 looked like. The game's not perfect, but saying it has the graphics of a game from 2002 is going a little far. The soldiers and their weapons DO have a very action figure type feel to them, so take that as you will. There does seem to be a lack of maps, as for whether they're poorly done is debatable. It probably could've used a bit more polish, for sure. Is it triple A? maybe not, but it's still a very good game. It's also a very different game from Xenonauts, so it's not really fair to compare the two directly.

in the base-screen: endless events ("pleace come to xxx") -that sucks. than, in the ground combat: in every move i make, the screen tearing is horrible (this is no fps-shooter!). i shot with my mg some time, out of ammo. i want to take some extra ammo clips in the inventory to prevent this in the future -oh my fault -this is not possible. soldier promotion is not adjustable, i must promote the soldier, the game suggest me?

Events in the base: that's only in the tutorial.

"No free movement in the ground combat": tutorial.

Out of ammo: Are you kidding me? Extra ammo doesn't mean you don't have to reload. *facedesk*

Someone hasn't played Deus Ex recently. ;)

Mapwise, what's really missing from the new XCOM are some residential-area maps. If there are any, I don't think I've seen them yet. I've seen highways, two different graveyards, train stations, gas stations, and lots of different stores/bars/restaurants, but no houses.

Edited by AvistTorch

Someone hasn't played Deus Ex recently.

Yeah, 1999, maps are both larger and a bit more detailed. EU's maps are for the most part dead empty, like an urban project model.

In terms of graphics EU still comes out ahead due to more polys and higher-res textures.

But then DXIW from 2003 already looks sometimes better than EU, sometimes not.

Then in 2004 came Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Oblivion, which are better in just every single aspect.

Hmm. So I guess we could consider EU to have 2003 graphics, not 2002. Real impressive. That's what an AAA project looks like!