Future Buyer Question

vincyus

Hi, I wanted to buy in the near future Xenonauts, I've seen many video of the game in various youtube channels, I thought it was very well done but I had some questions:

1) I noticed that the first part of the game is always the same: "to use the fighter to drop the UFO on the ground, sending a team to kill all the aliens, develop new technologies." I wanted to ask if another happens throughout the game? Or for all the game you just have to crash the UFO and then go and kill the aliens?

2) You can capture the aliens? I have not seen anything about it ... You can examine, study or query?

3) How many maps has the game? In the video I saw only two, one in the city and one in a farm.

4) The maps are generated randomly?

5) The game has an end? something important happens? or is it always the same routine?

All for now, thank you.

Hey vincyus, welcome to the forums! I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1) That's the basic gameplay, yes. Intercept alien craft, fight them and research/manufacture new stuff. There are other elements, though, such as terror missions (aliens attack towns in great numbers), base building and management, or base attacks (at least I believe Xenonauts will feature that).

2) This isn't in the game as of now. You'll most likely get stun rods with which you can incapacitate aliens in melee and then bring them back to study them.

3) At the moment, there's only two. The full release will future a whole lot of maps, though, as...

4)... they will be generated semi-randomly. To put it in an understandable way, there will be a certain number of map "frames" that will repeat themselves, but their "filling" will pretty much always be different.

5) I'm not sure if Goldhawk have really given us all the info, but the game will end when you take the fight to the aliens' HQ. If you make it that far, that is.

Hi, I wanted to buy in the near future Xenonauts, I've seen many video of the game in various youtube channels, I thought it was very well done but I had some questions:

1) I noticed that the first part of the game is always the same: "to use the fighter to drop the UFO on the ground, sending a team to kill all the aliens, develop new technologies." I wanted to ask if another happens throughout the game? Or for all the game you just have to crash the UFO and then go and kill the aliens?

Yes, also you've got base defence, alien base assault and terror missions to add to it. It's not always about downing UFO's but that's the main part.

2) You can capture the aliens? I have not seen anything about it ... You can examine, study or query?

Yes. Currently in game but half finished. You can capture and perform research on the 3 aliens currently in the demo, as well as performing research on their corpses should you not capture them.

3) How many maps has the game? In the video I saw only two, one in the city and one in a farm.

There's something like 10 or 11 tilesets. Industrial and Farm are the main two in the current alpha build (altough the third, Town, is used soley for Terror Missions atm).

There will be a Soviet Town, Desert, Arctic and a couple of others.

4) The maps are generated randomly?

Yes and no. Maps are comprised of a number of submaps. The submaps are premade by people (think of them like building blocks), but the maps are randomly generated (how the blocks are pieced together).

5) The game has an end? something important happens? or is it always the same routine?

Yes. Something that'll be in a similar vain to Enemy Unknown or TTFD style endings.

Edited by Buzzles

where he wrote that? I read it should be around 9th of october?

Here:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/3066-Holidays-V15-beta?p=35733&viewfull=1#post35733

Likely v16 around 9 Oct:

We'd then probably put out V16 around about 9th October, which would be the aggregated progress made by the team while I was away, plus more sprite rendering work and GJ's first major AI release.

There's still some way to go before beta even if we hit these goals (which we probably will), but we're making good progress. It also occurs to me that what we initially advertised as "beta" - ie, it's possible to play the feature complete (if not asset complete) game from start to finish - probably wouldn't be a good thing to advertise too much.

I think we may need a couple of weeks of sort of alpha-deluxe before we hit beta, because the game will almost certainly be a bit of a broken, unbalanced, buggy mess for the first couple of weeks of "beta". You forumgoers are used to that, but the last thing I want to do is do a big publicity drive and get a load of new customers to try the game and conclude it's terrible. I imagine it'll be markedly better after a few weeks of tweaks and bugfixes.

So apologies for the delays, but I think the "Three Builds to Beta" schedule has got us pretty close to where we want to be even if we've not quite hit every milestone in it.