Xenonauts-2 Closed Beta Build V16.1 Hotfix Released! (Experimental Branch)

This is a quick "hotfix" for Beta Build V16 that fixes several obvious bugs and also adds a bit of additional content. You'll need to be on the Experimental Branch to access the build.

This doesn't address any of the balance issues in the build; I'll be playtesting the build more in the coming days to try and tackle them and I'll include those updates in the next hotfix.

Content / Gameplay Updates:

• There's a new piece of loading screen artwork shared with the Xenopedia entry for the starting Chinook dropship.
    • There's new inventory art for the human Frag Frenade and the Alien Psi-Amp weapon.
    • The Quantum Lab and Nanotech Workshop buildings now exist in the tech tree, which consume a lot of power but increase the production of any scientists or engineers working there. This is no longer a global upgrade like it was in X1; you can mix normal and advanced versions of labs and workshops at the same base (your staff will preferentially be assigned to the advanced versions).
    • Added a Surgical Center building to the game, which is a global upgrade for the Medical Center that improves soldier survival chance and healing speed. This is unlocked by researching the Surgical Tables found in Harvesters or Alien Bases.
    • Various changes to the MARS / ARES weapons and their unlocks:
      • MARS weapons now visually change in the tactical combat based on what weapon is equipped. We'll set this up on the strategy layer in a future build too.
      • MARS rocket turret is now unlocked via research.
      • MARS rocket and cannon turrets now have a series of upgrades in the research tree.
      • MARS rangefinder has an advanced version which is unlocked via alien electronics and provides a better Accuracy boost.
      • MARS HMG turret has been removed.
      • MARS Cannon turret now has a Normal and Aimed fire mode.
    • Added a "Nullsuit" undersuit which boosts the bravery of the wearer by +35, and removed the old Mind Shield secondary item that did the same thing.

UI Updates:

• Deactivated buildings now have a darkening overlay to make it more obvious that they are disabled, and the power activation cost text is larger.
    • Clicking on a fire mode for an inactive weapon (usually the secondary) will now set that weapon to be active, so any subsequent shots will also use that weapon until you switch back to the original weapon.
    • Clicking on a weapon image in the tactical UI will now set that weapon active if the weapon is inactive. If the weapon is already active, the click will activate force-fire mode (previously the game did both at the same time).
    • Buildings with additional costs now display them - e.g. the Alenium reactor also requires 10 Alenium to construct, but this wasn't previously shown.
    • Combat Shields now display their HP in the same way that other weapons display their ammo (as they did in X1).
    • Viewing wounded soldiers on the Soldier / Soldier Equip screen now shows how many days they are wounded for.
    • Updated various Western Town tiles so the doors / windowframes are correctly sized and aligned.
    • Slightly improved the styling and added some tooltips to the scientist / engineer recruitment panels.
    • Resized the weapon images to fix some scaling / UI issues.
    • The font we use in the game now supports Cyrillic letters.

Balance Changes:

• Various funding balancing:
      • Player now starts with $1m more money and gets an average of $600k per month more from basic funding.
      • Scientists now cost $20k to hire instead of $50k, and engineers now cost $10k instead of $25k.
      • Bases now cost $250k upkeep per month instead of $10k
      • Base structure costs have been tweaked in various ways, but many buildings are now more expensive
      • Laser weapons cost more to manufacture
    • Sebillian regeneration reduced to 20HP / 35HP for the small / large variants.
    • Reduced the construction time on Access Lift so no building can finish before it is constructed.
    • Terrain now has reduced resistance to Thermal damage, and all Laser / Plasma weapons now correctly do Thermal damage.
    • Frag grenades now explode immediately and do reduced (Thermal) damage. This means they are better at removing cover, but less effective at killing.
    • Reload TU cost for most weapons has been slightly reduced.

Bugfixes:

• Fixed the issue where the Medical Room would crash on completion.
    • Fixed an issue where Boreal maps would have massive visual issues due to them missing a sun (at least, I think this is fixed - I didn't experience it myself).
    • Fixed an issue where aliens would usually fail their first attempt at overwatch fire, and then fire on you as soon as you made a second move.
    • Missiles in air combat are now fired towards the target, rather than being fired directly forwards (which made it hard to hit anything with torpedoes).
    • Upgrading a weapon now also upgrades its ammo if necessary, preventing weird situations where upgraded weapons have no ammo in them.
    • Fixed some red error text that would appear when you accessed the Soldier Equip screen.
    • Attempting to assign a soldier to a full dropship no longer leaves their assignment dropdown incorrectly showing the name of the dropship they couldn't be assigned to.
    • One of the dropdowns is no longer selected when you enter the Soldier Management screen.
    • The soldier carrying capacity bar on the Soldier Equip screen should no longer turn empty at certain points in the game.
    • It's no longer possible to move corpses using the fire cursor.
    • Units no longer ragdoll when killed by an explosion.
    • Fixed an issue where the MARS could equip ARES armour, making it look like the ARES.
    • The survival chance / healing rate values on the Base screen now update when you enable or disable a building.
    • The soldier screen now show the correct value for the soldier Health stat, not their current HP.
    • The soldier memorial screen now correctly displays "Killed in Action" or "Missing in Action" with spaces.
    • The soldier memorial hover tooltip now displays the medals correctly.
    • Fixed a number of ground tiles displaying their destruction overlay incorrectly.
    • Fixed the fridge on the desert maps turning invisible when damaged.
    • Fixed the MARS / ARES vehicles having 0% stopping chance (now 50%).
    • Fixed Boreal sawmill interior props not being visually destroyed on destruction.
    • The small Psyons and the large Sebillians should now make the correct injury / death sounds rather than sounding like humans.

Please let us know if you encounter any further issues with V16.1 as we will continue to make additional fixes as required.

4 minutes ago, CaptainSPrice said:

@Chris When you guys added stress systems - soldiers wont get any Action Points(Time Units) buffs after finishing mission

Oh, I wasn't aware of that happening. Thanks for letting me know. Best to report this sort of thing in the bugs subforum in future as that way I won't miss it.

If it's just that no soldiers are gaining TU experience from any combat then I doubt the issue is connected to the Stress system, but we'll take a look at it and get it fixed for the next hotfix (which is planned for next week).

@Chris i think what you should do with stress system is change from 100 and adjust to same amount as bravery points. Btw also is soldier gonna reach 100 Stress - it was intended to be 100/100 or that stress someday gonna go below 100? Cuz i also think when soldier get 100/100 that stress become stuck on number 100

4 hours ago, CaptainSPrice said:

@Chris i think what you should do with stress system is change from 100 and adjust to same amount as bravery points. Btw also is soldier gonna reach 100 Stress - it was intended to be 100/100 or that stress someday gonna go below 100? Cuz i also think when soldier get 100/100 that stress become stuck on number 100

It'd be best to discuss the Stress system in a dedicated Stress thread, but the reason why it's out of 100 is because then it's the same for all soldiers and you can easily see which soldiers are close to maximum stress. However, we'll probably add an element of Bravery into how much Stress soldiers generate on a mission in the future, so soldiers with higher Bravery tend to generate less Stress from a mission.

Similarly also when a unit hits 100 Stress they stay at 100 Stress until they've finished recovering, at which point it drops back to 0 Stress. It takes them quite a while to recover from a stress injury though.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:25 PM, Chris said:

It'd be best to discuss the Stress system in a dedicated Stress thread, but the reason why it's out of 100 is because then it's the same for all soldiers and you can easily see which soldiers are close to maximum stress. However, we'll probably add an element of Bravery into how much Stress soldiers generate on a mission in the future, so soldiers with higher Bravery tend to generate less Stress from a mission.

Similarly also when a unit hits 100 Stress they stay at 100 Stress until they've finished recovering, at which point it drops back to 0 Stress. It takes them quite a while to recover from a stress injury though.

@Chris Soldiers had full hp regenerated and stress stuck on 100/100 and still saying recovering. I mean how long it's gonna take for soldier that has 100/100 Stress to come back to 0?

Edited by CaptainSPrice

There are announced Days for recovering. The lesser the Stressbar for every soldier, the better it is.

If you have 100 Stress and 2 Stress-Reduction / day then your are 50 Days for Regeneration. The Programm reduce it 45 Days max. if I looked correctly. If you get lucky you can upgrade the Regeneration level later, but not at the beginning of the Game.

Edited by Alienkiller

18 hours ago, CaptainSPrice said:

@Chris Soldiers had full hp regenerated and stress stuck on 100/100 and still saying recovering. I mean how long it's gonna take for soldier that has 100/100 Stress to come back to 0?

It should say how long the soldier has left to recover on the Soldier screen, but at the moment it takes 50 days (which we may reduce). The soldier will remain at 100 Stress for those 50 days and then they'll be set to 0 Stress and can return to combat.

4 hours ago, Alienkiller said:

@CaptainSPrice: The Orbital Bombardement is not Weekly anymore, it´s monthly now. And you have enough time and Options to reduce the Panic worldwide.

And 20 Worldwide Panic per Month is realy fair. 

If you look Independence Day and similar Series / Movies the Aliens aren´t fair, like the Devs and we Betatesters.

Well can you do a math for a sec = 5 months * 20 = 100 + Alien ships flying around doing damage. And only way to reduce global Panic is by 1 agent per month(only single region -10) or building command center that only extend your gameplay for next 2 months and also global research that only do -10 that can also extend your gameplay for next 2 months. Then tell me how would you beat the game on this settings. And if you lose a region your income = rekt. Maybe im doing something wrong xD.

Edited by CaptainSPrice

That´s a Part which get more Ballance too. The Global Panic get raised and reduced with several things.

Raising with the atm Possibilitys (more will come):

1. Only 1 monthly Orbital Bombardement

2. Lost or not done Terror Missions

3. UFO Activitys on the Geoscape

4. bad monthly Reports (not in yet)

(5.) Special Missions which don´t done and similar

Reducing:

1. Use your Agents

2. Build Command Centers

3. global Research-Specials

4. done and won Terror Missions (is integrated, but not active through Bug?)

5. done and won Alien-Base-Raids (is integrated, but not active through Bug?)

6. good monthly Reports (not in yet)

7. done special Misssions (not in yet)

You see, there are more then enough Points of reducing the Global and / or seperate Panic Levels.

19 hours ago, CaptainSPrice said:

Well can you do a math for a sec = 5 months * 20 = 100 + Alien ships flying around doing damage. And only way to reduce global Panic is by 1 agent per month(only single region -10) or building command center that only extend your gameplay for next 2 months and also global research that only do -10 that can also extend your gameplay for next 2 months. Then tell me how would you beat the game on this settings. And if you lose a region your income = rekt. Maybe im doing something wrong xD.

You're not necessarily doing anything wrong, it's just the late game isn't balanced at all yet. You're probably right that the numbers are wrong and they'll likely be changed in a future update once I've had a chance to test it!