I was thinking of buying the game, I liked what I seen in the demo and would like to try the full version. But would like to know if it is worth it. I have a couple questions

Are you able to research the alien technology and make similar weapons to what they have? e.g plasma weapons?

What does the full version have that the demo doesn't?

Is it better than the original XCOM?

Sorry about any inconsistencies in my writing and the general crappy quality of it, I am in a rush and just wanted to get this thread out asap to have answers when I get back. I'll also probably have some more questions when I get back.

In answer to some of your questions:

1) The known "tiers" of weapons are: ballistic, laser, plasma. There is a further as-yet unknown tier of weapon.

2) Off the top of my head - a better AI, more things to research, UI upgrades, a suppression system, more tilesets, a balanced weapon system, more alien ships, more aliens, fewer bugs....

3) That's a very subjective thing to ask. I would say "yes". Xenonauts takes the original X-Com and improves on many of its aspects, and changes some others completely.

iMuzzaa: There is no full version yet. The demo is the latest released preorder (alpha) build. The game is still being developed so its hard to tell some of the stuff that will be in the final version.

But yes, there will be plasma weapons that you can research and then manufacture. (did you manage to research the laser weapons in the "demo"?)

I think everyone is hoping that it will be better but in the end its up to everyone's individual taste. Just looking on the forums there are a lot of suggestions that some people like, that others aren't as fond of or have their own ideas on (that the first people don't agree with).

If you liked the alpha build you have already played then I would suggest buying it. The more preorders Goldhawk gets the more money they can use to make the game. Which should translate into more stuff in the game.

Thanks for the replies guys, to answer your question, no, I didn't research the laser weapons. I just tried a quick shot before I went away.

Also, even though the game is in alpha, how long does the game last? Or does it not end at all currently? Also, the difference in maps seem to be fairly limited with the start having a building with a power converter and another having multiple floors.

The developers are currently focusing on implementing features rather than designing maps, so yes, the variety is a bit limited. But it will be a lot more extensive in the final version. Especially since the kickstarter has reached the "level designer" stretch goal.

The current build does not have an ending (apart from the "you lose"-screen I keep getting :( ).

Yes, there are a grand total of three maps currently, I think. That's just because development focuses more on getting the core mechanics done at this time, and leaving map making for when the game is feature complete.

Edit: This forum really needs a "while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post"-warning.

Ah OK, thanks. It appears I'm not running the demo anyway, as there is a map I haven't seen before; set in a kind of suburban environment. Rather than the demo version's typical electricity converter map.

*EDIT*

After playing the Alpha game, I can't really see any difference compared to the demo other than that map. Is there a list of the things that are in the game that aren't in the demo? Also, it says that you can get female soldiers now, but I haven't got any in my starting soldiers.

And another question, how do I get soldiers promoted? Other than the training thing that privates can do, I've never had someone being promoted from Cpl to Sergeant or Sergeant to whatever comes next. I've had people increase in stats, but nobody actually being promoted.

Edited by iMuzzaa

I got this one. Allow me to quote Gorlom.

The demo is the latest released preorder (alpha) build.

You're not playing a different version. The town map is in the game, but usually only run during terror missions. There haven't been any updates to the current alpha yet, so you won't see female soliders. Furthermore, you will only see those updates to the alpha (for yourself) if you pre-order or have pledged on the Xenonauts Kickstarter.

Promotion is a consequence of experience. The only way that squaddies get promoted is by doing missions. Lots of missions.

There is no difference between the Kickstarter Demo and the Alpha. It's the same build.

The game is currently in an Alpha state, which means the core functions of the game is still in development. When these are done, the game will move into the Beta stage where lots of tweaks and content is done. After that's been going on a while the game will be released.

What you have done is basically pre-order the game on it's release date, giving Goldhawk the money you would have spent then, now. So they can use it to make the game instead of buying beer. As a token of gratitude, they give us the chance to play this unfinished version and give them feedback and suggestions on it in the hopes that the game will be greater. As we're kind of like investors, we get to voice our opinion, though they are not bound to listen.

I'm sorry if you knew all this, it just didn't seem like you knew what exactly was going on. :)

Regarding promotions, what Max_Caine said. You should see promotions for guys around 15ish missions I guess. As long as you DO things with them. Someone just standing in the chopper will get no experience.

Yeah. New build is coming out this weekend, though it won't have any new maps in it yet.

Also, it's intentional that the alpha builds are a bit limited. There are more features and aliens in the development build of the the game that are not in the alpha build of the game as we're saving them for beta, when we want people to be able to play through the whole game. I think Max Caine's reply on the first page is probably slightly misleading, I think he was telling you what would be in Xenonauts when it's done rather than what is currently in Xenonauts.

So I'm afraid you'll have to wait a few more months till you get your hands on the "full" version of Xenonauts.