Why is Xenonauts Set During the Cold War?

That'd just be based on the placement of your bases and interceptors.

Trashman: While I agree that the incident would turn heads in both the high ups of the US and USSR (it was a joint operation) I'd think that both governments would keep it quiet, less another War of the Worlds happen. Except this time on a Global scale that had a possibility of toppling Governments if it got too out of hand.

However, it still was only 1979. The internet was created at first as a US Defense project. It didn't go commercial until the 1990s. And it was smack dab in the middle of the Cold War! Both sides have already been proven to fudge what their citizens see/hear on the television/radio (US actions in Vietnam, for example).

And let's not forget that IT WAS IN ICELAND. What's the population density of Iceland per square mile/kilometer?

Truth ain't getting out.

I would like to revise some of my statements after having re-read what existing lore we have. Specifically, the period of time when Xenonauts reveal themselves. Quite specifically the words "panic spreads globally" is written. I would argue, based upon the means of media communication at the time, that "panic" would be restricted to government and government agencies,for the reasons already given. A dearth of peer-to-peer media, the ability for state-control to mean something with reference to the mass media. And of course, the cold war. Which had been going on for a little while..

That'd just be based on the placement of your bases and interceptors.

Trashman: While I agree that the incident would turn heads in both the high ups of the US and USSR (it was a joint operation) I'd think that both governments would keep it quiet, less another War of the Worlds happen. Except this time on a Global scale that had a possibility of toppling Governments if it got too out of hand.

However, it still was only 1979. The internet was created at first as a US Defense project. It didn't go commercial until the 1990s. And it was smack dab in the middle of the Cold War! Both sides have already been proven to fudge what their citizens see/hear on the television/radio (US actions in Vietnam, for example).

And let's not forget that IT WAS IN ICELAND. What's the population density of Iceland per square mile/kilometer?

Truth ain't getting out.

Dude, who ever said everyone would know?

I said the GOVERNMENTS and the MILITARY would know. They would know. They had extensive spy networks, and reports coming in from all sides. (they didn't have internet, but tehy did have phones and cammeras and airplanes)

So yes, they would know aliens are out there and they would know just how big of a threat they would be