[9.5.1 Ground Combat] civies run towards aliens

didn't really notice if this happened before, but upon spotting your troopers/aliens they get all hyped up and run around, though the direction doesn't seem to matter, i have seen them run towards the aliens, while running perpendicular to your forces. they don't seem to prioritize aliens over yours, they have towards my forces, sometimes while running towards aliens in the process, sometimes not.

I've noticed this too. Call me crazy, but I think the civvie AI tries to purposely block your LOS so you shoot they instead of the aliens. I know if I was a farmer during an alien invasion, I'd be heading for one of my barns.

XCOM Murphy's Law:

1. If a civilian sees an alien, they will run right next to it

2. If a civilian can block your solder's LOS from an alien, they will.

Looks like all the civilians have that "oh cool!" 10 year old attitude about aliens!

Btw, mine have just been spinning around like they're trying to get themselves dizzy. Anyone else get this?

"But they were so cute in close encounters."

"Hey! are you guys trying to ruin the tourist industry here? Put them guns down!"

"Oh, I suppose you need to phone home. Here, I'll come over and give you mine."

"That's not an alien! That my lost hybrid son! Didn't you see us on Maury?"

in the original xcom and in apocalypse they would run away from perceived threats, your forces and the aliens. in the original, after a short while of losing sight of what ever spooked them, they would resume their normal random wondering. in apocalypse, after short while of losing sight, they would try to run towards an exit, but before reaching the exit they would calm down and try to return to what ever they were doing before. the vision of civies compared to aliens and your forces in the original was quite poor, so typically they got shot before they saw anything, in apocalypse i think everyone had the same visual ability, which resulted in considerable yo-yoing between your forces and the aliens, which made stunning them quite helpful.

edit: wanting to check out a crashed ufo is reasonable, but they should still run away from aliens, though civy ai isn't a high priority in my opinion.

Don't worry, Civilian AI hasn't been implemented to any great depth yet. Although I think I remember Chris saying that civvies might be just as afraid of your XCOM operatives as the aliens. Nonetheless they should eventually free from danger as best as possible.

Also the spinning thing is something that will be looked at in the future, but as its not game breaking its on the back burner to my knowledge.

In a ground combat mission, a civilian was running away from a ufo. It went through a tile on fire. In that tile in the previous turn a rocket had exploded. The farmer died instantly while walking on the fire.

This game has no respect for the farmers hard work...

In a ground combat mission, a civilian was running away from a ufo. It went through a tile on fire. In that tile in the previous turn a rocket had exploded. The farmer died instantly while walking on the fire.

This game has no respect for the farmers hard work...

i think when goldhawk makes a poor quality fps based xenonaughts, the main character should be a farmer who was pushed too far.

" 'at's for betsy, you probin' alien!"