Hi all i'm new to this forum so i appologise if this issue has already been covered but will it be possible to build mobile SAM units to deploy onto the world map? ie as a last line of defence, or even purely to divert the course of an incoming UFO etc Obviously these would be far less efficient than direct interception but i think they would be a plausable measure that a real military organisation might employ to combat such a threat.

Also will satellites play any role in early warning or is it assumed that the Aliens would take them out?

cheers

Nick

UFO: Alien Invasion, which I tried a while ago, had SAMs and radars you could build on the world map, their numbers limited according to how many bases you have, and they could get destroyed if the aliens found them. Kinda liked this idea and some other stuff in the game, but for some reason I ended up deleting the game fairly quickly anyway.

The reason why I've always said no to this in the past is it kinda detracts from the core game, I think - which is your interceptors shoot down the UFOs. Once you start having multiple ways of dealing with certain types of enemy in game terms (shooting down UFOs with missile bases, using local AI forces to attack crash sites for you) it becomes hard to balance and I'm not sure it really adds anything. I'd prefer to play safe and keep the core mechanics as is rather than risk screwing the balance of the whole game by adding something that's interesting but not ultimately necessary.