try to release Xenonauts final version much earlier than the new XCOM ENEMY UNKNOWN

I don't think Xenonauts will be outright in competition with Firaxis' game. Having read the forums over yonder, and in various places on the net, there is an awful lot of whining about how Firaxis are "ruining everything". Given that Xenonauts seems to have stuck a lot closer to the vein of the original, I reckon that those dissatisfied with X-Com:UE, or those who just don't like the look of it will turn to Xenonauts. Likewise, people who are impatient for a taste of X-Com style action might end up pre-ordering this to get to the Alpha build (which is a pretty sizeable advantage over the Firaxis project).

Then again there are also people, like myself, who will buy (and probably enjoy) both games. Rushing the game to release before its mega-budget "rival" will hurt more than it helps most likely.

There's plenty of room for both games. Xenonauts is unlikely to take up much space in the mainstream. I will certainly play both, because why should I limit the possible enjoyment I can have from the presence of two games that are obviously both going to be great in their own right?

Now let fanboys of conservatism flame on me for being positive about the new X-COM.

Also, it's maybe a week ago there was a post on Rock Paper Shotgun about Xenonauts.

Yeah, the animosity some fans are going to feel at the Firaxis game seems misplaced to me. Well, maybe not even misplaced, just meaningless.

The more the merrier, lets you decide which you prefer, or if you enjoy both even better!

I'm not that interested in the Firaxis project though, just from some of pub I read on it makes me think it won't quite capture the style I want it to capture. But then again, I'm free to not buy it as well, and not have to vent about it missed feature X or totally botched lore Y.

I am planning to pick up both games, probably have a go at the fps one as well.

I will probably wait until I see them on budget though.

Hmm... I don't think I will bother with the FPS one. It looks like 2K are just slapping the title "X-Com" onto it for marketing purposes alone. Looking at the game, it is X-Com in nothing but name.

Depends if it stands up on its own merits.

Hmm... I don't think I will bother with the FPS one. It looks like 2K are just slapping the title "X-Com" onto it for marketing purposes alone. Looking at the game, it is X-Com in nothing but name.

Depends if it stands up on its own merits.

Yeah the basic game looks OK, not great so far just OK.

If it didn't have the X-COM tag it would probably have gotten quite favourable interest.

I will check it out and see if it is a decent game, despite the tag.

I have some sort of mental block over FPS games. I just can't get into them at all. So, I was pretty disapointed to be missing out on XCom. I may require some PC upgrading, but I'll be buying Enemy Unknown at some point.

There's a link between them and the guys back in the Microprose days. Which in itself isn't the best of reasons. But I haven't seen anything yet that I've objected to strongly.

• 8 months later...

A friend of mine pointed out that Xcom EU has

Big cartoon guns

Balloon like grenades

Women get smaller weapons (may as well make em pink too)

and the game micromanages you... holds your hand and just lets you push the buttons

I could go on but this game was aimed at kids, I want a TBS for adults : )

Thoughts everyone?

A friend of mine pointed out that Xcom EU has

Big cartoon guns

Balloon like grenades

Women get smaller weapons (may as well make em pink too)

and the game micromanages you... holds your hand and just lets you push the buttons

I could go on but this game was aimed at kids, I want a TBS for adults : )

Thoughts everyone?

You mean the same things that were in the OG? Sans the micromanagement, I don't miss that.

You mean the same things that were in the OG? Sans the micromanagement, I don't miss that.

The guns may have been big in X-com UD, but they weren't cartoony. Not in the same way that the ones in XCOMEU feels like they come free with your happymeal.

Not really sure what balloon like grenades means?

Were the women getting smaller weapons in X-com? I don't recall any large differences in builds between male and female? None that would change the weapon models at least.

Nowhere did the original game hold your hand...

Funny how you don't miss one of the things that was fun in the old game :P

I can't really say I agree with what you say tacobandit. But I'll defend your right to say it to my death!

Not cartoony? The graphics mimicked an anime.

Which anime? you sound as if it is a specific one.

And while you may consider both to be cartoony I consider the XCOM2012 to be silly/ridiculous happymeal toys compared to X-com94s that fit into the artstyle and is rather cool in comparison. Ergo not cartoony in the same way.

Not cartoony? The graphics mimicked an anime.

Not quite. The sprites were hand-drawn, and they didn't pretend not to be, so yes, they were shaded the way hand-drawn graphics are usually shaded. And made a few other concessions for low pixel count graphics - larger heads, saturated colors. But it was just graphics concessions. And they still weren't quite as ridiculous.

In EU2012, graphics are 3D, so WYSIWYG. Yet "armor" looks like it's made out of hollow plastic. So do guns. And sectoids got downgraded from still slightly menacing little gray men to lame dogs crawling around with no dignity.

X-Com sectoid - look at the one to the left of the crosshair:

xcom-1994.jpg

x-com-enemy-unknown.jpg?w=500

xcom-1994.jpg

xcom-1994.jpg

xcom-1994.jpg.81ad1c1b8f33fa75585b669b84

I ... couldn't disagree more. The UFO Defence sectoid looks like an albino kid you want to kick from here to Yorkshire.

The Enemy Unknown sectoid looks like something sick (physically ill), yet disturbing at the same time. You're not sure whether you must pity it, or slowly raise your hands in self-defence.

Every enemy design in Enemy Unknown is superior to UFO Defence, in my opinion always. Floaters and Mutons look flat out silly in todays standards, while the new ones are menacing, albeit more merchandising.

And in terms of visuals and gameplay, the old Sectopod can't blow a candle to the new one.

The power suit of the original was, is, and will always be one of the stupidest things I ever saw. The o_O eye visors are flat out ridiculous, even though I must admit it looks more realistic in a way that says "We had to make this asap to protect our soldiers, we have no time for aesthetics", while the new armors are supreme badass, Halo / Mass Effect hybrids that while totally awesome, gives you the impression that the research team probably had a costume designer or two. It's all about taste.

There isn't anything in the original, in my opinion again, in terms of design that surpasses the new game. And it shouldn't have, considering it's a predecessor. Soldiers look more realistic, and while various body types *should* exist, that doesn't mean that the male and female body of Enemy Unknown defy the laws of biology as we know them. They're not cartoony, at least, no more cartoony than Skyrim or something.

The Enemy Unknown sectoid looks like something sick (physically ill), yet disturbing at the same time.

Sick, yes, kind of that. You definitely don't want to get whatever it is that it has.

gives you the impression that the research team probably had a costume designer or two...

...and no one else. That was my impression too. Indeed, it does look like a costume for some party, not like something with protective qualities.

Soldiers look more realistic

Tiny round heads on what looks like 400+ lbs of connective tissue is more realistic? Are you from Holland or California?

Wall of text

*poke Hey you know xcom was made 1994

So why do you comparing them?

They could have made the old models BETTER I think the old models could have been made way better. like the floater It looks so neat and wall made the old one was a pink mass with tendrills grasping an orb and it was pink.

On a sidenote why do the sectiods crawl? They dont have huge head their legs are in proportian to the body? they crouch just fine behind cover?

Maybe tehy have less leg muscles? must disect......

Seriously? This doesn't look protective?

2012-12-30_00002_zps7dcbca52.jpg

As for the hollow plastic, they do mention it's made out of alien alloys, which is a substance that may as well *look* like hollow plastic ... unless you have actually seen alien alloys up close. I sure as heck haven't.

As for realism, I'm pretty sure I couldn't even walk if I wore this ...

http://ufopaedia.xcomufo.com/images/powersuit.gif

... but I'm not going to convince you, since you are obviously positive in your views.

Edited by Nickolaidas

Tiny round heads on what looks like 400+ lbs of connective tissue is more realistic? Are you from Holland or California?

Sorry, but that's bull. Male soldiers look a lot bulky because of their suits. Check them out in the gym when they exercise, next to female agents. They look totally normal to me.

2012-12-24_00001_zpsf10bfb9a.jpg

Unless he looks like 400 lbs to you.