I miss handling inventory for starting weapons

Chris will you make any interface for buying stuff (later on) incase pople want to mod the game to remove infinite ballistic weapons?

Or would that somehow be possible for modders to add themselves?

Edit: reread Chris's posts in this thread and found the answer on page 2.

Edited by Gorlom

I have added research projects, and altered existing ones, to appear without touching that file.

Just remove all pre reqs and they are available from the start of the game (just tried it with all current research to confirm).

Changing starting items so they aren't set to unlimited in items.xml doesn't stop them being freely available at the start.

It makes them show up in stores if you remove some from existing troops or build some, but numbers aren't limited by how many the stores think you have.

You can still freely give as many of them as you wish to your troops, they just vanish from the stores list when it goes back below 0.

That was why I was wondering what _basebuilt did.

It's current functions are redundant.

I am guessing the current starting gear is in the code somewhere and over riding items.xml as well, or there is another entry in a different file I just haven't found.

I have added research projects, and altered existing ones, to appear without touching that file.

Just remove all pre reqs and they are available from the start of the game (just tried it with all current research to confirm).

Changing starting items so they aren't set to unlimited in items.xml doesn't stop them being freely available at the start.

It makes them show up in stores if you remove some from existing troops or build some, but numbers aren't limited by how many the stores think you have.

You can still freely give as many of them as you wish to your troops, they just vanish from the stores list when it goes back below 0.

That was why I was wondering what _basebuilt did.

It's current functions are redundant.

I am guessing the current starting gear is in the code somewhere and over riding items.xml as well, or there is another entry in a different file I just haven't found.

Do you mean add it as available to be researched? You use basebuilt if you want it already finished and in the Xenopedia. I used it to test lazors without crashing my way to get them for real, so I could see how I could change the laser projectiles.

To do that I had to unlock the knowledge, the production capacity and put some weapons and ammo in my stock. So when I had named my base, it was all there.

I think the unlimited inventory for basic items is a good idea. Firstly, its not like weapons are in short supply, so why wouldn't governments just keep you supplied with what you need? Secondly, there was a lot of annoying micromanagement in the original x-com. I went nuts with smoke grenades every mission, they were so cheap that it didn't bother me, but didn't keep a large stock in the inventory (otherwise my only choice of weapons for base defence would have been smoke grenades :/). This meant I had to go in and buy smoke grenades after every mission, which was very tedious. The same could apply for ammo as well.

Having been a bit dubious about this, the range of weapons available gives each of them a solid role in the suqd. There's no single weapon I seem to be favouring over the others (at least since the accuracy was tweaked) Therefore there's no urge to hog a particular (and usually expensive weapon type. So have an unlimited supply is winning me over.