IRC Channel?

I've been thinking, what do you guys think about starting a community IRC channel? A lot of people still use IRC and it's a good place for discussing things in a much more efficient way over say a forum with people of the same community. A lot of developers also use this as a tool where they can get quick and efficient feedback directly from people and it also helps build community spirit.

I would love to see an IRC channel where you could sometimes see the developers drop by, if you read this Chris feel free to add your thoughts on this and if you are interested. What form this channel would take could be anything, be quite active and interact with the people a lot? Mostly idle and sometimes say something? Just drop by now and then to say hi or just on special occasions or something. Whatever would fit.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this and gauge interest, I would definitely be in a channel even if the devs can't be there, what about you all? Also for those that don't know what IRC is it's a standardized chat network you can connect to with a variety of clients.

I have always disliked splitting the community between the forum and something like IRC.

I rarely use it myself as I normally keep odd hours due to shift work.

I always end up missing something and find it actually removes me from the community.

Even if the forum is updated with information from the IRC chats it is more like reading a news update than being part of the discussion.

That's a good point, I haven't looked at it like that.. I've always felt that forums are a bit slow and hard to have quick and smaller discussions in, they easily get cluttered and hard to keep up with everything unless you spend hours and hours going through it all (besides announcements) though this forum hasn't grown large enough to keep up with yet.

Anyway an IRC channel would in no way be any replacement to a forum and it would mostly be for members of the community to talk to each other in a much more casual way compared to a forum. Dev interaction would/should just be a bonus and it should not be any replacement for forum interaction.

I wouldn't have any time to drop in on IRC, I'm afraid. Recently even the forums have been too much for me :)

I also do prefer keeping things on the forums because they're more immediately accessible and having lively forums means its much more likely for people to jump in and start posting.

• 5 months later...
I wouldn't have any time to drop in on IRC, I'm afraid. Recently even the forums have been too much for me :)

I also do prefer keeping things on the forums because they're more immediately accessible and having lively forums means its much more likely for people to jump in and start posting.

like 5 new posts a day..

:o

What in blazes is an IRC Channel?

Internet Relay Chats are a popular way for people to host chat rooms.

I don't think it'd split the community. I'm on several boards where the board has an IRC channel and I never saw tension between IRC members and exclusive board users, or any kind of split.