Ground Combat Intro Stage

Hoywolf

I was wondering if there are any plans on making an intro stage - the main focus on the game is the ground combat but you always start on the global map and you can play a good couple of minutes without anything happening.

Maybe as part of the story and intro the game will start with a mission already. Maybe a few soldiers hear a strange sound exit their barracks. From there the ground combat starts and it gives you a small tutorial on how to move shoot and use the different commands (maybe have an officer bark some orders to you, move here, kneel there, reseave enough for a auto/snap shot).

It would be a great way to teach new players what the game is about!

Yeah, it was suggested on the old forums. One of the suggestions for why it would be good is that all the combat troops involved are meant to have died. So doesn't matter how you do.

Its all a bit up in the air atm though.

A ground combat tutorial is one of the bigger 'nice-to-haves' though.

I thought it had a tutorial aleady.

Wander into the dark, get shot die.

Find the alien, no reserved AP, get shot and die.

Find the alien shoot and miss alien, no close squad back up, get shot and die.

Open door, get shot and die.

Alien MC your best solider, get shot and die.

Learn about cover, take cover next to oil tank, cover works -- then explodes and you die.

All sorts of tutorials..

Tutorials are hard to make, lol. The Iceland Incident as a tutorial could work, but it'd require us to have a working Tundra tileset as well as NATO and Russian soldiers to use in the mission. It may be possible but we'll see.

Tooltips are an easier and faster way to do it. But we'll see.

Yeah I had a thread in the old forums about making an introduction movie to the game (fan made), which some people were keen on, and it was going somewhere, but ultimately it fell through. If anyone wants to give that a go, I still have the storyboards somewhere...

But basically the idea in my head was that you watched the intro movie, which was basically that of the interception of the UFO over the Atlantic, and then it crashes. Then comes the first mission where you control soldiers in the recovery of the UFO (or lack thereof). Then they all die, and 20 years later, the game starts!

What uniforms are the AI soldiers in missions going to be wearing? Presumably they wouldn't be wearing xenonauts uniforms, but if those sprites (colour changes really) are required anyway they could be used for such a tutorial as well. Would having different representatives for the two militaries be necessary? Or could you just ask we players to forgive you? : D

I think you're on to something here!

I especially like the intro-movie-into-first-mission-idea, as a take on the Iceland incident or another more recent conflict.

A lot of really great games start off like that. Should eliminate a lot of in-game programming too...

After that you could just run it as a normal mission with tooltips and some nice effects to really captivate the player. But aliens are overpowering/out number you, or cheat in some un-seen way so that you loose the entire squad and cause the mission to end.

X-com: Enemy uknown had a great superhero themed anime-inspired intro cinematic. Since this game is inspired by it. It would definitely be sweet to at least see the same type of heroic intro.

"Scramble all craft!"

And I personally think it would be ironic and kind of cool that the game then continues to kill your entire squad... Kind of a sobering experience that sets the tone of the game. And prepares you for what is to come: you're gonna die alot if you're into superhero antics!

Edited by Lobster Man Commander

Yeah we had a poll and everything about the style the intro should take, and I was going to be just like X-Com. Even had a couple of artists who were keen to make more artwork to fill in the gaps from what we couldn't do with concept art (which was quite a lot really).

Didn't really have an animator unfortunately, to tie all the images together, and make them appear one after the other, etc., so it all kinda fell apart. Shame, I thought it was gonna be really good, but then I am a wee bit bias =p

Aww man! That's unfortunate to say the least...

Would love to see those images though... Do you think you still have them ?

If we somehow got an artist to do this and Chris thinks its quality work, maybe they'll implement it! And then Goldhawk just have to make the tooltips and the mission, witch off course is a lot of work in itself. But at least not as much as making the whole shebang!

Edited by Lobster Man Commander

Ha ha that was the original plan! Ok here are the original story boards (they're not really any good, but they get the idea across). Sorry, I lost the original text to go with these, but I'll try and fill it in...

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

Opening title, followed by UFO silhouette blanking out the screen

2.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

Alert light flashes, forcing the viewer into the action, up somes a picture of the eastern seaboard, single red dot approaching. Chatter can be heard behind as people try to figure out what it is, where it came from, etc.

1.1.jpg

1.2.jpg

2.2.jpg

2.1.jpg

1.1.jpg.ebbafba00aa04d41e0ecb36974efd5a2

1.2.jpg.a84a6ef972117919b1648989035b9f34

2.2.jpg.5c29348b04c1b68e7fc9a38fc0793b71

2.1.jpg.62aead464c1e2a1009505111716d5f29

3.1.jpg

Image of shouting man (or something similar) giving orders, demanding to know what it is, is it the Russians? Ready the nukes! Get the Kremlin on the phone, etc.

3.2.jpg

Now image of the control room (that is just place setter), noises as people scramble to get info, ready everything, people talking about alerting washington etc. "WHY IS IT SO FAST!?"

4.1.jpg

But now the object has changed course, what does that mean

4.2.jpg

Shouting man returns, he wants answers, and he wants them now! "GET ME A VISUAL DAMNIT!"

4.2.jpg

4.1.jpg

3.2.jpg

3.1.jpg

4.2.jpg.7ebf0f932306a673cf0c9189c538b8ff

4.1.jpg.1e9270584467bc815d7c1f39b700962f

3.2.jpg.2cf72ba1d400e0d1239536497294e471

3.1.jpg.9843f8cfdc91d3f6446c4d18e3e5ad66

Edited by anotherdevil
I love lamp

5.1.jpg

Launching the interceptors, launching them from everywhere!

5.2.jpg

Comm chatter between the control room and the aircraft, as they get closer and closer, "Get us a picture"

6.1.jpg

Pan across the sky

6.2.jpg

you see two planes, and another pops up into view

6.3.jpg

Photos start coming in, blurry, from a distance, then closer, then the last one flashes...

5.1.jpg

5.2.jpg

6.1.jpg

6.2.jpg

6.3.jpg

5.1.jpg.35880db04181f82af7924dbad628d1ef

5.2.jpg.5e0d103e9524673853288c91fb9a59b3

6.1.jpg.1789aa4cd27279da63d19a26c26c2bbf

6.2.jpg.121c14d4142570fcee52be6d0e9d5664

6.3.jpg.4880e1c2edc6d5101c72369fd120de27

7.1.jpg

BOOOM! Two interceptors down!

7.2.jpg

The others launches their missile (Camera pans to follow it), but comm chatter lets you know that the UFO still advances, not even a scratch, more aircraft shot down, they pull out

7.3.jpg

You get to see the destruction caused by this one craft...

8.1.jpg

"MEN IT"S TIME..."

8.2.jpg

"TIME TO LAUNCH THE NUKES..."

7.1.jpg

7.2.jpg

7.3.jpg

8.1.jpg

8.2.jpg

7.1.jpg.466790f9f8197938bca93c9356b1e3be

7.2.jpg.e2ede7ef9f753e8e68a0c78117d3b60e

7.3.jpg.e02e3124df4707d137e577a3b9682160

8.1.jpg.9fd816ced06bfee65c1d2c42a0c86032

8.2.jpg.e66c3ba9951844116a45554435ddf060

9.1.jpg

Small explosions appear around the UFO (now near Iceland), and they slowly expand

9.2.jpg

And expand, until the screen is glaringly white (nukes did go off). This fades, followed by someone talking about how the UFO went down. It wasn't destroyed, but it went down... In Iceland...

You hear the gruff officers voice say, lets see what's down there (or something else, but awesome... maybe something funny like, lets go get those bastards, I want you men to take me to their leader! =P)

And begin the training mission, as boots hit the ground!

Sorry it's not so good this time around, but I hope you get the idea!

9.1.jpg

9.2.jpg

9.1.jpg.47ce55fd292a69d731060f20752e21e6

9.2.jpg.381813498021c8d522b4b16a9265fb2d

Edited by anotherdevil
A baby seal walks into a club...

Exactly what I was thinking of and more! Love the details anotherdevil! You can clearly tell a lof of tought has gone into the storyboard and the script even though its still in the rough.

Just the way to make the one enemy UFO into something that is completly overpowering. There is alot of potential to this if we can only get a talented artist and animator intrested :)

Ha ha well anyone is more than welcome to run with it if they like. I had none of the skills, so after making the storyboards I kinda just sat around doing nothing, but if anyone else wants to give it a go, I'd love to see it in the game!

And I can't really take all the credit, I just adapted the original text from the Icelandic incident really, and put in a few pretty pictures etc. =p