Hi, i am using the forums quite passively, i do remember chris saying that the basic alien will have about seven variations so they can scale as the game goes on. So i kind of wonder will they be substantially different(like having visually different armor) or will they be pallet swapped because pink deflect bullets better because of SCIENCE! I couldn't find anything on this by using the search function. So does anyone know? Just curious.

I believe it's a pallet swap of the Caesan's shirts atleast. I would assume that the official stand on this is that the colours denote rank and that the officers has simply been issued higher quality gear rather then the colours beeing a real factor =P (why would the non combatents be issued overalls with armour built into them?)

I belive that looking through the png files in assets > units > Alien (> caesan) should answer a bit of your question.

It's probably a lot easier to do a simple pallet swap then designing different armours ad how they fit on the alien models. Especially considering how many sprites it concerns.

They're not just palette swops - the more advanced aliens actually are wearing more armour. The models are different. The officers / leaders all have helmets etc as well, and the different Andron ranks are actually entirely different models because they physically get larger and taller as they increase in rank.