Modding Team

Lionheart2

I want to mod Xenonauts... but I need artists and an assistant EDITOR. All group members will have a say in how the mod is developed, and I will be responsible for publishing the content. The main rule all the members need to respect the members must respect each other. Who would like to join?

Questiosn for GAMEMAKERS: Does <alienAttribute Mean the Number of aliens per mission? Where do you edit hired soldier stats? (Already know where starting soldier stats are... is this the same file?)

Edited by Lionheart2
Annoying Blabber about editing XML files not being Coding

It might be possible to add some code to the game at this point. If you look in xenonauts->assests->scripts you will see that there is some lua code for doing specific things. I have not looked to see if this is implemented yet, but you might be able to add/change things in those files to make modifications to the game.

The only accessible "code" in Xenonauts is the graphical presentation of the UI. (the LUA scripts)

You can change the size or texture of a button but you cannot change what it does. That amounts to reskinning the UI.

Modifying or adding code within existing parameters/limitations is still coding, innit?

Yes. You just can't do that in Xenonauts.

Changing the damage of a weapon is typically filed under "modding content" or "balancing".

A code change would be adding a new function to the game, like creating a homing property to certain bullets so you can shoot around corners.

Gazz wouldnt you be need to be able to read the code describing the damage of a weapon to be able to change it? I have no codeing experience whatsoever and I have no idea where to begin or what to do to make any effects in Xenonauts. Given the OP's questions about where you can find certain functions he is probably asking for someone that understands the code better then him? That can locate what needs to be changed and added.

And Chris has said that you wont just be able to change the properties of a weapon but to add weapons. So knowing here to add stuff and how it all strings togethr between different files would be ood to know right?

Gazz wouldnt you be need to be able to read the code describing the damage of a weapon to be able to change it?

What do you mean? Stats like weapon damage are all saved in tables. There is no code involved.

It's actually very easy to add content. (weapons, aircraft, research stuff, whathaveyou)

Copy/paste another line to the table and change what you want.

All content can be added or changed.

Content.

Game functions can neither be added nor changed. Therefore coding skills are meaningless in Xenonauts unless you go all out hardcore, decompile the executable, and build your own from scratch.

That can get you into all kinds of copyright trouble so it's hardly ever done with a "live" franchise.

I'm not saying Xeno can't be modded.

The OP just shouldn't waste time looking for a coder when there can not be anything to code. =P

Edited by Gazz

Well if you add a gun and have an artist to add the graphics you have to look at more then just tables for weapon damage and range right? you have to make sure it triggers your fireing animations when fireing and such right? Thats kinda hard for someone that understands as much (read: little) as me. Its easier for someone used to codeing to find all the bits that you need to modify right? even if he doesnt acctually have to code anything himself.

I'm saying the larger modifications you want to do the more you need to add/change and someone with experience to look at code (in general) has a better chance at knowing/finding all the places you need to modify.

Asking for a coder was probably a bit lazy by the OP. He probably meant "someone with experience in modifying computer language/ game elements"

I think it comes down to the definition of code and coding.

The xml files that contain the information that you would use to change the values of the ammunition fired, for example, is not code.

Altering those items is not coding it is editing.

Coding would allow you to alter the core functions of the game.

If coding was making a shirt then the editing is just stitching a new button on it.

Oh, I'm not saying you are wrong. Just that you're not necessarily right. =P

For a code monkey (like me, I admit it!) the damage value of a gun is not interesting. It's just a value in a table. Literally. Not doing anything.

The graphics? Irrelevant pixels that have no effect on the game. 97 bit colour depth triple buffered epsilon shading on the weapon graphics? Do not care.

But the actual function used to simulate a partial but not infinitely cascading destruction of a building due to a rocket hit? I'd care about that.

That is code.

Alas, it'll be untouchable in Xenonauts.

Xeno can still be a good game.

It just can't be modder heaven like UFO:ET, where you can rewrite the whole damn game in the script files.

For instance, in my version of it, energy shields are not destroyed when they reach zero points. They have 2 turns of downtime, then they start recharging as normal.

Doesn't change anything they do in combat but it eliminates the micromanagement in re-equipping a soldier for all the burnt-out shields.

I know how to add weapons to the game and to EDIT other things. I just have had a little trouble in the past linking all the art or sound files to a new item in other games. Also, having an assistant means the mods can be developed faster. That's why I asked for multiple Artists, because the same works for them.

BTW: Coding is Editing and Adding to the game XMLs. For example, I would be coding if I edited the rocket launcher or if I copied the code for it, linked to new art, and made a new RPG weapon.

Haven't heard from the OP yet about what kind of mod he is going for.

Got any definite ideas yet or are you keeping it secret so no one beats you to the punch? ;)

As for the hired soldiers stat alteration.

They are random and I am assuming the ranges are set in the game code rather than an external xml file at the moment.

That is just an assumption as I have also been unable to find them anywhere else.

That sort of thing is what Chris is adding to the xml as builds progress but it may be an idea to add it to the modding section as a support suggestion.

Files such as weapons_gc.xml are actually XML code rather than Excel tables, so there is coding to be done. It's no different to coding CSS, for example. Sure. it's very basic coding but adding new weapons is still coding.

At the moment, no, it's not possible to mod the starting level of the soldier stats. There might be a mod value somewhere in gameconfig.xml or config.xml that sets the stat bonus for the starting soldiers though.

You may find this wiki page useful in terms of modding:

http://xenowiki.goldhawkinteractive.com/index.php?title=Master_list_of_what_each_file_controls