Help! Switching off Industrial entirely?

KevinHann

This is perhaps an issue due to my archaic computer, but I'm really struggling with it. The game takes forever to process every single animation frame making it entirely unplayable - but only on Industrial tileset. This understandably forces me to airstrike all such crash sites and I'd like to avoid that.

Is it possible to switch off Industrial and replace it with another tileset somewhere in the config files? I'm open to any suggestions.

yes. it's possible. i've made it for my game, because i'm hate this tileset already (too many obstacles and slow missions, for terror sites it's ok, but 3/4 of mission inside city?)

there are two files in assets\<geoscape? don't remember folder name. the geoscape textures are placed here>\<masks?(single folder)>\

i'm sorry, that I can't provide full path for you, i'm have no access to game right now

files names are tilemask1.png and tilemask2.png, IIRC

also there are file which desribes what color corresponds to which tileset.

to change this files you'll need editor which supports png transparency (paint will not work correctly)

dark grey areas are industrial tileset. you'll need to change tem to yellow\green\mustard .

preferably by mixing them

Yeesss.... but it's going to take quite a lot of work on your part. The most effective way I can think of doing that would be to go through the continent "masks" which determine which areas of the geoscape will trigger which type of map and edit out all the industrial zones on the mask.

edit: ninja'd

edit 2: ninja'd with style

Edited by Max_Caine

Yeesss.... but it's going to take quite a lot of work on your part.

lasso and bucket fills will reduce work times by great margin :)

i've got a question: why are there two files, describing which tileset corresponds to place on geoscape and how does game choose feom which it should took tileset? (atm i'm thinking that it's 50/50, would be glad if somone will give more info)

here are my changed files quite less town tiles, and moved them to one file. plus more middle east and desert maps.

if someone would use it, please use archive. files from foum doesn't support transparency

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

Chris, i'm think it would be better to use this system:

xml where data looks kinda like:

<urop color = "FF0000">

<tileset name = "here goes tilesat name e.g. industrial" chance = "">

<tileset same here>

</urop>

and file where corresponding color selects corresponding data

it would allow to make spots that can spawn more than two tilesets, and set chances of corresponding tileset so we wouldn't have 3/4 of battles in industrial tileset (yes, i'm hate this tileset already)

tileset mask.zip

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

tileset mask.zip

tilesetmask1.png.2933244272b91c89dd7bf08

tilesetmask2.png.d423a341f43aefc0f454aa1

tileset mask.zip

Edited by Sandyxx

A bit off-topic, but I just noticed that the "tundra" tileset is listed in the key to the continent masks. I'd previously spotted the tundra tileset in the mapping/tiles folder but as it's unused, I figured there wouldn't be any ability to integrate it.

However, since it's listed on the key I wonder whether the game still supports the tundra tileset even though the game isn't using it. If it does, it would be possible to add an entirely new tileset into the game. (Totally wish I was an artist, now).

here are my changed files quite less town tiles, and moved them to one file. plus more middle east and desert maps.

if someone would use it, please use archive. files from foum doesn't support transparency

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4111[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4112[/ATTACH]

<urop color = "FF0000">

<tileset same here>

</urop>

it would allow to make spots that can spawn more than two tilesets, and set chances of corresponding tileset so we wouldn't have 3/4 of battles in industrial tileset (yes, i'm hate this tileset already)

Thank you, I've just used the first file twice to entirely delete any damned black color off the world map, will see how it works.

<urop color = "FF0000">

<tileset same here>

</urop>

If such system - reading list of tilesets/colors from file instead of hardcoded list - would be implemented, i know i'll be a happy modder.

It was suggested a long time ago (i know because one of such suggestions was mine and i don't think i was first), and there were numerous attempts and suggestions at making forest and jungle map sets, but to no actual result.

(Yes, i know, development is complete, only bugfixes from now on, but one can dream, right?)

Edited by Lt_Parsons

@Lt_Parsons

my idea is more about setting chances "on which tileset mission with crashed ufo happens"

atm, there are only two random possibility: either the tileset from file *1.png or tileset from file *2.png.

and it's not really good on terms of providing variability (it really depends on base placing, but one can get as much as 3/4 industrial crashsites, and as you probably understand from this thread, this situation is REALLY annoying me, industrial map here or there is ok, but dear god...)

>feels like random generator loves industrial for some reason.

not really rng. if you would look at unmodified files which map tilesets, then you'll found out that there are nearly 80 % of map is covered in industrial color (two americas + huge chink of africa + india and pakistan). look an files uploaded by me earlier in this thread (all pixels in second file with black-green and black-mustard grid would be black in default game, just as mexica and big piece of sahara

so at world scale there is ~80% * 0.5 (first or second file chosen randomly) = ~ 40% of industrial tileset on mission

if we would place first base in america it wil give us flat 50% of industrial tileset in GC.

I like that look of that alternative. My only complaint would be the large amount of desert over south-America (and the absence of urban spaces in Southern US/central America) but I'm not sure whether there's anything that can be done about that without a new (forest!) tileset (WHY AM I NOT AN ARTIST?).

A bit off-topic, but I just noticed that the "tundra" tileset is listed in the key to the continent masks. I'd previously spotted the tundra tileset in the mapping/tiles folder but as it's unused, I figured there wouldn't be any ability to integrate it.

However, since it's listed on the key I wonder whether the game still supports the tundra tileset even though the game isn't using it. If it does, it would be possible to add an entirely new tileset into the game. (Totally wish I was an artist, now).

I suppose I have to thank you for giving me the idea to implement the tundra tileset, I never knew it was still in the continent masks :)

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/10627-Khall-s-Tundra-Tileset