1.03 Morale bar not updating correctly

The morale bar doesn't update upon death/wounding. Got soldiers with 65+ morale who panicked and the bar was still 65/65 upon death of the squadmate. May lead to multiple WTF's if you spot a panicking soldier with 100% morale.

Also I had a situation when the panic state was fleeing but the soldier only dropped items (don't know if it intended).

How to repro - load any ground combat mission - have 1 soldier suicide run to any alien. Check the morale of every soldier. Not everyone will have it lower but some with 100% may panic

Edited by silencer

It happens to me in 1.03 too. Here's one:

zgkxe8I.jpg

Notice her full morale bar, and although you can't see her behind the equip screen, she didn't run anywhere. Also, when fleeing, soldiers stop when they spot an alien.

This guy did run off:

gHmeC8I.jpg

No obvious reason as to why either of these guys fleed too - no one died, no aliens in sight, no psionics, no incoming fire. Just cowardice. The first one got shot, but that was a few turns earlier, and nothing had happened since then.

Edited by Mikhail Ragulin

I've recently done a few experiments on this myself after recognizing the oddity of 73/73 morale soldiers panicking. At the start of a mission I ordered one troop in the back of my chinook to toss a frag grenade into the middle of the other soldiers. This results in massive, expedient, and gruesome death at fairly close quarters.

Interestingly enough, as far as what is reported on the soldier morale bar, the soldiers who panic / break / flee / go berserk tend to have *more* morale after these developments then those who don't. In fact, the only ones with full morale were those who lost it.

My guess is that upon losing morale (assuming they're morale is low enough to affect them), the soldiers check to see if they can hold it together. Only after this check is the morale bar updated, and my bet is panicked soldiers don't run this update. Furthermore, panicked soldiers seem to stop being checked when another demoralizing event occurs. This is the only explanation I can come up with as to why Joe Schmoe with 28 bravery can pee his pants after a grenade seriously injures himself and pops 4 of his comrades like balloons can then run screaming with a reported 28 bravery before quickly settling down next turn at 20 morale or so from a wound.

Edited by aeons00