Epic Moments - Here's mine, what's yours?

Thought it'd be fun to share some "epic moments" you've had while playing Xenonauts.

Here's mine:

Full Dropship on way to 2nd mission is passing by my base. 3 Fighter's I hadn't engaged yet - due to my condor's being out of commission - start chasing. Dropship can't get back to base in time. I have 1 Foxtrot functional in my base. I wait, watching helplessly as the fighter's close in, then as they pass over my base, I launch a desperate sortie with my Foxtrot. 3 Alien Fighter's vs 1 FoxTrot with 2 Alenium Missiles. Foxtrot tails for a second, then engages. Closes in and turns on the afterburner, flying ring's around the fighter's. Get's in REALLY close, and launches 1 missile. Bam, 1 fighter down. Continue to circle and evade the fighter's, waiting for an opportunity. Close is again and fire missile 2. Bam, 2nd fighter down. Out of ammo, must disengage. Retreat and hope for the best, when the smoke clear's, no more fighter's on the map. Woohoo!!!

My guess is I killed the "lead fighter", and the third one, as a support ship, "ran away". Was quite a thrilling battle, and I really felt like I accomplished something miraculous. Great moment in Xenonauts.

In my last alien base assault I landed in a medium Andron base and the terminators just kept coming, my commander was killed but morale held and three guys blew the alien base reactor, they ran back to the base entrance - all shouting 'GET TO DA CHOPPAAA' with Michael Bay style explosions following them.

Any link I can make to a cheesy film moment is good for me.

Trying to clear a Landingship, in the loading bay of the ship i set up some guys to counter whats gonna come down.

Alien Turn: 2 Androns and a Harridan come down, moving up to my guys, missing a few shots.

My Turn: I grab 2 of my assaults and trow 2 Elctroshock Grenades, killing the 2 Androns and knocking out the Harridan (didnt had the captured research yet, so i was happy bout that)

Alien Turn: Harridan comes down with Plasma Blaster, thinking its gonna wreck my guys. 2 Snipers from the entrance and a Rifleman in the middle of the loading bay take a reaction shot, as soon as it tried to move forward, killing the Harridan.

I had one corporal kill 3 sebillians and a harridan with a single bullet.

Sort of a railroad switching yard map, with a large covered work building in the middle and two propane tanks almost side-by-side outside. Three sebs and a harridan come out of/around the building, take a few pot shots, and end their turn in proximity to the tanks. My corporal shoots, massive chain explosion, four aliens dead :cool:

After the celebration and disbelieving laughter from the rest of the squad dies down, though, my heroic corporal takes plasma to his face a few turns later :(

Edited by dpelectric

I had a mission very early in one of my games where there were 3 sebbys hiding just behind the wall inside of a building where I had a couple of assaults that ran out of time units within their line of sight. So I had all my riflemen unload on the wall and destroy it, then had 1 of my machinegunners unload and he killed all three. I felt as much of a genius as I did the first time I played Enemy Unknown when I bazooka'd the wall of a ufo to flank the outsider.

After my elite squad was decimated in an attack on my first alien base (sebillian) I had to do a terror mission with a squad of all privates fighting approximately 18 or so aliens. Every one of them survived. Who needs majors when you can have blind luck?

After my elite squad was decimated in an attack on my first alien base (sebillian) I had to do a terror mission with a squad of all privates fighting approximately 18 or so aliens. Every one of them survived. Who needs majors when you can have blind luck?

Blind luck helps you survive to see the end of the battle. Skill helps you survive to see the end of the war.

Just had another "epic" moment. Or maybe it was a senior citizen moment. Went to throw C4 at a seb, but he wasn't quite in range. Forgot to reset the explosive timer. The C4 guy and three others with him hunker down to try reaction fire if the sebby comes around the pine trees. Next turn the seb does exactly that, and tosses a grenade that badly injures all four soldiers. None of them reaction fire. Then the C4 detonates. I think I saw one of Major Messup's eyeballs on top of the pine trees

Just had another "epic" moment. Or maybe it was a senior citizen moment. Went to throw C4 at a seb, but he wasn't quite in range. Forgot to reset the explosive timer. The C4 guy and three others with him hunker down to try reaction fire if the sebby comes around the pine trees. Next turn the seb does exactly that, and tosses a grenade that badly injures all four soldiers. None of them reaction fire. Then the C4 detonates. I think I saw one of Major Messup's eyeballs on top of the pine trees

Happened to me more than one time. ;)

But I think it is no epic moment, rather an oh-shit moment.

Mine was just recently.

Group of soliders try to enter a battle ship or so, the one with the two transporter platforms right and left of main entrance.

No alien anywhere. Alien turn. One of my soldiers becomes mind controlled and empties carbine into another.

My round, all soldiers move through transporter. The bleeding one has to heal and moves away before that, weapon back in hand.

Next alien turn. The just healed soldier becomes mind controlled and fires to the formerly MCed. Damn.

Now this one is bleeding. Moves away, heal, carbibne back in hand.

Next alien turn. Guess what? The just healed soldier is MCed again and kills the other guy with ...sigh.

Now this teached me to move further away and/or don't leave a weapon in the hand of soldiers who seem the preferred target for MC.

Pvt Gale Foster. He had just joined the squad, straight outta rookie school, replaced one of our veterans who had his head vaporised by a burst of plasma fire the week before. Anyway the mission was a tough one, sebs and reapers terrorising Ulaan Bataar, miles from nowhere and with no chance of backup. The Shrike touches down and out we pour in our wolf armour, laser and plasma rifles at the ready, when out strolls Gale in a freakin T-shirt with an oldskool ballistic rifle. Seems the poor sod hadnt bothered to go down to the armoury and gear up, thought we'd gone on a team building vacation or something. Guys gave him hell for it, the commander was so angry he put him on point duty. Well blow me he survived, got 2 kills, even took down a reaper that ran to within a few metres of him with a burst of lead (after a few of the boys had softened it up first). Anyway we've nicknamed him 4leaf, cause his the luckiest son of a bitch we ever saw, strolling through an alien zombie apocalypse in his blues, even had his shiny parade shoes on.