Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [V8.2 Ground Combat] Hunter LOF/S Issue

[V8.2 Ground Combat] Hunter LOF/S Issue

Again, my search was avid and i couldnt find anything on this.

It seems the Hunter has some kind of 'aura' around it that blocks the operatives L.O.S.

Look at this:

HUNTERLOS2.jpg

To look at it, it looks like a reasonably clear L.O.S. and now ill move the hunter to one side:

HUNTERLOS3.jpg

and the shot opens up, yet if i now move the target cursor to the square just adjacent and behind the alien:

HUNTERLOS4.jpg

the L.O.S. closes again - although by looking at the screen it looks like a reasonably clear shot.

This is easy to replicate.

Apologies if this has already come up.
    A world without laughter is a world of the walking dead.

This hasn't come up before. Odd though, the first one it looks like the shot would be blocked by the front of the Hunter, but not for the third one...

Hard to tell though, but any direct-line shot path that crosses over the 'footprint' of the vehicle will be blocked.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

Achievements:
    Weekling100 Experience Points
    I actually seen this issue from loads of angles and some a even more severe than what can be seen in my third capture above.

This became obvious to me on a mission where there were 2 aliens just outside the rear doors of then Chinook. I moved Hunter just outside and dropped one alien, but missed the other, at which point the Hunter was out of AP. It was when i had to move my operatives out and around the hunter when I began to get confused as to why none them could get a shot on the alien, the next turn tried to move the Hunter out of the way, but it was shot down on the move. This left only 2 operatives with a shot on target, when by looking at the screen - at least 5 should have had a shot. I wish I had the screeenshots to show this. Sorry.

These screens kinda illustrates the problem with square vehicles. If you compare the area they fill to the diamond selection box (just mouseover them), when they're turned on any of the N,E,S,W facings instead of a diagonal one, they basically don't fill their box properly because of the shape of the unit. But they do fill it completely in game terms, so that's where the discrepancy arises.

But I can't really think of any way around this - unless we're actually going to make the vehicle smaller in game terms when it turns on the spot...any ideas?
    Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Not sure. Miss chances for certain sections of the unit? Having some kind of halo around any unit in the shot-path so you can tell why its blocked?

But having it actually become smaller (narrower?) when it turns would probably work, if possibly creating some strange bugs.
    Common wisdom proposes that at minimum 60% of the field of engagement should be rubble and/or on fire. As such the munitions budget has been increased 50%. Operations debriefs have shown that 15% is insufficient for current combat requirements.
    Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

It'd cause issues because people would walk troops into those spaces and then turn it or something.

Perhaps the selection tile on the ground should light up if it's blocking LOS for a shot. That'd at least suggest what was going on.
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

The game logic for the problem is sound, after all just rotating won't change the position of the unit even if it looks that way.
    I can only see two ways around this.
    1. like you said make the unit smaller, however this problem will be most apparent with anything 3 * X. at 2 * X the problem will be there but not so apparent.
    2. Change the Unit Sprite to rotating turrets and not moving the whole unit. (at least on the diagonal line) which might look weird but would fix the problem

The turret idea would be awesome if the vehicles weren't also able to move in the offending directions, but sadly they can.
    chris@xenonauts.com
    @GoldhawkInt

Achievements:
    While the LOS on this shot might be expected to be closed:

HUNTERLOSX.jpg

In this instance:

HUNTERLOSY.jpg

It could be said that the operative is merely using the edge of the Hunter as cover and 'in reality' should be able to keep clear LOS to the target despite it being beyond the front end of the Hunter. Also, once the Hunter dies it is then necessary to continue moving all soldiers out and around the Hunter in order to acquire a shot on the targets and thus exposing them to reaction fire.

I'm sure all of this is already realised and I don't mean to keep pointing out the obvious, but this will impact heavily on the gamers choice to continue using Hunters should the be no remedy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Achievements:
    Oh and sorry for using shots that have the load menu screen in the background. I couldn't be bothered to set up another scenario. And please ignore the file HUNTERLOSC. It's irrelevant.

It'd cause issues because people would walk troops into those spaces and then turn it or something.
    Yes, but surely if you did move an operative into the area the area that it would ordinarily fill and then the player attempted to turn the Hunter, it would just show a RED movement path, telling the player it is impossible for the Hunter to turn it in that direction.