Magnum-nauts

I love this mod. It has style, it has power and it has attitude.

Thanks for making this. :)

Now I'm going back to kill those alien punks.

Thanks. And this also gives me the opportunity to spam out some more update news:

Next edition is nearly done. There's just updating the Xenopedia entries and strings for the new/replaced weapons. And a little bit of adjustment for how much alloys each landed UFO yields.

Terror missions are in from the start of the game. Not too difficult, as they're only low-level aliens (mainly non-coms, with the occasional guard thrown in...and reapers), but it adds a bit of flavour. These are done by scouts (so the crews aren't that big), until corvettes take over at the same time they do in vanilla. Sebs bring reapers along to most missions now, which is always fun. Difficulty-wise, it's nice - probably on a par with vanilla, but a tiny bit more tricky. It's not too easy, but likewise there also shouldn't be the need to save-scum to progress.

And speaking of progress, the research tree has had a bit of a touch-up, involving the combat performance analyses. They're as there are now (1st analysis replaces laser weapons etc), but the requirements are slightly different. One still needs the normal things (e.g. plasma pistol, plasma rifle), but also various autopsies. For example, to get the 1st combat analysis (the old laser tier), one has to have performed an Andron dis-assembly. Which means more fun, as one is left to fight the Androns for a while with the first tier weapons - only then can the combat analysts decide we need bigger guns, if you see what I mean. For the 2nd analysis, the medium drone is needed, and for the last, a wraith. This way, the technology is slightly behind at times, which lends to the desperation/inferiority feeling that the game pervades.

Edited by Mikhail Ragulin

What about the 74 which is much better in every possible way except stopping power since everyone realize 7.62 is crap? And it's not really a crap attitude as much as it is me wondering what the fascination with the 47 is. And I'm sorry for the question, I thought we were being adults here. 3:

Edited by mvm900

Im officially waiting for the new version before i play the game again.

Also, some of us reached adulthood with some tact, but not all so it seems.

Ragulin clearly answered your question, why insist?

Not only that, he even wrote a detailed explanation in game...

What about the 74 which is much better in every possible way except stopping power since everyone realize 7.62 is crap? And it's not really a crap attitude as much as it is me wondering what the fascination with the 47 is. And I'm sorry for the question, I thought we were being adults here. 3:

The answer, good sir, lies in the question.

For progression to work in game, new researched tiers have to provide more power than the previous - or there is no point in doing the research. Now, with AR's being the newest (relatively speaking) line of weapons in the game, it means that there is a lack of variety when it comes to stopping power - their development has been in a period when low-power standardised rounds have dominated gunsmithery. There's only a choice of a few cartridges - 5.45x39mm (and only one weapon from the time period uses this, the 74), the 5.56 nato (of which there are many choices), and the 7.62x39mm (the 47 or any of its clones, bar the vz. 58, which just looked like it). Throw in a couple of exceptions, and we can have the 7.92x33mm Kurz from WW2, and the 7.62x51mm nato (which is more BR territory).

So there's the choice of calibres. In this game, I go 5.56 to 7.92 to 7.62R to 7.62N, based on stopping power (energy). In this method, there's no room for the 74.

As for the fascination with the 47 - I can't answer that question. There's not been any debate about it previously - can you expand on what you mean?

See? Grown up answer. And while I must also state that size doesn't always equal more stopping power. 99% of the time, yeah. But that's just me nitpicking. Anywho it's just this weird idea that the AK47 is quite possibly the best weapon in the world and that no one can possibly make anything better and blah blah. And it's so cool and all that jazz. Also I'd like to try this, as vanilla always gets boring eventually to me. Have any exact day when it will be updated to work with 1.06~?

Yeah, I've tried not to base it purely on size of cartridge - particularly when two are the same-ish size, which is when energy (and maybe velocity) is the defining factor. But the general rule is bigger = more power, except in really close ones like the .303 and .30-06 - then it's almost like flipping a coin. But, let's face it, they're both gonna hurt.

The next release (comp. with 1.06) would be quicker if I stopped playing it. Hopefully that's a sign that it's pretty good. I'd say tomorrow evening at the earliest.

Right then, Magnumnauters, update news. Seeing as there is a new vanilla patch (1.07) preparing itself for release, I'm going to hold off on the next M'nauts release until the new patch is on the stable branch, to avoid any unnecessary confusion. Which, as it happens, means that I will have time to do the threatened image standardising. Here's Clint with the breaching selection to show how things are looking - the original/current images are on the left, the artified ones on the right:

6lvzJln.png

EAYxEa0.png

RashAun.png

Zoom in and take a good look, punks. The edges are much more defined (courtesy of a black border), the colours more in keeping with the game, and they're all exhibiting a glorious imperfectness.

This is awesome. That is all. :cool:

Thanks. However, maybe it just got a little more awesome...some might say "flamin' awesome"...show us what you've got, Clinton:

ZWWzjkf.png

'werfers. With their own sexy new projectile. The top one is disposable, and fits in the backpack, and the second one was used in the 'nam. We've got all your BBQ needs covered. Toasted Caesan? Sure. Crispy Sebillian? No problem.

Why did you choose the long barreled Thompson?

I went for the big tommy for visually symmetry - all the smg's are now of the larger variety (unlike the current ones - mp5, mp5k, uzi) and no longer fit in the backpack, and it fits with the style of the rest of them.

That's awesome.

(Out of wonder, is there an advantage to using burst fire over the pellet function? Just thinking that if you can use the latter over the former it might be a bit more flexible.)

I've tried both...and ended up with similar results. They're both good. Both do this:

E6qahaz.jpg

The stutter comes from firechance and smokechance - the same that causes it on large explosions. And it happens with other impact spectres, not just the vanilla flame one. But, it is curable - setting it to 0 doesn't produce ground fires, but still gets the job done. I'm trying with low settings now - even 10% is too high for a 10 round burst.

A few weapon ideas:

Lebel 1886

Springfield 1861

Single Action Army

M1918A2 BAR

Chauchat(Just for the lulz)

Good suggestions - I've been looking for something to use the 8mm Lebel, the 1886 could be the one. The BAR is already in for the next version.

In 'werfin news, I've fine-tuned the firechance and burst delay, and there'll be another video (of what should be the finished article) once it processes.