Mouse Pointer+Corners

Osvir

Hi!

New member here, I recently bought Xenonauts thanks to

. He has some good pointers on it.

Anyways, back to the suggestion/feature.

I noticed as Yeti was playing that he could explore past the Fog of War and find all the corners on a map. This, in my opinion, is pretty bad. Tactically and strategically it adds a whole different layer of play that is, in my opinion, degenerative. So! What's the idea?

If possible, make the mouse pointer interface on-screen stop at Fog of War. In other words, you wouldn't be able to know where the corners are.

If that's not possible, maybe do something about the camera in a way that, you can't move the camera away from your troops (too far) or similar. This way you wouldn't be able to move your camera all over the Fog of War.

I do think the former would be more interesting though, and it'd make it more difficult for the Player to figure out the map size or layout.

Have a great day :)

I think the way it works now is better than the solution offered. Using that trick to find the edges of the map is merely good play from the player and not an exploit imo.

Quite frankly I would find it absurdly annoying if it was unable to plan a path into FOW because the game was trying to obscure the size of the map. There are players that are annoyed when they find out they have wasted time units trying to explore FoW at the edge of the map and realize they have to backtrack.

It is exploitable, but restricting the ability to move the pointer would be likely to make people angry. What might be a way to prevent the corners from being found and permit freedom of movement is to have infinite blank borders so you can move the mouse beyond the map without realising where the edges of the map are. You wouldn't get lost as you can click on any solider icon to re-center the camera on the solider.

It is exploitable, but restricting the ability to move the pointer would be likely to make people angry. What might be a way to prevent the corners from being found and permit freedom of movement is to have infinite blank borders so you can move the mouse beyond the map without realising where the edges of the map are. You wouldn't get lost as you can click on any solider icon to re-center the camera on the solider.

Or merely just have a circular camera traversable area beyond the edges of the map not much bigger but big enough for the player to have no clue where the edge is (it being circular would further decrease the odds of the player guessing the edges correctly without a fair bit of experience within the game and even then it would be a crapshoot when compared to linear borders).

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I say that since the map edges are an arbitrary gameplay restriction (a totally realistic game would have the entire planet or whatever), the mouse-stop feature is just fine in my opinion, seeing as how it's an arbitrary counter to an arbitrary video-game problem. In the real world, your cursor wouldn't stop at the edge, because there wouldn't be an edge. Or a cursor. But still, the point remains. It's not an exploit, it's a benefit.

Not only that but the whole finding the edges of the map is one side of a coin that people argue in this area.

One side is the "I want the entire map a mystery to be discovered" camp and the other is the "My guys just landed in a helicopter they should at least know were the UFO and buildings are" camp

Both have their points. being able to know where the edges of the map is sort of a middle ground for these opposed groups sort of meet. you can't actually see the edges unless you go looking for them, but if you look for them you can get a general sense of orientation such as "we have landed in the bottom corner of the map so the UFO is not going to be in that Direction.