All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Yes. Great job on the video. I actually downloaded the video and went through it screen by screen to see what has been implemented, and I see why you said what you feel about the various changes. Personally I think you did fantastic with so little resources and with much better communication with the community than many much bigger teams. Enjoy my kickstarter backing!
  3. Yesterday
  4. A new version! Compatible with 0.35, 1.65, etc. It's time to shoot a couple of dozen more uninvited guests ...
  5. I think you're massively underestimating the amount of work that goes into making a Kickstarter video there tbh. Even the video we had there probably took the team a solid two or three weeks, from me writing the script and shooting the video to all the programmers fixing problems and implementing new features so we could have enough "good" gameplay footage to show, to the artist making the maps and staging the combat scenes and recording the gameplay footage and then slicing everything together. The content is the problem, not the actual cutting together of the video ... although that does also take time. Your initial comment on our video was that we needed more staff talking (which we don't have) and more dynamic gameplay, which we didn't really have at the time either (no realtime geoscape or air combat). Also Sven can probably afford to spend plenty of time casually walking around the office chatting to people in his Kickstarter video updates because a) he actually has an office, b) he's probably not project managing the entire team on a day-to-day basis, and c) he's probably not replying to the Kickstarter messages / comments on a day-to-day basis either. Realistically none of that could be easily fixed, which is why I think we did a pretty good job with what we had available to us. I don't have a problem admitting that our video and campaign isn't up to the standards of some of the bigger and more successful Kickstarters by bigger and more successful companies, but we don't have the manpower to match them - particularly when the team need to be focusing on the closed beta we now need to deliver in three months!
  6. Max_Caine

Xenonauts-2: Ground Combat

Actually, that a good point. Will alien panic be in this one? It wasn't in the last one for various reasons.
  7. Ninothree

If you could use panic as a weapon (not just a single target psi attack) I would buy the game twice. Using a tactic to spread panic through the enemy side would be amazing. Night raids on alien encampments. You suffer because you need to use flares to see what you're doing, but you gain from launching a terror strike of your own. Evil
  8. Max_Caine

On Night Operations Night operations in X-Com-a-likes are unpleasant. Mostly because you can't see the alien, but the alien can see you! Generally, night ops tend to be avoided unless there's a big payoff (such as a large, landed UFO). I think that's a shame, as night ops add a spooky air to the game. Would it be possible to make night ops more favorable by adding suitable bonuses/maluses to aliens as well as soldiers? Take Sebillians for example. Their saurian nature might mean they have a strong diurnal cycle, preferring the hours of daylight so they are more fatigued at night, meaning they take a hit to their AP. Psyons might feel more psychologically uncomfortable at night, making them easier to panic. And so on, and so forth.
  9. X-Division 1.00.01 Notes: X-Divison has gone the step to replace vanilla files. There has been an original file added for every replaced one in case you want to deinstall the mod. In case of doubt make a reinstall of the game or verify game integrity through steam. Before applying patches withdraw all scientists and engineers from their current projects. You can reapply them afterwards. You only need to download and install the latest Patch avaialble, it contains all prior fixes as well. The .00 to .01 patch is savegame compatible As a basic rule, never patch during Ground Combat Installation: The Base for this patch has to be version 1.00.00 or higher. This update is not available for versions lower than 1.00.00 . Download the X-Division 1.00.01 Update: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/files/file/31-x-division-latest-patch-09945/ ( MD5: 489d03269506927ae5981dbb0de816be ) Deactivate your ANTIVIRUS/UAC program(s), it can intervene with the installation. As soon as the installation finishes you can activate it again. Start the executable provided in the file. Follow the instruction of the installer After you have used the installer there is no need to change ANYTHING anymore, everything has been taken care of, including scripts, modloader priority, and everything else you may think of. The only time you might want to change something is if you are activating/deactivating No Airgame or change the soldier models. Enjoy . For reference, this is how the modloader can look like after the installation, plus/minus optional mods on/off. DAY 710 Version 1.00.01 "New Dawn" Cleaned up some map stuff, added lost terror maps Revised Exoskelett armour. Predator sets the strenght to 150 now, the Ripper to 190, and the Devastator to 230 from the previous 100/150/200 . Soldier Class Armour got +5 accuracy bonus
  10. "I killed five aliens without dying. I actually feel pretty good about this war."
  11. Wahoo! Yeah! This looks great!
  12. Well, it's good to know it's a known issue, at least.
  13. If you are talking about the tundra tileset than thats not X-Divisions job. This will stay until somebody fixes the Tundra tileset and assigns the correct civilian sprites to it.
  14. Jeez, I thought PayPal is just a service that sends money from one place to another. But other KS projects use it all the time, so why can't you? I doesn't make sense. Couldn't they consider it again? Anyway,@Chris, like you sad yourself, there are other ways to offer pre-orders. For example, one other game in development uses this: https://xsolla.com/ - although certainly there are some less expensive services on the market. Also you can use other crowdfunding services as I mentioned once in other thread. The biggest advantage of that, in my opinion, would be generating additional PR. It would also give you an opportunity to publicly talk about problems with PayPal and how you were mistreated (but you managed regardless) which could be even better for PR. And it would be enough for a few months of selling pre-orders. Or maybe even more if they would agree - I guess Fig would be most likely to go for that because they are in need of more PR ("We're helping devs mistreated by big corporation. We are the good guys"). When it comes to a store, I think it is better than just a simple pre-order in early access without any tiers to choose from. Or with two editions, for that matter. It can be seen especially during crowdfunding campaigns. People like to have multiple choices (there are two factors here; from a psychology perspective having multiple choices makes people feel they’re in control – and also it’s like in a supermarket, i.e. many products on shelves make people more likely to buy something) and they make good use of it. Now imagine there were only two tiers on KS. How much less money would you get? The coverage. Yes, I did see those articles. But I mean these were only news, not any longer articles like some proper previews. Also, Swen and even Vince D. Weller (if someone doesn’t know, he is the creator of a hardcore indie RPG titled Age of Decadence) are doing interviews quite often. The video. In my opinion it’s much easier than you think. I’ve just looked at D:OS 1 KS video and I can assure you it’s not something I couldn’t do. Although I’m definitely not a pro, so I’d need some practice with Adobe Premiere or something similar (I worked only with Photoshop and did a few amateur videos with some simple software) but, with an exception for the music, I know I could do it even by myself. Not to mention how easy it would be for a pro. I know nothing about English market in that regard, but in Poland I know someone who could do it. Thus, if in England it’s too expansive or too hard to find anyone who does videos like that, you can surely find someone in Eastern Europe. Of course it would be much easier and more comfortable to find someone nearby who would do everything by himself. Otherwise you would need to get a camera, a lamp and a stand, record some talks with devs in front of their computers, record in-game footages, think of sentences to put in the video and then send it all to some Google Drive unedited. Then you could try to find someone experienced in video editing. I, myself, know maybe like three people I could ask. Also, you can always (or one of you) learn video editing yourself. It’s obvious you don’t have much free time. But maybe you would benefit from it for years, which would make it worth your time? And in gaming industry marketing trailers are quite an important factor. Few years back there was a study which showed trailers have a greater impact on sales than demos. It’s enough to look at Star Citizen to see how much hype and money trailers can generate. Thus, spending some time and money for making trailers and videos can be like an investment with a good return. And you don’t even need a good camera for making video updates. Just a good mic and simple HD webcam would be enough. If you want, I could ask someone what recording equipment to buy. It won’t be expensive. Certainly not for you, relatively speaking. And you could use it for years.
  15. Bug: X-Division 1.00, everything installed from scratch (I uninstalled and reinstalled Xenonauts to make sure): A shadow moves over the ground to the sound of footsteps. Hunting around I found a tile I couldn't walk into, and fired at it. Eventually I walked onto the tile to find that it contained a human corpse. This is my second mission (nothing odd with the first one) and it's daytime. I've seen the same issue with 0.99.45 once. I'll make a save in case someone is interested in investigating. Edit: Both civilians were just shadows, while the local militia unit looked normal. Edit 2: Happened on the third mission as well. Both "shadow civilian" cases were woodland maps (Soviet Union, if it matters).
  16. Nah, there’s a limit of three consecutive rooms for room merging / adjacency bonuses for that exact reason (mentioned in the earlier post). To be honest the mechanics and balance will no doubt be tweaked a bit anyway, I guess it’s more about the overall perception of how sandboxy the base feels now. Also regarding the interceptors you’ve got a little confused, probably because the terminology is mixed. You can still deploy s group of three aircraft into battle in X2, the real question is whether each of those planes should be an individual plane or a squadron of 5 identical planes. The “squadron” system handles damage better but there might be logic issues if you’re using 15 planes to shoot down a UFO then attack it with 8 dudes on the ground. Same with the weapon manufacturing stuff.
  17. I like this. But for the game, what would that service ribbon / medal do? If it gave a stat boost, you'd be giving a soldier a stat boost on top of them already getting good stats (proficiency). Maybe that is not so bad, say, the ribbons confer bonuses to stats you can't otherwise train (e.g. bravery in X1). The medals don't have to do anything, but I'd much rather have them than rank given that the game has no implementation of chain of command.
  18. @warfrog, the access lift itself could bestow an adjacency bonus, so if you have a lift on one end, only a single room will get the boost. In fact, I feel it would make a lot of sense to have some kind of distance-measure running through the entire base, so adjacency bonuses aren't just for buildings touching sides - for example, if you have a lab on the lowest floor that is nine tiles away from the lift, those scientists are going to suffer some inefficiency.
  19. jamoecw

Xenonauts 2 Development Overview

basically it has simpler economy, less of a strategy layer, no research or combat vehicles, and a simplified damage model. relative to XCom of course. with all of that being said it had just as many variables that mattered as XCom. this means that the detail in what it encompassed was incredible, and that is what makes people say that it is complicated, and why jagged alliance 2 is considered as good as it is. it also has copious amounts of humor and a decent storyline (at least for the time). some people are fine with the complication that comes with the level of detail, and some are fine with the amount of complication as long as it isn't due to the level of detail. if you are the latter then it isn't the game for you. there have been a few attempts to remake JA2 and to simplify it to gather a wider audience, and they have all met with failure. there is a rather popular mod called 1.13 (sort of like a patch) which boosts the complexity a fair bit as well.
  20. Speaking for myself of course, the Xenonauts 2 GOG newsletter was near perfectly timed. The summer sale had just finished which had introduced for the first time on GOG, XCOM - Enemy unknown @ 75% discount (both first release and the discount), which was literally an instant buy (I never bought the game originally because of the DRM). I had nearly finished a full playthrough but had been looking at mods to help improve gameplay and a newsletter came in about Xenonauts 2 and a free demo. Perfectly timed in my opinion, as I certainly had xcom based games at the top of my thoughts when that letter arrived. I had a quick look at the demo but then dived into a new Xenonauts game (using the CE mod). Both XCOM from Firaxis and Xenonauts are great games, but I remembered one of the things I very much loved about Xenonauts (The Weapon & Xenopedia artwork and writing is gorgeous and the CE "Lore+" mod with the additional images felt like part of the original release). I'm wary of kickstarters and prefer to pay for the product once it is finished, so this is my first time pledging a kickstarter. On another note, I feel that the free giveaway would of been better done at the same time as the Xenonauts 2 alpha anouncement on GOG, but I don't know if this would of made any difference or not.
  21. Last week
  22. I'm admittedly not caught up with the full thread. I wasn't aware that the no interceptors at ATLAS was in active discussion. I do like that idea though. As my last post said it makes sense from a logistics standpoint to limit airtraffic near the head of your top secret operation. Probably not the place for it but I feel these threads are bleeding together due to their nature. I'd prefer single interceptors with the ability to make squads of up to 3 like X1. I know the interceptor minigame is gone but that type of deployment I feel fits better with the design and feel you seem to be going for. You mentioned wanting some sort of a readiness mechanic and for players to be limited in what they can respond too. The feel of the small specialized team doesn't really mesh IMO with the 5 plane squads. Given ground squad size is likely to remain the same with 8>10>12 squads of 5 planes would seem silly. How could this resource limited organization field more advanced anti UFO aircraft with trained pilots then ground troops. Lastly what just some comments on the access lifts. Based on what you mentioned before, it seems there is no limit to adjacency bonus and building an entire floor of labs (or anything else really) would be a valid strategy. This to me says access lifts should always be built on one far side to max that. Since you also said you don't have to wait for 1 building to complete to build the next one it seems the only down side to doing the access lifts to one side would be 1 one space is loses you, assuming that the level 2 to 3 lift comes prebuilt at the start. While I'm not fully opposed to "only 1 right way" situations I feel there should be at least some trade off. Perhaps something like increased build time for distance from the access lift. Just something to make the other build style have some merit.
  23. So in this concept this would be the main base and wouldn't handle radars or interceptors. It just holds the Xenonaut dropship that delivers your troops around the world. Your interceptors are housed on Geoscape airbases that contain only radars and jets (whether this is a good idea or not is the other major discussion going on in this thread). You get one of these at the start of the game which you get to place anywhere, containing one Condor. The squadron change is something that might be reversed because I'm leaning towards having plane weapons individually manufactured this time, rather than the auto upgrade system we had in the first game. You start to run into logic problems if your engineers are building enough weapons to arm a whole squadron of aircraft in the same time it takes to build a laser rifle. We'll just have damage last longer on the planes instead.
  24. As I have stated in the past, service ribbons, and medals, at great for showing others that you are a valuable member of the team, that is in belonging to one, but it should also be an indication of the level of proficiency that a soldier has achieved in any craft that he has trained in.
  25. Ruggerman

Xenonauts-2 Kickstarter completed!

Congratulations! Looking forward to the developments installments, I have been a keen player of this genre since the early 1990's with "Enemy unknown" and all of it's following incarnation. Great to be getting back in the saddle!!
  26. Rosen84

And something interesting: Julion Gollop (original xcom's "father") is here in Bulgaria and is making a game wtih cheap programers, "phoenix point" or something like that. The same stupid mistakes, now in 3D... Like an old ignorant lady who thinks 3D is "modern" and is the key improvement to his 25 years old bullshi...aaghhhh game. So, now gollop is no "father", it's more like a grandmother. Rosen, Bulgaria
  27. Rosen84

Congratulations! From what I see, this time your game is turn-based. This time you made a game, not just a copy of the original game which was some ridiculous mix of turn-based game with a pause, forward...mini real-time arcade plane game. You said this time you make your vision how the game must be, not just a copy. Maybe this is why your kickastart campaign is so successful. I hope the Geoscape will remain turn-based. I hope the air combat will be turn-based or auto-resolved. There is no room for real-time mini stupid arcade games implemented in to a serious game. This was a mistake in early nineties and it was mistake to copy it in xenonauts 1. But anyway. This time you made a game (I hope). Rosen, Bulgaria
  28. I'm like this a lot more then my first impression of antfarm from the kickstarter video. How do you see the hanger functioning currently. It's obviously in it's own separate section above ground from the picture but what's it capacity/upgrade mechanic? In the other threads I read that interceptions are teams of 5, or less if they've taken damage. I'm not sure what the initial airforce size is planning to look like but extrapolating from X1 where you get 2 condors, would 2 condor teams be expected? Even expanding that once or twice would take be huge surface real estate investment for a hidden base. I'm starting to think the antfarm style and expandable hangers are mutually exclusive from each other which may not be a bad thing. If ATLAS is heavily limited in terms of interception capability it would encourage players to build hanger bases sooner. The other thing that comes to mind is making atlas a fixed location with no interceptors and start the player by picking a location for their first interception base. Logically this limits air traffic near your main HQ which would make it harder for the aliens to detect and cut off the head.
  1. Load more activity