Soldier Equip Screen Crash

I'll have something up in 10 minutes or so. I just wanted to re-verify the game to make absolutely sure there's no mod influence. Assuming I can still produce the crash after that, I'll post a save up (although I produced it on at least three different missions, so I'd be surprised if it was save/mission specific.)

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y86q5cxbkl6l89w/CTD%20Test.sav

Just repeat the steps as above.

One thing I did just notice, though, is that it only happens if the soldier dies in a single action. The first time I tried using this save, I hit but didn't kill the healer. I subsequently killed them, but there was no CTD. However, when I reloaded and did it again, they went down in a single burst, and I got a CTD as expected.

EDIT: Although I just had a similar instance where they didn't die in one shot and it did CTD afterwards. Although the dead soldier was also not in the drop zone when they died that time.

Edited by kabill

Doesn't matter. I've done a mix and it happens every time, regardless of which soldiers I use.

(Why does this make no sense? Literally every time I do it - save that one time where I didn't kill the solider in one go - I get a CTD. I've tested it on maybe a dozen ground missions now, every time the same. AHHHHH).

EDIT: There seems to be a relatively short time-period in which clicking on the soldier equip button will cause the crash. I just tried leaving it ~15 seconds before clicking on it, and no CTD. But anyway, bed now.

Edited by kabill

Somehow i succeeded to reproduce it with your save and actions. Now trying to make it crashing every time.

I have noticed a strange thing: sometimes when i go to equip screen after mission aborting i'm viewing my dropship crew and sometimes - my base crew. It is possible to switch from dropship crew to base crew, but not from base crew to dropship (it has grey color)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267704537

Edited by sskolot

Not sure I've ever been glad to see someone CTD before!

Odd thing, though: I've just tried reproducing the crash on my laptop with a completely clean install, and I'm not able to reproduce it there. I've only tried a couple of times, mind, so it's possible it still happens. But it's odd considering I was getting literally every single time on my other machine.

I don't know. If it's been reproduced elsewhere, that implies there's actually an issue and it isn't just something I've done to my version somehow (although I don't know what that would be, since as I say I rolled back all mods that I had installed on it). Perhaps then it's worth investigating in-code, even if it's not the main cause/issue?

Hmmm, I managed to reproduce this once but I can't do it every time.

The one time I did it, I followed your instructions exactly and it worked fine. Most of the fails were when something different happened, like the soldier was killed with a couple of shotgun blasts or an MG burst instead of a single AR burst.

However, I repeated it immediately afterwards and the game didn't crash. So it's not 100% repro steps...but there might be something in it.

Would it help at all if I completely wiped the game and started from scratch to remove any possibility it was being affected by lingering mod stuff? This shouldn't have been the case, as the game had been fully rolled back, but strictly speaking there's some extra image files and the like lingering around the folders, and it's plausible the validation process wasn't 100% effective.

I'd been putting off doing this due to the time it takes to download, but I can see about doing it if you wanted to know whether the crash happens with my machine 100% of the time after a completely fresh install.

(Sorry if this has turned out to be a big waste of time.)

Something I noticed last night, when you go from geosphere to solider equip CTD, but when you go from another icon first (research, workshop, build etc.) and then to soldier equip not CTD. I played for over 5 hours last night as long as I went to another icon first np, but if the went to soldier equp first (about 6 to 7 times) CTD every time.

Something I noticed last night, when you go from geosphere to solider equip CTD, but when you go from another icon first (research, workshop, build etc.) and then to soldier equip not CTD. I played for over 5 hours last night as long as I went to another icon first np, but if the went to soldier equp first (about 6 to 7 times) CTD every time.

I clearly remember some equip screen CTDs after opening science\workshop screens.

Seems like I have a 5% probability to crash with kabill's save file and healing/shooting instructions.

For what it's worth, after a completely clean install without anything at all done to it, I was able to reproduced the crash first time.

Cannot fathom why there's such a difference between this machine and others. It's absurd.

Sorry for deleted post.

V1.03, win8 x64 - still crashes:

Started new game on veteran difficulty. At first ground control combat:

1) Make same heal&kill steps as kabill described. For example with my save:

- Select soldier 4, shoot soldier 5 with single bullet.

- Select soldier 7, equip medpack and heal soldier 5.

- Select soldier 8, burst shoot soldier 7 to death.

2) Abort mission.

3) Click on equip screen button.

4) 1 of 10-20 tries = crash. If not crashed, load save file and repeat.

Honestly, I think some steps with healing&killing are unnececcary. I managed once to crash the game with kabill's save file without any actions besides abort mission. My last crash was even without healing anyone, only killed 5th soldier.

Is there any way to collect debug logs or crash dump?

I found one suspicious process activity using Process Monitor. Last action with \Xenonauts\assets before crash was

0:54:46.3074339 xenonauts.exe 800 QueryNameInformationFile D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\GC_UnitsXML.pfpfp SUCCESS Name: \Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Xenonauts\assets\GC_UnitsXML.pfp

Screenshot of filtered procmon logs: http://imgur.com/5lMIPtC

Noticed .pfpfp extension? I think there might be somethink like char[] buffer handling error while loading some resource files.

UPD: Seems like I was wrong. It wasn't the last action with \assets folder. But this .pfpfp extension look really suspicious.

UPD2: Well or I wasn't completely wrong. Remaining actions with files in \assets folder were only CloseFile :) and after

0:54:46.3566092 xenonauts.exe 800 Process Create C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\WerFault.exe SUCCESS PID: 2816, Command line: C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\WerFault.exe -u -p 800 -s 5400

creation

UPD3: ProcMon logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6yikosdaopiz0k/procmon_logs_crash_equip_screen.zip. To make it look clearer enable filter with include "assets" in path.

UPD4: Updated screenshot

Crash_equip_screen.sav

Crash_equip_screen.sav

Crash_equip_screen.sav

Edited by sskolot

Honestly, I think some steps with healing&killing are unnececcary. I managed once to crash the game with kabill's save file without any actions besides abort mission. My last crash was even without healing anyone, only killed 5th soldier.

And the ridiculous thing is, I've completely failed to produce the crash *other than* the method I outline above!

I'm going to have a quick check-out of your save to see what happens when I use it. Might be useful to know whether I can reproduce consistently still.

Also, I tried to look at the image you posted but the resolution is too low to read it.

EDIT: Can't seem to get my 1.03 version of the game to recognize the save game, but I could load it fine on my backup version and got a CTD first try again.

Edited by kabill

I had my first equip screen CTD in a while now.

A soldier died on the previous mission in a perhaps less-than-usual way. He threw a flashbang, missed, it exploded right in front of him, causing a bit of damage. An alien reaction fired and killed the soldier. That was the only interesting thing to happen on the last mission. I did not heal anybody or have anyone else get wounded on the mission.

This is just to notify you that the soldier equipment crash is still in the game, unfortunately. I have had two crashes when clicking on the Soldier Equipment Screen after a ground combat. It seems even harder to specify what is causing it now than before. Now it seems to be at random. In both my crashes I did not get a wounded soldier, and therefore did not use the medikit. I save every turn, and I think I loaded the game during ground combat in both of these two crashes. Not sure about this, but I might have had a soldier wounded or killed in both of these battles, and then reloaded the game to try again. I also noted that after the battle some soldiers was promoted and some got a boost to their health. Maybe that is a factor? On the other hand I am pretty sure I have had soldiers gaining ranks and health before without causing the game to crash. As before, loading the game during the ground combat will not reproduce the crash.

I have a very general and vague idea of what might be the cause of this crash. I still think it is related to saving and loading the game during ground combat. Can it be that the state of the game is not properly restored in some situations when loading the game during ground combat? But when restarting the game and loading a game in geoscape the state of the game is properly set. Just a thought.

- Start a ground mission.

- Get one of your soldiers to shoot another.

- Heal that soldier with a medikit.

- Kill the soldier who did the healing.

- Abort mission.

- Click on the equipment tab.

I can't get the crash at all both for 1.02 and 1.03.

Edit: I just got my first crash after release.

Strangely it happened after I tried to load my game and go on after I did the above experiment a few times. Load into geoscape, click equipment screen CTD. Working on it now.

Edit: After experimenting for about 15 times, I could get the crash for 2 more times under such circumstances:

Preparation:

1-Down a Ufo.

2-Save for continuing normally after frustration.

3-Get into equip screen, get all 8 soldiers to Sniper loadout

4-Get back to geoscape, Save for experimenting.

Experiments:

A:

1-Do the above kabill steps experiment a few times, no crash for me

2-While trying, Accidentally one-shot and kill a soldier (no healing involved), abort mission, Equipment screen CTD

B:

1-Do the kabill experiment a few times, no crash

2-Do the experiment without healing, just kill one soldier, return, no crash

3-Frustrate finally, load the save to go on the game, Equip screen CTD

I got the crash 1 time with A, 2 times 2 with B in about 15 trials. I always experimented with the same set of soldiers to eliminate index/selection issues. Seems to be quite reliable repro but not a sure way.

I have Core2 Quad, Nvidia Q9400, 2.66 Ghz, 2GB Ram, WinXP, Windowed mode

Only standard ballistics involved, light scout mission, no aliens, just land, experiment fly away, return home, equipment screen. One version even was a direct load into geoscape, then base view, then equipment screen, CTd. No air superiority this is v1.03.

Edited by Caaygun

Can it be that the state of the game is not properly restored in some situations when loading the game during ground combat? But when restarting the game and loading a game in geoscape the state of the game is properly set. Just a thought.

I'd just like to add that I very rarely save/load during a combat mission and have never encountered the soldier equip screen crash.

If it's useful to know, this would apply to me as well.

Although, the process I've posted about before I can make happen without there being any saving/loading involved. But I think we've established that my machine is a special snowflake in this regard.

- Start a ground mission.

- Get one of your soldiers to shoot another.

- Heal that soldier with a medikit.

- Kill the soldier who did the healing.

- Abort mission.

- Click on the equipment tab.

I've gotten very successful reproduction of this crash (which I have yet to experience beyond otherwise) using kabill's instructions as well...in fact just about everything kabill has gone though so far has described my experience with this crash so far (only been testing for an hour or two)

I have the feeling it might have something to do with Wolf Armor, too. I had a single crash during the entire game so far, equipped the first armors (while nothing else changed) and now I'm getting it regularly, as in nearly every equip screen click after a mission.

I have the feeling it might have something to do with Wolf Armor, too. I had a single crash during the entire game so far, equipped the first armors (while nothing else changed) and now I'm getting it regularly, as in nearly every equip screen click after a mission.

Its not wolf armor because i don't have it yet, and i just got the CTD when trying to equip my soldiers.