Gas grenades working?

So, guys, I'm having mixed experiences with the gas grenade.

When I first tried to use them against the aliens, they looked very underpowered and almost never worked to bring down an alien, even when the spend a turn in the gas or run through it. But on the other hand, I'm using a mod that makes alien thrown gas grenades at me, and it seens to work very well especially if I leave a soldier in the gas.

So... how are the gas working to you? Maybe I'm using it wrong, lot leaving enough time to the aliens to breath it?

Smoke grenades are basic and important tactic against Caesans and Androns. A single smoke grenade can cover huge amount of tiles to reduce about 50% to 70% the original accuracy value. Is like a portable cover.

In other hand, Sebillians can see through smoke (IN XNT:ITD they use it to reduce Xenonauts accuracy and get panic) so using smoke grenades against this race is useless. Important tip, when your in range combat try to use the smoke grenade as your last action, covering your soldiers each time you end the turn.

Try experiment the reaction of Alien AI when you throw a grenade in the middle of the combat, never in you squad, use it like a screen.

I don't know if recent changes have been made, but in the games I've played stun grenades can take a few turns to work. If you lob a couple into a room, shut the door, and let a turn or two go by, you'll hear them squawking and passing out.

That sounds evil! I will feel bad with myself if I do it! Shooting them would be more decent!

Ok, kidding. Maybe I'm expecting it too work to fast, I dunno.

In early missions it's nice to have stun gas asap.

In the current experimental version I packed my soldiers with flashbangs and right in the second mission one of the Sebillans hid in a barn. I didn't want to follow, but with the thrown flashbangs it got stunned. Sometimes even this works. Suppression + stun damage = whee.

Especially now with the few aliens in the last room of the bigger scouts it's quite nice to have stungas. Shoot the 2nd door open with an MG or whatever and then fill it up with gas. Better than to lose someone to reaction fire.

I'm playing unmodded stable version...I'm in late November game time and am fighting a lot of Corvettes. Gas grenades have been working very well for me against both Ceasan and Sebillians. I'm guessing Androns can't get gassed, but I haven't tried them.

I'm playing unmodded stable version...I'm in late November game time and am fighting a lot of Corvettes. Gas grenades have been working very well for me against both Ceasan and Sebillians. I'm guessing Androns can't get gassed, but I haven't tried them.
Androns are machines. Unaffected by gas. Electro-shock grenades kill them though.

Androns are machines. Unaffected by gas. Electro-shock grenades kill them though.

That's what I figured. Haven't gotten electro-shock grenades yet. They're in my research queue, though.

Just played through a base attack and gas grenades did most of the work. Was facing Ceasans. I just holed up in my command center until the aliens opened the door (only took them like 2 turns). Then I pumped a gas grenade outside, sometimes followed by a smoke grenade so they'd feel compelled to run into the gas. I don't know how may I took out that way, but I just kept the gas going and took the occasional pot shot at them. Finally they stopped coming and I had to hunt them down. Found 5 last holdouts in my NE most hangar. Minimal base damage and only lost one soldier. He was a pain the butt anyway, getting panicked by psionics and shooting Big Bertha, my newest beefy heavy weapons gal. No one cried at his passing.

I've found them invaluable on terror missions, too. Well, at least those w/out Androns. Those guys can be a real royal pain.