Medikits and Time Value

soapmode

(Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, I'm still reading through the forum.)

It always struck me as odd in X-COM that you could have a soldier move up to an injured teammate, heal them of their wounds, and then the teammate could go ahead and take his full turn. The same happens in Xenonauts. Wouldn't it make more sense for each use of a medikit to subtract time units from the medic AND the patient, since the patient would have to wait in place whilst they received treatment?

Also, I notice that you can use a medikit many times over for very little time unit cost and heal someone up to maximum. Possibly this is a bug or the result of incomplete code, but I much preferred X-COM's approach, whereby injuries would result in a number of location-specific wounds which could each be healed once (and the time unit cost only allowed for one or two heals per turn).

Soapmode there's a few problems with subtracting from the patient as well. What if he's panicing or unconcious? are you not supposed to be able to heal him then? I guess panicing might theoretically be something that in real life would prevent you from helping him, but not allways. And we still have to consider this from a gameplay point of view. It would be frustrtating to not be able to heal a soldier because hes panicing 4 turns in a row while he's bleeding out or whatever.

PS Is healing multiple times more effciient then simply rightclicking to use more AP to heal a single time? DS.

Soapmode there's a few problems with subtracting from the patient as well. What if he's panicing or unconcious? are you not supposed to be able to heal him then? I guess panicing might theoretically be something that in real life would prevent you from helping him, but not allways

The solution would be to still allow a medic to heal a soldier who had zero APs, and only subtract them if they're available. Alternatively, the medikit action could have a base cost which is split between medic and patient, with the medic taking the full cost for a patient who's out of APs (and so simulating it taking more effort to heal a panicked patient, or attempting to heal a patient who's moving and firing etc.).

Personally I think it adds a bit more realism (I always read the situation as all soldiers acting at the same time rather than each soldier moving whilst everyone else on the team awaited their turn).

Personally I think it adds a bit more realism (I always read the situation as all soldiers acting at the same time rather than each soldier moving whilst everyone else on the team awaited their turn).

I personally can't really imagine it happening at the same time, mostly because you don't send a soldier to shoot the alien harassing you after another soldier has already killed it. He acts on other orders according to the knowledge that the alien is good well and dead.

If it was happening all at the same time the alien wouldn't fall down dead untill you hit the end turn imo... no matter how much you overkill it.

It becomes even harder to imagine that it happens at the same time should you use 3 soldiers to kill2 aliens where the first blocks line of fire to the second one. If one soldier spends all his AP to shoot and hit the first alien without him dying. The second soldier spends some of his AP shooting and killing the first alien, and some more shooting at the second alien. And the third soldier spend all of his AP shooting on the second alien. Assuming that course of events take place at the same time you end up with a bit of a conundrum or possibly even a timeparadox. The thrid soldier is obviously shooting on (and hitting) the second alien before the first alien is dead since during this whole time your first soldier failed to kill him and did not have a clear shot at the second alien at all.

I'm not positive to any element that enhances the impression that this all takes place at the same time, mostly because Imo it has a negative impact on gameplay and it's already too hard to believe simultanious action for me to bring anything for me. That kind of immersion will have to take a backseat to gameplay for my part. Possibly if you come up with something that does not negativly impact gameplay for me and still aids the illusion of simultanious action it could interest me.

Edited by Gorlom

In what way is it annoying?

I don't think I've actually used it more than twice so would be interested to hear why you feel that way.

It heals 5hp per action. You have to click on the medkit then click on the injured soldier. If the soldier have lost 30 hp then you have to repeat this procedure 6 times. This is much worce then click-click-click in xcom:eu

It heals 5hp per action. You have to click on the medkit then click on the injured soldier. If the soldier have lost 30 hp then you have to repeat this procedure 6 times. This is much worce then click-click-click in xcom:eu
KOKON: after clicking on the medipack rightclick to change "aiming mode" to require more AP. It will heal more HP the more AP you commit to the action this way.

Sounds like a balance problem to me.

The amount healed is probably a placeholder.

You should be able to alter its current settings in weapons_gc to see how that affects it.

If I remember it says it does -50 damage in that file, not sure how that translates to 5 health back.

If you do change the file let us know how it affects the medipack.

I agree with the original poster that a medkit usage should be more time-consuming.

If not substracting AP the game could use "turns to heal" mechanics. That would add one more tactical element - you wouldn't be able to heal a soldier in the middle of firefight - you would have to evacuate him to a safe spot where healing could be applied. Depending on the wounds it could take 1/2/3 turns and when interrupted it would cure only minimal amount of health.

Maybe we should go more into X-Com Apocalypse approach where a damage to soldier resulted in HP loss and a critical wound that caused further HP loss until treated.

A healing screen with soldier pulse (+sound) and critical wounds locations would add to the game in my opinion.