Question about Alien spawn locations.

Hi again, I'm back with a question after having played roughly another 20 hours of the game on the latest experimental build. Do Aliens have the ability to spawn in "tricky" locations, such as it was the case in the original game? I am thinking of aliens spawning on the second story of a building, or even on a roof, or spawning right behind your landing craft just waiting to screw you over? I haven't experienced a single occurrence of this in what i would guess is above 50 ground missions. It's gotten to the point where i don't bother checking the second story of buildings because i never need to. I'm just wondering if others have a different experience than me, and if that is not the case I want to ask if this has something to do with balance concerns? Thank you.

Alien spawn points are determined on the particular map, but Aaron generally puts in more spawn points than there are actual aliens in the UFO, so they spawn randomly. There are spawn points outside dropships, but these are fairly few and far between because there was a lot of complaining about that particular "feature". Sadly, aliens cannot spawn in the top half of buildings, but the alien AI can be adjusted to prefer going into buildings and going upstairs.

...But I'd love an "oh shit" moment like that, haha :D

Guess I'm in the minority here though and that's fine.

EDIT: I wonder what the reason is for not placing spawn locations on the second story of buildings tho? Coding limitations?

Edited by Monifix

It's because spawn points are set in the Level Editor rather than the Sub-Map Editor, and the level editor doesn't support different levels. There's a more complex explanation than that but I don't really have time to go into it - it's an unfortunate side effect but the other possibilities have other problems associated with them too.

• 2 weeks later...