Resoultion Errors, right most screen unviewable

now forgive me if i have missed something but i cant seem to view the left most side of my screen in the highest Res' i can use (1280 x 1024 5:4). is that intended ? did i miss something saying that 5:4 is not supported ?

If so is there a work around or fix of somekind ?

Sadly, widescreen will not be possible but so far i have not tried a windowed mode i'll do that now, and i may have got the 5;4 thingy wrong (never been good with that). and another fail on my part its the RIGHT of the screen, that gets cut off, my bad.

I typed that last post just after waking up, so sorry about the confusing false info

Nah, your resolution suggests you're right and you do have a 5:4 monitor. I'm also surprised to see that 7% of Steam users have a 5:4 monitor, as I don't think I've seen one.

Our game is unfortunately very bad at supporting non-standard resolutions because of the awful engine we have, which makes UI design incredibly hard (I've also made a couple of questionable design decisions on the matter in the past, unfortunately).

It might be that the game just won't work properly for you. Windowed mode is your best bet, but then you might find the game text too small to be playable. If that's the case, I guess we'll have to see if we can get you a refund somehow.

Playing in a window seems to render everything right, till the window is equal to the natice Res' then the same issue happens the far right is cut off. shame would be nice to be able to play full screen, But alas windowed will do.

The reason the window cuts off again when you get close to the native resolution is because of another problem with the engine.

It defaults to full screen mode rather than using a window at that point so your original problem returns.

I used to have a 5:4 monitor as well, lasted me for years so if the rest are as reliable that would explain why 7% of steam users have one, they are all probably refusing to replace it until it breaks down ;)

It isn't so much lack of support from the engine but the way the UI works.

The current system just cannot take into account all aspect ratios.

The elements move around the screen slightly depending on the resolution the game is running in so they have positions relative to the corners of the screen rather than absolute positions.

As you can imagine positions set for widescreen aspect rations do not translate well to non-widescreen and vice versa.

To support the non-widescreen would likely mean reworking how the UI works at the most basic level or making multiple UIs for different aspect ratios.

The game engine is not a good one either.

Goldhawk are using a 3rd party game engine (playground SDK) which is barely fit for purpose.

They also have no access rights to alter the game engine in any way and their requests for access rights were ignored by the engine devs.

Then part way through developing Xenonauts the engine was no longer supported by the owners so support is unlikely to ever be forthcoming, even if they had bothered to answer queries in the first place.

A 5:4 monitor? I don't think I've even seen one of them before.

... really? SXGA was the de facto standard for mid-sized computer displays (17" and 19") for a great many years before widescreen became the norm. Cheap little monitors were usually 1024x768, and the really big spenders could splurge on 1600x1200 displays, but for everyone else, 1280x1024 was it. My main display was 1280x1024 from 1996 until 2007, and I don't think I got rid of my last 1280x1024 monitor until about 2009 or 2010. One of my displays here at work is still 1280x1024. Damned near every gamer had them until relatively recently.

SXGA monitors are going the way of the dodo, since everything is made as widescreen now, but they aren't rare and mythological beasts. They're just old, is all.

I'm 27, but I can't really comment on your perceptions of my age. If it helps, after having spent five years working on this project I feel like I'm about double how old my birth certificate tells me :)

I think I've always had either 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9 monitors myself. Certainly from the point where I started caring about resolutions, at least.

I edited the age comment out, because I realized when I read it back that it was silly and pointless.

If you've ever had a non-widescreen 17" or 19" monitor, either CRT or LCD, it was probably 5:4. Aside from some high-end screens that were 1600x1200, those screen sizes always were (and still are!) typically 1280x1024.

I'm 27, but I can't really comment on your perceptions of my age. If it helps, after having spent five years working on this project I feel like I'm about double how old my birth certificate tells me :)

I think I've always had either 4:3, 16:10 or 16:9 monitors myself. Certainly from the point where I started caring about resolutions, at least.

Only 27!?!? Wow. I thought you were much older like 40's. I admire your ambition. So, you've spent 20% of your lifetime working on this! LOL