Roof Toggle default?

What's peoples opinion on Roof Toggle default? Currently it's set on 0 (roof always off at the beginning of a ground combat) but I prefer it set to 1 (Roofs always on at the beginning of a ground combat). I have played lately with roofs on and I love how the game looks.

I feel a huge amount of graphical flavor is missed when roofs are off on default and the maps look great with full structures and roofs. Gold Hawk has put probably hundreds of hours of work on maps' roofs and beautiful structures so it's a bit sad most players will never see them as there is not that much need to ever toggle roofs on.

So what do you guys think, should roof toggle be set "on" by default?

Edited by Skitso

I think roof toggle on by default, with a better transparency system would be the best solution.

Currently, it can be difficult to shoot at or move towards certain locations due to a lack of aliens, xenonauts or civilians creating transparency. Having transparency be a function of whether the mouse cursor is there or not makes it possible to have the roof on without compromising gameplay.

Without a better transparency system, the first thing I would do if roof was toggled to "on" by default is to switch it off, since it obscures my vision too much.

Early on the rooves were left on and there was a lot of grumbling about it, (as in each time there was a new build people would compain about the rooves) so it was changed over and I don't think it will change again as the complaints would come back very quickly.

There's nothing wrong with roofs, it's a correctly formed plural. The way I spell it is how I was brought up to spell it, and it's hard to break the habit. (Although "correctly formed" in a mercurial language such as English is always up for debate).

Perhaps a system like wall transparency and Ufo sprite omission can be implemented like this:

Buildings, or roofed enclosures display fully when player has no vision of insides and has spotted no units inside just like Ufo sprite covers the entire interior when there is no vision of insides. I agree with having more capability of seeing roofs would enhance the game, I didn't notice there were palm trees and street lamps (yeah I mean them appearing as stumps in level 1 cutaway) only until it came to my mind that, hmm. lets see what is there in the upper floors. For the dropship too, when everyone leaves it it should display full just like an alien ship does. Turning this on could be an option in game (like a button 'Force cutaway').

That wouldn't help with the main issue for me which is that once those rooves toggle on you cannot see anyone who may be stood behind that building.

It is bad enough trying to see everyone when they are stood behind a single level of wall but having the roof display all the time when no one is inside the building just means you cannot see anyone or anything two or three ties from the wall due to the height of the buildings.

You also struggle to find a good spot to move your troops to as the area is generally obscured.

I would love to see more of the tiles and artwork but without some kind of smart transparency function it is more annoying than anything else.