Random Help / Questions

Hey hey, been a while since I posted on here, but recently got back into playing and I'm having a few issues, Not sure if they're bugs, or just me being bad, so I'll list them here and see what you all think..

Alien Weaponry

Researched and picked up a few alien plasma's, Can shoot them in missions but as soon as the mission ends and I go back to base, there's no alien weapons to choose to equip my squad, And the weapons I had picked up during the mission are gone. Is this a bug, if not, now do I equip my squad with the weapons, or more so, how do I "keep" the weapons equipped?

Shield Use

I've been using shield carriers for a while, Shotgun chasing up behind me, makes for a nice tactic, but recently in the past few games, They've been getting one shotted, No shield degradation, just plain "one shot - One kill" on my troops, Is this normal?

Air Combat

Only in month one but already, every aircraft I have is out of commission due to none of them being able to win a fight against even a light scout. I've tried manual combat and I lose constantly, head to head just ends up with my aircraft and the ufo sharing the same pixel on the map and while the UFO can shoot at me, I can't shoot back

Big Black Map Areas

Loaded up a crash site earlier, and where I Assume buildings are meant to be there was nothing but giant black squares on the map, It hasn't happened since, but was wondering if anyone else has had this at all.

Alien Health

I know aliens have more health, but 6 Shotgun blasts to the face at point blank range? ... Is this normal, First few missions I was taking out the aliens with one shot, now its taking 2 men 3 shots each to kill one of the basic red-shirts ;)

1. You have only entered the beginnings of alien weapon research, those alien weapons you found in the field will prove fairly useless to your human troops, as you continue to make breakthroughs in research you will be able to engineer different types of weaponry more suited for your men.

2. This surprised me at first as well, now and again a hit will get through on your shield man (make sure to face the enemy!) and it is because of this that you should equip him with some armor as soon as you can to keep him alive longer.

3. You're muffing something up here and if you're not understanding the manual fights well you should auto resolve, usually 2 condors can take down the heavier scout without losing hp in auto resolve.

4. Verifying your game cache should work here, I had the same thing happen my self. If you have any map packs installed be sure you don't have any weird duplicates.

5. This can vary greatly depending on the enemy you are facing and the weapons you are using, in general you want to outnumber aliens whenever possible in firefights and be sure you're giving your men good chances to hit and not trying to long range snipe with shotties.

Hope I helped!

Hey hey, been a while since I posted on here, but recently got back into playing and I'm having a few issues, Not sure if they're bugs, or just me being bad, so I'll list them here and see what you all think..

Alien Weaponry

Researched and picked up a few alien plasma's, Can shoot them in missions but as soon as the mission ends and I go back to base, there's no alien weapons to choose to equip my squad, And the weapons I had picked up during the mission are gone. Is this a bug, if not, now do I equip my squad with the weapons, or more so, how do I "keep" the weapons equipped?

You can't. Alien weapons aren't intended for use by humans as they pretty much invalidate all other weapon research, so the lore explanation is that they are ergonomically akward for human hands, which is manifested by a 50% accuracy penalty.

Shield Use

I've been using shield carriers for a while, Shotgun chasing up behind me, makes for a nice tactic, but recently in the past few games, They've been getting one shotted, No shield degradation, just plain "one shot - One kill" on my troops, Is this normal?

There's a chance that your shield doesn't block a shot, so you aren't 100% safe hiding behind them.

Air Combat

Only in month one but already, every aircraft I have is out of commission due to none of them being able to win a fight against even a light scout. I've tried manual combat and I lose constantly, head to head just ends up with my aircraft and the ufo sharing the same pixel on the map and while the UFO can shoot at me, I can't shoot back

You're doing something wrong then. 1 on 1 a Condor beats a light scout with good control. I suggest checking out some videos on Youtube.

Air Combat

In this post there are some links for air combat that will give you some hints about what to do.

Alien Weapons -- Learn to love not using them. Not only do they cost you a huge accuracy penalty, but they are sold at the end of every successful ground mission. If you kill an alien without blowing them up, then the weapons are used as income. Blow up too much stuff and your missions will be less profitable. It's not unusual to earn $45,000 or more per mission even early in the game on the sale of these weapons, so they do end up being a significant part of your monthly income.

Air Combat -- Learn to manually control your ships. Most important things to know:

* Spacebar pauses the combat and restarts it

* Mouse scroll button will zoom in or out of the battle

* Clicking on the ship in the map will select that ship (probably can click on the ship's bigger icon on the right as well)

* Right clicking in the map will set a new waypoint for the selected ship to fly toward

* Movign the throttle bar up and down will adjust you interceptor's speed

* Interceptors turn quicker at slower speeds

* The Q and E hot keys will command your Interceptor to roll to the left, and to the right (respectively)

* Using the Roll button seems to select a random left or right roll...NOT good, don't use it!

* Clicking on a weapon will shut off its auto-fire. This is especially important when fighting enemy craft that can roll (like the light scout)

So, using the above, even 1 Condor can take out a light scout easily by:

1) Select your Interceptor (even if there's only one on the field, you have to have it selected to control it)

2) Shut off one missile

3) Fly toward the Light Scout (no need to try and flank it, it'll just turn to face you anyway)

4) Zoom into the battle

5) When your first missile fires, and the Light Scout just begins to roll out of the way, Pause the battle

6) Turn your deselected missile back on

7) Hit either the Q or E button, trying to roll to one side of the Light Scout

8) Hit Spacebar to turn battle back on

9) Keep an eye on your Roll button. It will stay lit until you can roll again.

10) Keep rolling with Q or E until you're out of the Light Scout's weapon range...you will want to reduce your speed so you don't overshoot the enemy, and keep in autocannon range

It'll go down without much trouble.

Well I've gotten the hang of air combat now, never knew you could select more than one aircraft, maybe that was the problem ... that note should be put somewhere obvious in the game ... all i have now is the problem of immortal aliens that still take 2-3 turns to kill at point lank range with a shotgun, and have with 100% "Bypass cover and suppressed penalty" accuracy ... while dealing out insane damage of 78+ (Which none of my troops could ever survive)