frustrating lack of documentation

screeg

I have a couple of questions:

How do I purchase more of the plain old fighter jets you start with? (at first glance, it looks like you can only purchase newly researched stuff, ie. the Foxtrot) How would I build a second drop ship?

Are missile batteries something I want to buy, maybe only later in game?

Is there any advantage to building more bases other than more radar coverage, hangar space?

I don't see any threads for strategy tips or advice on which research to prioritize. Are there any?

Thanks in advance! Game's shaping up very nicely.

1) Click on the aircrafts tab. Provided you have an empty hangar, you can click on the "buy new plane" from the tab to the side to buy a new Condor for the hangar.

2) Depends, really. Defence batteries auto-upgrade with each new weapon tech level, so they pay for themselves. Defence batteries should also do damage to invasion ground teams as well as the UFO.

There are threads with advice scattered all over the forums. There aren't any formal strategy pages, because the games' not done yet, so what works now may not work in a later build. However, one solid piece of advice is research alenium and alenium explosives as quickly as possible (unlocked with the Scout).

EDIT: There was a manual. but that's probably out of date, because the game has changed a lot since the manual was written.

Thanks for that. The existing manual is very out of date. Thought of a couple more:

Is there any significance to the soldier's designations (Assault, Heavy, etc.), or does it just determine their default loadout?

Is there any use for the machine gun? It takes a buttload of AP to fire and is brutally inaccurate at any range.

Designation of soldier is to save/load loadout, correct.

Also I feel it helps me to get quick look what kind of squad I am sending to missions.

Machine gun/heavy weapons:

Very inaccurate indeed, atleast early on.

Soldiers with 65 STR will not get penalty for accuracy.

Later when your soldiers get more accuracy it is superb!

It also hits bigger targets quite well, you will see some later on.

The most important thing the heavy weapons do, is the supression.

Supressed enemies cannot reaction fire, thus you can get closer easier and take shots at em.

If you want, take a look at my guide/tutorial videos on youtube.

-Tasku

Edited by Tascruel

The roles can be changed (and you can even make custom roles) and are used for quickly equipping soldiers as you want them so you don't have to drag every little piece of equipment from and to their inventory.

Yes the machinegun is useful. It has an accuracy penalty if you move before fireing it (sniper riles do too) so that might account a bit for the low accuracy you are experiencing?

Remember that whilethe percentage might seem low the chance to hit with one bullet out of a spray is higher because you fire off more than one bullet.

Also there is suppression.

There will be better documentation (both official and unofficial) on release, but for now things are changing often enough it's not really worth doing.

Machine guns are great for suppression. I also like them for breaching Light Scouts, because they are great for both killing (at close range, so their accuracy is much improved) and suppressing (so your machine gunner is less likely to be killed by any survivors).

I don't see any threads for strategy tips or advice on which research to prioritize. Are there any?

When you retrieve your first alenium (light scouts don't carry it, but lootable UFOs after that might have some), research it ASAP and then research "alenium explosives", I think it's called. It upgrades all your aircrafts' missiles, and your soldiers' frag grenades and frag rockets, for free.

When you retrieve your first alenium (light scouts don't carry it' date=' but lootable UFOs after that might have some), research it ASAP and then research "alenium explosives", I think it's called. It upgrades all your aircrafts' missiles, and your soldiers' frag grenades and frag rockets, for free.[/quote']

And then do the same thing every time you get something to research that sounds like a power source.

1) Click on the aircrafts tab. Provided you have an empty hangar, you can click on the "buy new plane" from the tab to the side to buy a new Condor for the hangar.

Ah, makes total sense! Unfortunately, there is no such tab, although I do have an empty hangar. I'm running v19 since I'm boycotting the Steam client. Maybe that's the issue?

Ah, makes total sense! Unfortunately, there is no such tab, although I do have an empty hangar. I'm running v19 since I'm boycotting the Steam client. Maybe that's the issue?

There was an UI update between 19 and 20 yes but it should still be possible somewhere regardless of which version you are playing.

There is no tab in your base that lets you manage and arm your aircrafts? That sounds really strange...

I would suggest that you watch some lets play vids on youtube or something. Sooner or later they are bound to buy a condor.

• 2 weeks later...