[8.6.2 Air Combat]

I have just had a crash caused after two separate squadrons were sent to intercept two separate UFOs. I was viewing the air combat screen for the first squadron when the second squadron (I presume) intercepted its UFO. Suddenly I had two lots of air combat music playing and two lots of missiles being launched etc. Then the geoscape was briefly visible below the air combat screen before a crash to desktop.

Hmm. Never had this, but this sounds interesting actually. This is the only game that comes to a mind 'having' several simultaneous combats running.

I wonder how this issue was planned to be resolved? I assume that it should set the other squadron on tailing while you are in air combat. Perhaps due to the rarity of such situations and difficulties to reproduce it - it might have been overlooked.

Hmm. Never had this, but this sounds interesting actually. This is the only game that comes to a mind 'having' several simultaneous combats running.

I wonder how this issue was planned to be resolved? I assume that it should set the other squadron on tailing while you are in air combat. Perhaps due to the rarity of such situations and difficulties to reproduce it - it might have been overlooked.

They could also do what most other games do: Pause the action on the Geoscape while the combat takes place.

They could also do what most other games do: Pause the action on the Geoscape while the combat takes place.

That would run into issues, what with combat being real-time and all. Unless you just have the Geoscape jump forward the number of seconds the combat took, which would introduce (probably crash) issues if another combat was about to begin during those seconds of the jump.

Or you could pause geoscape and if another engagement is calculated to take place during the first engagement, geoscape will revert to the point where the first engagement started and allow for you to manage the second engagement paralell to the first. While you are manageing the second engagement the first engagement shows up as if its tailing the ufo untill auto resolving the conflict according to how it happened when you managed it.

This could be implemented on single engagements too. you pause the geoscape and record the lenght of the engagement and then have the fighters tail the UFO for the same ammount of time in the geoscape after the engagement is concluded before generating a crashsite or letting the UFO escape or destroying your planes. (you'd have to lock them from reciveing any new commands though). Then you wouldnt have to make the game calculate if there will be a second engageement since it allways reverts.