Add randomly called music files.

I just messed around with changing the music in the game. Unfortunately there is only one .ogg file per situation in game. IE: only one file for ground combat, night combat, geoscape, etc.

It would be really cool if you wrote it so that the game would call on a short list of random soundtracks whenever a track ends.

For example, in daytime ground combat, it calls up Ground Combat 1 only. If it could be changed to randomly select from a series of "Ground Combat #" files, that would be awesome.

It wouldn't matter if all of the files were the same one right now because the user could insert various .ogg files in place of the randomly called file.

Basically, it allows a player to insert their own soundtrack into the game as long as they can convert files to .ogg files.

I just messed around with changing the music in the game. Unfortunately there is only one .ogg file per situation in game. IE: only one file for ground combat, night combat, geoscape, etc.

It would be really cool if you wrote it so that the game would call on a short list of random soundtracks whenever a track ends.

For example, in daytime ground combat, it calls up Ground Combat 1 only. If it could be changed to randomly select from a series of "Ground Combat #" files, that would be awesome.

It wouldn't matter if all of the files were the same one right now because the user could insert various .ogg files in place of the randomly called file.

Basically, it allows a player to insert their own soundtrack into the game as long as they can convert files to .ogg files.

That would be nice, actually. The soundtracks get a bit dull after a while, even though they are very suitable and quite good.

You can already do that, just remember to add the file names to the appropriate category in sounds.xml or sounds_gc.xml (if ground combat) and the game will shuffle around including your custom audio tracks

You can already do that, just remember to add the file names to the appropriate category in sounds.xml or sounds_gc.xml (if ground combat) and the game will shuffle around including your custom audio tracks

Yes, and I have done that. And I've even discovered that there are multiple sounds for certain music areas.

Thing I'd like to see though, is a larger list of sounds to call on as well as having the game randomly select a sound from the set after one song ends. It could be that it already randomly selects from the set when a song ends, but the set is small. I know I ran a mission with my changed sound set and heard the same song repeatedly (fortunately, it was long and just ambience). If there were a larger list that was randomly selected anytime one song finished, people could have a nice randomized soundtrack for any situation.

I wanted more radio chatter for the air combat, but was quickly shotdown...LOL, I made a funny. I wish they'd just say "Tally", "I have tone" and "Fox One" and "RTB". Those few little phrases would add a lot to the feel of it.

From what Giovanni said, it might be possible. However, for me, the real question is how do I convert mp3 files to ogg files?

Edited by Jsleezy

What'd be really neat, though probably impossible, would be to have localized audio tracks based on props/building zones.

So like, you're in a terror mission, defending the populace of New York when you bust in the door of a convenience store to shoot the Caesan hiding behind the register, and you hear a bit of disco coming in through the radio on the counter. The Caesan react fires at your soldier and narrowly misses vaporizing packs of twinkies on the shelves. Tour soldier unloads his assault rifle in the direction of the Casan, who's ducked behind the counter . . . all while Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" plays in the background (top of the charts in 1979!)

What'd be really neat, though probably impossible, would be to have localized audio tracks based on props/building zones.

So like, you're in a terror mission, defending the populace of New York when you bust in the door of a convenience store to shoot the Caesan hiding behind the register, and you hear a bit of disco coming in through the radio on the counter. The Caesan react fires at your soldier and narrowly misses vaporizing packs of twinkies on the shelves. Tour soldier unloads his assault rifle in the direction of the Casan, who's ducked behind the counter . . . all while Donna Summer's "Hot Stuff" plays in the background (top of the charts in 1979!)

That's actually not too hard depending on how the game is scripted. I'm sure someone could mod it pretty easily. The biggest problem would be a combination of randomly located music in the appropriate areas and copyright laws. Regardless, I'm sure someone could mod it fairly easily.

I was trying to add more sounds to the footsteps code for my xenonauts but it also changes the footstep sounds for the aliens although the aliens have their own designated code/files.

Can anybody else check this? I think it might be a bug. Perhaps the devs haven't got to linking the aliens to the right code. Does anybody know?

Edited by Jsleezy