State of game balance

I've been itching to give Xenonauts a go for ages, but I've been waiting for a point of "reasonable balance" to make my first run. I know it's an enormous amount of work and crucial to a good strategy game. What's the condition of the latest build on Steam? Is it getting pretty balanced or does it still have a ways to go? Is there a new beta imminent?

A new stable version is hopefully going to be released next week. In my opinion (and I'd be willing to say that this is shared with others who have played the experimental builds) it is highly playable. Might be worth waiting until it's released, though, since it won't be save game compatable.

Yeah, I think the work Aaron has done over the last couple of months and the upgraded AI means that it's worth playing now - though possibly I'm a bit biased. There will be future updates but hopefully they'll be lots of small tweaks rather than major sea-changes like we've been doing previously.

The repetition of maps is still a bit of an issue. We've only got about 30 of them, which tend to get repetitive quite quickly.

Anyway, V19 Stable will be on its way in the next week so that'd be a good time to dip your toe in the water.

...the upgraded AI means that it's worth playing now - though possibly I'm a bit biased. There will be future updates but hopefully they'll be lots of small tweaks rather than major sea-changes like we've been doing previously...
I agree that Aaron has done a great job with the balance. Also, the pace of balance improvement has been impressive.

As to the AI, the improvements have been excellent. It's really a challenge now. One thing though, you really need to take a look at why the aliens don't use buildings as cover more often. I loved that about the OG. Also, it makes the GC a lot more interesting.

Edited by StellarRat

As to the AI, the improvements have been excellent. It's really a challenge now. One thing though, you really need to take a look at why the aliens don't use buildings as cover more often. I loved that about the OG. Also, it makes the GC a lot more interesting.

I agree. Right now you can pretty much ignore buildings as far as I can tell. Yesterday I actually had an sebillian walk through a wall (!) to leave a building to get closer to my troops.

Edit: So I hadn't played the latest build when I said that. I am seeing caesans using buildings now.

Edited by crusherven