Hello, here we are going to talk about the wonderful, happy topic of your civilian death toll! For those who don't know, there is a tally the game takes that shows the number of global civilian deaths from events(and in missions) along with per nation funding block. right now my global death is at 2697 civilians/xenonauts/local forces in month december . whats your number and month you're in?

April...8531 Casualties...

Aparently when a plane is shot down with 93 people in it is a massive hit to funding...Who knew that 93 lives are so valuable to the planet...I mean I would understand if in that plane there was the president of a nation or some other Governor...

April...8531 Casualties...

Aparently when a plane is shot down with 93 people in it is a massive hit to funding...Who knew that 93 lives are so valuable to the planet...I mean I would understand if in that plane there was the president of a nation or some other Governor...

You are thinking like a government official! :P

Every life is just as valuable. No difference if it is a president or a worker. Or, at least, it should be.

Its not the "quality" of the human being lost, its more the relation between the kind of event and the amount of death caused. Losing 2 planes with 180 people is a big media hit. Losing 5 or 6 is a global histeria / fear of UFOS shooting dow planes that effectively shuts down all air lines traffic and collapses global air transport. So any air liner lost is a big lose, if only for the consequences of losing some more.

You could argue that the nations are following that logic, and are spending more on defence. But it's on their defence rather than an organisation that can;t protect it's airways.

Shortsighted, foolish and brain dead. Welcome to politics. Needless to say, that in the real world you would still have all those aerospace companies categorically stating that their 2nd-stage-defensive-stealth-offensive-3rd stage invisible-bomber will solve the nations problems if only they could get a contract. Bribing along the way to that contract, as long as there's a hint the Xenonuats will pull through.

Really?I mean you invest in your countries defence(Continent in this case) instead of investing in the organisation who has Modern Tech in planes(Mauraders and stuff)...I mean...I've seen at the beggining of the game that the local airforces can down UFO's(Fool's...when I do a mission it still says it landed undamaged)...And I assume that at the start of the game...Air Forces use the same fighter craft as you do(F-17)...just they're pilots are not as good as yours...

Yup, bear in mind it's not an either/or situation. A nation gets to back the Xenonauts and other interests.

Contingency plans would be in place to cover a number of conflict eventualities. Everything from activating all those secret bunkers, evacuation plans and organising resistance cells to conduct guerrilla warfare in case the nation itself is lost.

Being sure of your allies and preparing alternate communication/aid/supply routes is vital. While on the global stage, you would prepare assessments of who you could rely on, under what circumstances and in what stages of a conflict. Then you start thinking about whether other parties would be better placed to be in control of those countries to protect your interests. Those interests are also what you feel is beneficial to everyone on the planet in the face of invasion, but that line blurs depending on how well the Xenonauts are doing.

Speaking of which, if you were relying on such an organisation, and were partly funding it, you would be making sure that the technological advances were making their way straight to your country to give you the best chance of defending your interests. So, yes you are backing the Xenonauts, but clearly in the game you're not devoting your GDP to it. You are also doing the million other things to prepare for the conflict across the globe.

I think that Xenonauts is a mix of better technology (focused on downing UFOs) and by virtue of having such craft have pilots capable of handling them, and who are therefore better equipped to deal with the advances to come. They have been focused on this since the 1950s.

Its not the "quality" of the human being lost, its more the relation between the kind of event and the amount of death caused. Losing 2 planes with 180 people is a big media hit. Losing 5 or 6 is a global histeria / fear of UFOS shooting dow planes that effectively shuts down all air lines traffic and collapses global air transport. So any air liner lost is a big lose, if only for the consequences of losing some more.

This would be a great idea for a mod, but it sounds like a huge amount of work, to have a Public Relations Damage Control team like employees that you hire to try to convince governments to ground air traffic, and tourism while not pissing off said countries, and other things that save lives.

And include all kinds of non combat related propaganda things to help.

ok pipe dream [off]

Well simply, you get X amount of funding. There will be a funding activities screen at some point you can access from the menu. Let's say you can access your end of month graphic at all times, to give an example of something we can already see. So you see how much they're funding and how much it went up or down.

Right, all you would need is a Propaganda button on that screen. Either under each country , or just one on the screen with a funding nation pull down. You lose Y amount of your overall ready cash, but boost the score of that nation by Z% for the next month or permanently depending on how the game calculates it.

It would look a little odd considering the way things are currently, but it could be in there.

Ta da. Instant use of global PR companies, bribing of officials, media and witnesses. The result being that a funding nation is less likely to slide towards the aliens quite so quickly.

You know our world is getting invaded by aliens from space... is it me or is expecting the loss of life to be in the 100's of thousands not an unreasonable expectation.

You know America I am sorry they shot down that jumbo jet and 90 people lost their lives. But hey guys wake up, alien invasion going on here. Your lucky they haven't nuked (or whatever the aliens equivalent of that is) cities from orbit and put the loss of life in the millions or billions.

Seriously who the hell gets on a plane when you know there are alien ships running around shooting down anything that moves.

To quote the greatest cartoon song ever...

It is a great big universe and were all really puny.

Just tiny little specks the size of Mickey Rooney

I think the funding hit isnt so much based on the # of casualties but the # of casualties that were Young, Skinny, Attractive Blonde Girls with large breasts so if there was at least one of those on the plane, the Funding Nation would Auto-Join the Aliens to prevent that Global Tragedy from ever occurring again.

Conversely if a 8 jetliners with 300 overweight people were shot down, they just send the Aliens a Thank You note.

Because this is how the world works. Each life has the same value?

Pfft what planet do you live on man?

I just append a 'k' to the casualty number to make it look more realistic. I mean, that's how war casualties are estimated, and it gives a much better idea of why these countries are so pissed at you all the time.

I also like to imagine that the Xenonauts are just one of any number of organizations vying for resources to defeat the alien presence; they just happen to be the one that "wins" in the end. That would explain their relatively tiny budget, and why they're not instantly being swarmed by the aliens as soon as there are warships in the atmosphere. There are bigger fish to fry, security through anonymity, all that jazz.