V19 Experimental Build 2 available!

It seems like the changes make it much too hard to down alien ships now, especially above normal difficulty. Of course, it may be a design choice, but I'd like more ground combat opportunities. It seems like I'm spending most of my time ineffectually chasing UFO and not much time with boots on the ground.

Iv just started testing this one it seems like the air combat have gotten really messy my first air fight sent both the starter fighters into a light scout all 4 sidewinder missed and both plains got destroyed :P if i wait 1 sec after they are in range they hit every time.

"Dare pilots would you plies learn how to shoot"

light scouts arnt a joke but there was a bug where one of my missle hardpoints showed up as a stretched gun imagage and didnt work in battle so only shot 1 missle each and had to finish with gun oddly enough first time i checked my hanagar the f17 had a sidewinder showing up in the cannon slot. I switched this to a cannon and then had this bug where i could only launch one missle per plane.

Iv just started testing this one it seems like the air combat have gotten really messy my first air fight sent both the starter fighters into a light scout all 4 sidewinder missed and both plains got destroyed :P if i wait 1 sec after they are in range they hit every time.

"Dare pilots would you plies learn how to shoot"

My first air fight went pretty well. I sent only one fighter. It got some heavy damage(I ordered it to hold the missiles, because I wanted to see if I can down the UFO with the cannon and I lost one missile due to damage, I thought it was great!) but downed the UFO on its own. When I send more than one, I usually maneuver them around the UFO to overload their targeting systems(cannot target more than one fighter at a time, right?).

I like the new air combat way better. It shouldn't be piece of cake to down the early UFOs. It is neither realistic or interesting!

My first air fight went pretty well. I sent only one fighter. It got some heavy damage(I ordered it to hold the missiles, because I wanted to see if I can down the UFO with the cannon and I lost one missile due to damage, I thought it was great!) but downed the UFO on its own. When I send more than one, I usually maneuver them around the UFO to overload their targeting systems(cannot target more than one fighter at a time, right?).

I like the new air combat way better. It shouldn't be piece of cake to down the early UFOs. It is neither realistic or interesting!

No i agree on that it should be a hard, but and tactic air fights are fun but if you over power something like that its should be easy not that they miss because they always shoot at the wrong time most of the time it dont evan reach the enemy craft :P tactics should be like fire on missile to distract it and hold of on the other until the enemy cant avoid it.

and they only go after the air craft closest to them so in that regard you can really got tactical on them.

No i agree on that it should be a hard, but and tactic air fights are fun but if you over power something like that its should be easy not that they miss because they always shoot at the wrong time most of the time it dont evan reach the enemy craft :P tactics should be like fire on missile to distract it and hold of on the other until the enemy cant avoid it.

and they only go after the air craft closest to them so in that regard you can really got tactical on them.

You can hold the missiles until you get to a closer range. Release them at a point that will have better chance of hitting! *You* can control all this stuff!!

You can hold the missiles until you get to a closer range. Release them at a point that will have better chance of hitting! *You* can control all this stuff!!

of curse but these are well trained pilots they should have some clue how to fight with there air crafts.

they don`t need to be stupid.

of curse but these are well trained pilots they should have some clue how to fight with there air crafts.

We wanted tactical air combat since the OG. We have it, we may as well use it! The pilots will try and fire at max range, unless you tell them otherwise. You are the commander, you give the instructions. Firing at max range has better chances for the fighter to escape in one piece but less chances to hit. You start with the best survivability option enabled. You can take the responsibility to override that. You cannot expect to bring the harder UFOs down with one squadron. Besides, missiles should have a difficult time to hit the highly maneuverable UFOs and the higher the distance, the harder the time.

We wanted tactical air combat since the OG. We have it, we may as well use it! The pilots will try and fire at max range, unless you tell them otherwise. You are the commander, you give the instructions. Firing at max range has better chances for the fighter to escape in one piece but less chances to hit. You start with the best survivability option enabled. You can take the responsibility to override that. You cannot expect to bring the harder UFOs down with one squadron. Besides, missiles should have a difficult time to hit the highly maneuverable UFOs and the higher the distance, the harder the time.

i want tactical air fights to but not when it a "walk in the park" the pilots goal are to destroy the enemy, and with limited ammo your highest survival chance is making sure it hits.

i want tactical air fights to but not when it a "walk in the park" the pilots goal are to destroy the enemy, and with limited ammo your highest survival chance is making sure it hits.

You assume hitting the UFO will bring it down. This is not the case. ;)

You fire the missiles, then you get the hell out of there before the UFO gets you.

You assume hitting the UFO will bring it down. This is not the case. ;)

You fire the missiles, then you get the hell out of there before the UFO gets you.

but that means your against a superior craft i am talking about then you have the upper hand. if you are against big crafts you use torpedo then its not a problem. those work.

Edited by robertdg

but that means your against a superior craft i am talking about then you have the upper hand.

All UFOs are supposed to be superior crafts, until the time you manage to create your own better fighters based on the study of the UFO materials. At any case, I understand that you, probably, want easier air-fights or, for some reason, you want an AI to control some of your decisions during the fight. I don't. The AI should give instructions to the Aliens, *I* am to give instructions to my men.

Nope. You can outrun your opponent and survive, if you can. Especially if the UFO's primary mission is not to take down your fighters.

i think of a alien craft is that above anything they are faster and more mobile then a plain. you talking about not being able to take down the plains but in fighter fights you are. a scout ship is meant to explore and outrun any enemy. but thats not the case in the game they are like the first model of fighters you meet in game. if they wanted to run it would just popup ufo escaped into space evry time you got close to em.

i think of a alien craft is that above anything they are faster and more mobile then a plain. you talking about not being able to take down the plains but in fighter fights you are. a scout ship is meant to explore and outrun any enemy. but thats not the case in the game they are like the first model of fighters you meet in game. if they wanted to run it would just popup ufo escaped into space evry time you got close to em.

The Xenopedia entries itself already explains that the UFOs aren't adapted to manouver well inside our atmosphere and that they would be no match for the condors. So there you go.

The Xenopedia entries itself already explains that the UFOs aren't adapted to manouver well inside our atmosphere and that they would be no match for the condors. So there you go.

totally do agree:D

Edited by robertdg

they don`t need to be stupid.

That would be like saying your ground troops should know how to secure an area and you shouldn't have to control them in order to succeed at a mission. It wouldn't be much of a strategy game without any strategy.

That would be like saying your ground troops should know how to secure an area and you shouldn't have to control them in order to succeed at a mission. It wouldn't be much of a strategy game without any strategy.

i agree but they are not putting to do something on auto, firing rockets are but they are putted to an point were it will miss almost always when it should be more like 50/50 at worst. but if you dominate the air the auto firing should at least have a chance if not then they should just remove it. or make it turn based like the rest.

my main problem here it looks like a bug there is no point in having auto firing if it cant hit. then it should be off by default i dont like to save and load the hole time but when i lose aircraft because i forgot to turn it off, that gets annoying and ruins the game play alittel because it feels like cheating.

Edited by robertdg

i agree but they are not putting to do something on auto, firing rockets are but they are putted to an point were it will miss almost always when it should be more like 50/50 at worst. but if you dominate the air the auto firing should at least have a chance if not then they should just remove it. or make it turn based like the rest.

my main problem here it looks like a bug there is no point in having auto firing if it cant hit. then it should be off by default i dont like to save and load the hole time but when i lose aircraft because i forgot to turn it off, that gets annoying and ruins the game play alittel because it feels like cheating.

Well, the aliens also always miss their 1st missile on our fighters since we also can roll. If think it's fair.

Having just tried out build 2 myself, I notice that missiles will not hit the light scout when it is making an evade manoevre, even if it looks like the missile should hit it. This is the issue - the light scout is evading the missile, but it is not visually clear that the evasion has been made. Solution: Make evasion visually clear.

EDIT: And seeing as this was my first try at air combat in build 2, I still killed the light scout dead. Took sme damage, sure, but killed it dead.

EDIT 2: Well, having played about with missile ranges, it seems that I was wrong. If the missile is set for a range of 4500 or more, it hits the light scout (even if evading) if fired at max range. Any less, and the missile always vanishes just before it would the light scout (while the light scout is making an evade manouevre). Even more interesting, set the range for 10000, fire a missile at max range, then fire a missile at the range that it previous would vanish at and even if the light scout evades, the missile will not disappear. Something to do with the range, perhaps?

Edited by Max_Caine