Genetically altering soldiers

Hey all

I've been playing this game for a while now and I really like it. One thing that I'd love to have added into the game, even though the original X-COM doesn't have it, is the ability to modify soldiers through a genetic modifier apparatus.

In nearly every xenopedia page about the aliens, it is noted that they have been genetically altered and improved and how this is a wonderful and scary thing. Wouldn't it be nice if the humans eventually gain the ability to research and perhaps even improve this science? I mean, we're learning how to harness plasma, create anti-gravity machinery and other craziness in the span of a few months, so it's not a stretch to imagine us learning how they modify different species to fight more efficient.

What I'm thinking about, is having the team salvage a gene modification device from an alien base/ship (abductor?) and having to research it. Once researched, the humans can build a gene modification chamber. This will allow you to start altering soldiers.

Using the gene modification chamber, the player could add certain traits to humans. Possibilities could include:

- Leaper; This soldier has gained the ability to leap over objects .without any trouble. Basically the armor that allowed the wearer to jump on buildings and stuff, only now it's possible even without that armor. Note that the walking tank armors shouldn't allow the soldier to do this anymore.

- Night Vision. This soldier gains the ability to see clearly even in pitch dark.

- Super Strength. This soldier gains the ability to hold a two handed weapon in one hand and gains +x% to strength. While firing with one hand, the soldier does gain an accuracy penalty.

- Regeneration. This soldier gains the ability to rapidly regenerate wounds, just like the Sebillians.

- Psi Powers. This soldier gains the ability to use psi attacks during combat. Note: I haven't reached the point where I could research psi yet, but I'm guessing that only a few soldiers are capable of using psi once researched?

- There are lots of other possibilities here, but for now, I've made my point with these examples.

Once the player has selected a trait that he wants to give to the soldier, the soldier is out of the game for a certain time (20-30 days?) during which he is being altered and revalidating. An alternative to the set amount of days is having it depend on the trait given or maybe allocating scientists to the "Gene alteration of Pvt. Johnson" project."

I really like this idea, because it allows you to change your favorite soldier into an even stronger combatant and further specialize into certain areas.

Although it deviates from the previous X-COM games, I was wondering what everyone thinks of these ideas.

Thanks for reading this :)

Humans don't ever get psionics, which I actually like, to be honest.

But anyway, those are interesting ideas, and they could be quite cool. However, I doubt that it'll make it into the game. Especially since we don't get the aliens psionic powers, I don't think Chris would want us genetically altering our genes either. However, it's not been officially ruled out, so it's still possible. Who knows, maybe he'll love it.

That's a neat idea! But, speaking as a biologist, I couldn't see us with the state of the science as it was in 1979 being even remotely close to understanding how to implement that sort of technology provided we could actually identify it as such and somehow reverse engineer it. We hadn't even come close to sequencing the human genome at that point, and I'd expect at least that kind of knowledge to be necessary before even thinking about manipulating the human genome. (On a side note, I have some big problems with some of the xenopedia entries detailing genetic modification and technology and stuff... I'll get to that in another thread sometime...)

It doesn't take much effort to suspend disbelief enough to accept reverse engineering a plasma rifle (whose physics we probably wouldn't have to understand all that well to do) and creating our own useable prototype within a week or month or so, especially since doing so would involve physics we'd probably be close to understanding or already understand anyway, and we'd be utilizing scrap and fully functioning alien technology to base it off of. Manipulating a human at a genetic level at such a rapid time scale with predictable, reliable results would be impossible (for me at least) to swallow, as a living creature is infinitely more complex than a gun, bomb, or suit of armor.

Cybernetic implants would be a lot more plausible within the setting of the game. I think that would be a really cool way to get at what you are looking for! That, and/or if Caesans were actually super modified humans and we were able to glean some of the genetic and technological information necessary to do that kind of modification from decrypting alien datacores...

Cybernetic implants would be a lot more plausible within the setting of the game. I think that would be a really cool way to get at what you are looking for! That, and/or if Caesans were actually super modified humans and we were able to glean some of the genetic and technological information necessary to do that kind of modification from decrypting alien datacores...

Having Caesans be super modified humans would actually work quite well! The game does seem to hint at it and it would give the scientists something to use as an example :)

Cybernetic implants could work as well, although it doesn't have the same feel to it as genetically altering your soldiers. Still, if this idea would get rejected on terms of not being feasible, I could live with it becoming cybernetic implants :P

I do not like the idea of genetically modified soldiers. Improving soldiers using armor/helmets/weapon/drugs that enhance their physical and/or mental abilities is more like human solution-finding to me and should carry the appropriate, realistic, undesirable side-effects.

In addition, humans using psionics is not much like what humans would do, IMHO. Finding ways to defend from psionics and using them against the aliens(that is, finding ways to exploit the vulnerabilities of the aliens using these powers, like a device that would hurt an alien trying to use psionics against the soldier carrying such a device, stun him, injure him severly etc) also seems more consistent to human behavior. Just my opinion.

Some thoughts

- Does Earth have the time to wait for months while the Xenonaut recovers from major surgery, undergoes physiotherapy (amongst others) and learns to use his/her implants fully.

- Does Earth have 20 years while the offspring of the Breeder Vats reach maturity. I'm not sure the Xenonaut re-enactment of the Congo's child soldiers would look to good on promotion literature.

- Are we prepared for pop up screens like "Captain Raziel died on the table", "Tissue Rejection kills Sgt thothkins" and "Col Gizmo retreats into himself following the electro shock therapy used to aid psychic implantation."

Having said that, I'm sure I've posted about surgery to implant soviet psychotronic devices, and with MK-Ultra experiments condition a trooper to use psychic powers. :)

But, I'd be expecting the aliens to be better, faster and stronger due to their greater experience in such things.

Cdr Gizmo: Hey! I can see in IR now! Don't worry thothkins, I'm sure the gills will come in handy for Xenonauts 2.

Sgt thothkins: "Hey that alien has a cape and some kinda symbol on it's chest. What planet did you say they were escaping from?

Cdr Gizmo: Ah hell, get Xeno-Consultant Luthor will you?

While certainly a cool idea (you get plenty of cool points, OP!), the issue here is that genetic manipulation is not a "we'll be done by next week" problem. It's a "let's start our project in 1979 and we'll be ready for the big counterattack in 2098" problem.