Charlie range not worldwide?

someone did suggest that way back when the chinook acted like an almost passable Chinook rather than something Gerry Anderson built and there were 8 Xenonauts in it. Get additional range at the cost of some troops.

I thought it was fine in the first place, and didn't see the huge deal in not being able to get to every mission. I felt that the terror missions nearly always being just too far away was the problem.

Solutions:

Force terror missions to occur within he range of one of your bases;

Don't have terror missions until you have the craft necessary to get to it

Make it really clear from the outset that terror missions are designed to evade Xenonauts, and use it as a spur to build multiple bases (economy rebalancing probably needed)

Reduce the impact effect text from nuking and thousands dead to aliens terrorising community X and escaping (possibly giving chinese burns and wedgies to the locals)

Have tiered terror missions, with the smaller early one being within range, but larger horrid ones being random.

If a chinook lands at an alien craft site, but there are no aliens left alive to see it, is it really a chinook at all?

yes, all the civilians say it looked just like one. One of the hanger technicians thought it was a giant space ocelot, but he had been inhaling exhaust fumes for too long and was taken away.

Solutions:

Force terror missions to occur within he range of one of your bases;

Don't have terror missions until you have the craft necessary to get to it

Make it really clear from the outset that terror missions are designed to evade Xenonauts, and use it as a spur to build multiple bases (economy rebalancing probably needed)

Reduce the impact effect text from nuking and thousands dead to aliens terrorising community X and escaping (possibly giving chinese burns and wedgies to the locals)

Have tiered terror missions, with the smaller early one being within range, but larger horrid ones being random.

I like how you think. I think the impact of effect of nuking in the case that the terror mission is ever outside of your range should be less than if it was in your range.

Also, I am all for keeping the chinook, but just have it more reasonable like it was back in the day AND having a paratrooper option as detailed earlier! :D There would be interesting tradeoffs to both: Chinook can carry vehicles and immediately go back to base after the mission but has less range and speed; airplane (like a C-20) couldn't carry vehicles (maybe later tiers could, or there could be special paradroppable vehicles/robots later on) but has much further range and increased speed. However, the plane takes an few hours of game time after a mission to start heading back.

Speaking of terror sites... I understand nuking a sebillion/reaper site. 10,000 zombie reaper things from the xenopedia description, yeah that'd be a pain. But why nuke an andron/cyberdisk site? What.. they take over a BWM factory and BAM new cyberdisks, now with more purr? Or maybe they need a "toy" factory to reproduce.

Its over-reaction on the part of the country involved. They've got nukes, and aliens are running rampant that have arrived in unstoppable ships and the only group that can deal with them in time does nothing (or fails).

Its over-reaction on the part of the country involved. They've got nukes, and aliens are running rampant that have arrived in unstoppable ships and the only group that can deal with them in time does nothing (or fails).
That whole "tactical nuke" thing bugs me and always has. Our six guys with conventional weapons (at the start anyway) can take out the aliens, but the country with an entire army can't deal with them without using nuclear weapons. LOL. Sure they might take more casualties and more civilians might die in the crossfire, but nukes?? I just can't suspend my disbelief that much.

How about having some diplomacy feature in that case?

I mean the nation maltreated by the alien terror troops going nuts on their area would surely get nervous in time, wouldn't it?

Would they not eventually call the Xenonauts and ask them why the heck they're sitting on their butts doing nothing about it?

And would they not offer the Xenonauts a means of transportation (and back, of course) upon explaining to them that the site is out of range?

What I mean is one could have some dialog window popping up after half of the time before the site gets nuked (unless there's already a dropship on its way by that time) that's prodding you in the name of the affected nation to do something about it and also offer the choice of requesting transportation from the country (maybe in exchange for money for the fuel and personnel expenses) in case it is not reachable by your dropships.

It might likely be hard to integrate balance-wise or whatever, but it's just a thought anyway.

How about having some diplomacy feature in that case?

I mean the nation maltreated by the alien terror troops going nuts on their area would surely get nervous in time, wouldn't it?

Would they not eventually call the Xenonauts and ask them why the heck they're sitting on their butts doing nothing about it?

And would they not offer the Xenonauts a means of transportation (and back, of course) upon explaining to them that the site is out of range?

Well you lose funding if you don't deploy and kill the terror aliens, so most of what you want is already there. I'm just saying that the message when you fail a terror mission shouldn't be "we had to nuke them". Maybe it should be, "The Army had to be called in. 200 soldiers and hundreds of civilians died in the fighting." That seems sufficiently bad to me. We know from real life events that just a few determined terrorists can kill a lot of people before they're taken out.

And perhaps some terror missions, if failed, could result in nukes... like maybe perhaps in the future some terror missions could be sabotage missions against some alien command post (or landed ship) near the terror site city that is orchestrating some sort of massive terror operation (more than just a squad of troops could handle). The local military would be sorting it out, but your elite dudes are killing the leaders and effin' up their computers and stuff.

And perhaps some terror missions, if failed, could result in nukes... like maybe perhaps in the future some terror missions could be sabotage missions against some alien command post (or landed ship) near the terror site city that is orchestrating some sort of massive terror operation (more than just a squad of troops could handle). The local military would be sorting it out, but your elite dudes are killing the leaders and effin' up their computers and stuff.

That's pretty much how I view terror missions now. It seems a bit silly to think the aliens are actually invading earth with only 100 ships and less than a thousand troops, or that 10 aliens in a city (other than Reapers) are causing enough havoc that nuking it is a reasonable recourse.