There was a thread a while back suggesting that cover was not working properly and it was better to kneel out in the open away from cover items rather than using them for shelter.

That is similar to the phrasing the OP used so I assume that may be where it came from.

I hope the gentlemen who wrote ths doesn't mind a x-post - I read it here:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73288&start=40

Just got my steam key. Note to others, you get it from the Desura website, not the PC client.

It's downloading now, I'll let you guys know how it is later.

Update: Now with a bit of play time, the game is in a playable state, but it's a bit bland. Also, I think it tries too hard to ape the original, without acknowledging the many advancements in game design that have come since the original X-COM, many of which would not deter from the original's feel.

For example, there is no cover system. There was a rudimentary cover system at some point during the beta, but no longer. As anyone who has played even a slightly realistic modern game in the past decade, I was cringing every moment one of my men had to stand out of cover, or couldn't peek around a corner.

Same goes for a little battlefield reconnaissance. What idiot lands their transport full of soldiers in the middle of a warzone? Can't soldiers just look out the window to see the immediate area around the LZ? What's with the black covering the map when we live in an age of basic google maps.

Stuff like TUs could be streamlined a whole lot more. They don't have a "reserve TUs for kneeling" button, and overall,

The air combat system is a joke, pointless busywork of a mini-game that should not have been added. It boils down to clicking the dodge button or after burner buttons.

All that said, if you're looking for something that's not much more than an X-COM port with higher res graphics and some pointless additions, this is for you. I just feel like the world has moved on, as the latest XCOM has shown. There's such a thing as being too beholden to the older thing.

I hope the gentlemen who wrote ths doesn't mind a x-post - I read it here:

http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73288&start=40

Wow, he's totally wrong about cover. In fact, you're men wouldn't last three turns if they didn't use cover. I'm not even sure he played the game based on that comment. Apparently, he also doesn't know the game is set in the 70's BEFORE Google maps. I'm wouldn't put any stock in this "review". It's off base and way too harsh.

Wow, he's totally wrong about cover. In fact, you're men wouldn't last three turns if they didn't use cover. I'm not even sure he played the game based on that comment. Apparently, he also doesn't know the game is set in the 70's BEFORE Google maps. I'm wouldn't put any stock in this "review". It's off base and way too harsh.

Completely agree, especially with regards to cover, but he does have a small point with regards to the black fog of war. I don't think it really needs to be adjusted but I always thought that it broke immersion a little when you had absolutely no idea what was where. As you approached the landing zone you'd at least have a general idea of where big buildings, points of elevation, the crash site and other obvious landmarks were. As it happens, if the crash site is smoking or on fire you do know where it is but this looks more like an error in coding rather than a deliberate design decision.

Other than that minor point though his review is just flat-out wrong - there is cover, there is a reserve time units slider, air combat is significantly more than dodge/afterburner and it is by no means just a high-res version of the original. I don't even think he understands the concept of a high-res port.