Build V18.51 Hotfix 3 Released!

Hotfix 3 includes all the changes from the prior hotfixes. To apply it, simply download the file from the link below and unzip it to your /xenonauts/ folder.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26290309/V18.51_hotfix3.rar

In addition to the changes from Hotfix 1 (not many) and Hotfix 2 (a lot), the following updates have been made:

• AI should no longer be able to accurately "guess" where your troops are from beyond their sight range
  • AI should no longer get extra free TUs
  • The "take and hold" victory has been re-introduced, where you can win a crash site by clearing the UFO and keeping a unit inside it for 5 turns
  • Stun grenades should no longer cause AI hangs
  • Reloading a pistol in the off-hand no longer causes crashes
  • MiG has 4 missile slots again. This will be reduced to 2 in V19 but the game is not balanced for it at the moment (causes some weird behaviour in the air combat too)
  • Combat shield has been disabled, as it has historically been causing crashes in some circumstances. It will be back in all future versions but I'm not going to risk putting it in the Steam "stable release".

Please report any crashes experienced in this build in this thread, and also post here if the AI is still obviously misbehaving.

If there are no major crashes and the AI is working better than before, this will become V18.52 and the Steam Early Access release build. I'll get it ported to Mac / Linux and the Desura branches / standalones updated accordingly too.

Alien spotted. I had to travel 5 extra squares before I could actually see him. He was behind a sign that was behind a wall, there was no way that I should have spotted him.

The alien then went on to shoot my men through the wall, my men that he could not possibly see.

Sorry, but sight range and LOS is broken.

Or not. Moonie, a screenshot or the like would be helpful because it may well be that the prop has been mis-set but without knowing what wall it is we can't check.

Shit, sorry. I will try and get one for you.

I don't know if it helps, but the alien demolished the parts of the wall as he shot through them. It's not like they were transparent.

Edited by Moonie

Played 5-6 missions, LoS is definately fixed (GREAT!), love the changes - weapons feel a bit more balanced now, greandes are no longer imba.

Love the new mission score calculation too, now there actually is some incentive (scorewise) not to blow up all those civilians for fun.

No bugs noticed xcept it cost 40 TU to quick reload a rockcet launcher and just 25 if you do it from the inventory

Edited by Stinkspray

Played 5-6 missions, LoS is definately fixed (GREAT!), love the changes - weapons feel a bit more balanced now, greandes are no longer imba.

Love the new mission score calculation too, now there actually is some incentive (scorewise) not to blow all those civilians for fun.

No bugs noticed xcept it cost 40 TU to quick reload a rockcet launcher and just 25 if you do it from the inventory

imba?? Define and explain, please? I'm so impatient to get home and try this. Also, do you have time write a few more details? How's the difficulty? Are assault rifles actually better (as someone else noted.)? What about the LMG? Any changes there?

This build is very very fun. Seriously. It beats all previous builds hands down, and is relatively stable.

I still often get that thing where the menu buttons on the geoscape aren't working and you have to double-click the base to get to the menus,

and I have had an alien shoot through a wall to hit me (my guy was standing right next to the wall, the alien shot a plasma rifle at the wall from the other side and my guy died, even though the wall was not damaged...)

But meh, who cares, the game is fun

StellarRat

imba=imbalanced :)

well grenades can miss now, and actually miss all the time if you try long-range throws, so no more mortar bombardment from across half the map.

Think the other weapons also have their effective ranges tweaked, although i think the tooltips are not changed. LMGs definately have ther optimum range lowered, which alone makes all other weapons look better. LMGs shots now cost 40 TU (was 45) but use 5 ammo per shot (down from 6)

Gotta test other weapons now (till now i only used LMG troops and grenadiers, as everything else was pretty much useless lol)

Edited by Stinkspray

Hmm, sounds like we've still gotta find and deal with that wall thing. If anyone else experiences it, please screenshot it if possible. If not then at least tell us the tileset and wall type! Also it'd be interesting to know if it only affects troops in tiles adjacent to walls, or if it can also get those further away.

Maybe if we're lucky we can get that fixed before release tomorrow too...

I did see aliens firing at me through walls a couple times. However, in my case it felt "believable" in that my troop was in enemy LOS at the beginning of my turn.

Also, I had a crash. I ordered a troop to move forward, and crouch before firing at an enemy.

He had enough TUs to turn and fire at the enemy at the accuracy level I ordered, but not enough to turn and fire with the crouch turn speed penalty. (IIRC he had 43 TUs and had to turn 90 degrees -- 2 TUs standing, 4 TUs crouching.) The game had not yet updated the TU cost for the crouch penalty, and the icon was white when I clicked (Showing me a cost of 42 TUs, instead of the real cost of 44). The game hung for a bit then CTD'd.

Very much a fringe case, but it was a crash :P

Hi All, Hi Chris. Played 4 Hours in a Row with a Friend of mine. After 4 Hours Game crashed when a Sniper tried to shoot an Alien. All in All great Game. Feels more balanced and playable than Hotfixe 2. I noticed that when a Soldier was shoot you can heal him until the grey "Status" is at Max. After this I won the Mission and instantly flew to the next Mission and I was able to heal him to maximum HP. So you can glitch to full HP without the need of a Medical Bay or Days in Hospital. Greets and good Work.

Great build. The game-play has a really nice feel to it.

Haven't found anything else that has not already been reported.

The suspect wall in question is the high, grey cement, type wall.

Gorra go play some more. :)

Edited by Moonie

From what I've seen of the aliens shooting through walls, I'd look at the semi-transparency logic for when units are next to the wall. I've taken to keeping my units 1 tile away from the walls if I think an alien is on the other side. As long as they don't have squad site this seems to work, while if I move against the wall and it becomes semi-transparent the alien sees the unit and fires. I tested this on a previous play through on terror mission with the walls of one of the corner shops.

Oh, I think I know why the sniper rifle crash is happening actually. I've updated the hotfix patch and it shouldn't happen any more (I've disabled the hypervelocity element of the weapons in the stable build as it causes some crashes).

Also, for walls, I think it's because the walls actually sit on a tile despite being on the edge of it. It might be that the logic has a bug in it where the aliens can see the tile that a wall is standing on, which means they might be able to see a unit if the wall and the unit are on the same tile (even if it looks like the wall is between them).

EDIT - flashman, no, no maps made it in with all the AI-related bugs and Steam stuff I've been doing today. We'll put some more maps into the next build...I've not had a chance to look a your updated soviet maps yet.