Silacoid type enemy

Silacoids wasn't really impressive nor effective in combat, but they were really interesting in terms of lore, and their ability to burn the ground must have been used better.

So, while it would be impossible to have blob-like hot silicate creature due to copyrights, i would love to see some unusual aliens which could actually change the way you play the same levels. Which would be impossible too since rendering is such a pain.

Silacoids wasn't really impressive nor effective in combat, but they were really interesting in terms of lore, and their ability to burn the ground must have been used better.

So, while it would be impossible to have blob-like hot silicate creature due to copyrights, i would love to see some unusual aliens which could actually change the way you play the same levels. Which would be impossible too since rendering is such a pain.

I prefer the term "mobile cover platform".

I think all aliens are humanoid due to animation issues and such but I'm not sure. T'would be nice to have amoeba-like alien that splits in two when you "kill it" which, of course, makes things worse so you have to decide when's the best time to start attacking it rather than shoot on sight.

I think all aliens are humanoid due to animation issues and such but I'm not sure. T'would be nice to have amoeba-like alien that splits in two when you "kill it" which, of course, makes things worse so you have to decide when's the best time to start attacking it rather than shoot on sight.

Mmmm burning them would be the only way to kill without it splitting or something : )

I heard there are going to be psychedelic peacock type aliens that lay faberge eggs inside you like crysalids. I am yet to see what you hatch into.....

But it turns out that the Fabergé eggs are mere innocent alien life forms, being mercilessly used by the aliens in their nefarious schemes. Xenonauts manage to rescue them, research their own Fabergé Liberation project and mechanise them in the Fight for Freedom!

5b781f.png

That's basically the zombie in a nutshell.

So, while it would be impossible to have blob-like hot silicate creature due to copyrights...

Perfectly possible really. Copyright doesn't protect ideas, and so this isn't protected. The name "silacoid", the exact picture (not the likeness) and the exact description are protected.

Apple's "patent on rectangles" has to do with patent right and probably the right people getting compensated, but patent != copyright, you have to apply for one explicitly.

Implementing an exact representation of the product, but with a different name, is a very common tactic game designers use to prevent any IP rights nuisances (more trademark than copyright). Transport Tycoon had all locomotives renamed, Live For Speed has very accurate simulations of exact real-life cars, but under different names, the list is quite long.

Implementing an exact representation of the product, but with a different name, is a very common tactic game designers

Yes, and i'm quite proud that Chris and his team doesnt seem to be obsessed with this common tactic.

While it can be possible de jure, its nasty and unprofessional.

I must clarify that i'm talking about particular ideas of non-existent objects, not about real life things, which can hardly be avoided. This game maintains a strict distance from the x-com, not a clone, but still very close. So, it's ok and right to have a real-inspired shotgun in your game, but, as i said, making a "blob-like hot silicate creature" will unnecesarily shorten this distance.

That's what i meant under "impossible".

Yes, and i'm quite proud that Chris and his team doesnt seem to be obsessed with this common tactic.

While it can be possible de jure, its nasty and unprofessional.

As seen in the examples, this is usually used to represent RL equipment that manufacturers can make IP claims about. They have little real claim (like how Ford doesn't have IP to every photo of every Ford), usually just enough not to get tossed. But the tactic prevents even such annoyances.

Horizontal transfer (between the same type of a product) is a different story.

While I'm not suggesting to copy the idea silacoids from UFO - it would be weird, since none of the other aliens are here - UFO doesn't have an exclusive claim on any kinds of blob-like hot silicate creatures. The idea itself is overly campy for Xenonauts' more down-to-earth take on things, however.

As seen in the examples, this is usually used to represent RL equipment that manufacturers can make IP claims about. They have little real claim (like how Ford doesn't have IP to every photo of every Ford), usually just enough not to get tossed. But the tactic prevents even such annoyances.

Horizontal transfer (between the same type of a product) is a different story.

While I'm not suggesting to copy the idea silacoids from UFO - it would be weird, since none of the other aliens are here - UFO doesn't have an exclusive claim on any kinds of blob-like hot silicate creatures. The idea itself is overly campy for Xenonauts' more down-to-earth take on things, however.

The game is a remake of X-COM. Why wouldn't you have silacoids?

The game is a remake of X-COM. Why wouldn't you have silacoids?

No, it's not. Goldhawk doesn't hold the rights to the X-com IP. 2K games does. That is why the ame is called Xenonauts.

Technically it's a reimagening that tries to stay true to as much of UFO:EU as possible.

But It has put clothes on the greys, changed a lot with the weapons and armours, updated the aircombat etc. It also doesn't have blaster bombs or human psionics.

Just because it is trying to mimic another game doesn't mean it will take everything from it.

oh poor djlogue, I hope you cling to those dreams as you're strapped to the clinical, steel cold table on their ship. The restraints drawing blood as you try to squirm free as something mechanical and invasive descends from above. "It's OK. I'm seducing them. I'm seducing them..."