[V15.72 - Ground Combat] - Enemy AI Only Spawn In Downed Craft

UPDATE: Known issue related to spawn code and AI logic. Currently under development as per Chris

This is originally reported here, I think.

Context: Aliens appear to only spawn inside a downed ship, and will not move out of the ship until the player is within sight, typically at normal LOS range. During my first game that I created, ocassionally aliens would render with only a shadow blob when (seemingly) spawned outside of the ship. On one a civilian was seemingly treated as an alien by the game logic, it moved as if in combat and did not attack, and the mission didn't end until I killed it.

Repro: May happen after starting first game after install. Start a ground combat mission, notice that no aliens appear outside of the ship, no aliens appear to attempt engagement prior to alerting them by approaching the downed craft. Additionally, keep an eye out for aliens rendering only their shadow blob or civilian being treated by game logic as actual aliens (in my case they were unable to attack, presumably due to being unarmed).

Edited by gfulton

Not so much a bug as a missing feature, there isn't any AI and the spawn logic isn't set up yet. We're working on it.

Okay, not such a big deal then. I was under the impression spawn logic had been implemented to a large extent. There were some videos I watched of earlier builds where aliens were seemingly more prevalent across the map.

Indeed they were gfulton, at least in the Kickstarter Demo it was normal to hear aliens shooting at civilians from the start of the missions, though I suppose that, as with the downed UFOs (which had full sprites in the KS version), that AI is just a placeholder until the newest version is ready.

AI is off??? wow then how did I get my arse haded to me yesterday by of the tall grey alien dudes?? I frightened them out of the craft then they stated killing my men one by one. It came down to a one on one, a duel to the death, two men enter one man leaves. I had followed him into the hanger areas on the desert compound map. My soldier "Hogie McDoogle" Was equipped with a sniper rifle and a Fabergé egg. He tossed the egg over to the alien, hoping it's beauty would distract him long enough for me to pop him with a aimmer..... Hogie fired..........and missed. The alien fired at him with reaction fire and also missed. Hogie the took his chance with a snap shot, as he raised the rifle to aim, I flashed back to his time as a recruit in training and thought to himslef........ "I really should have gone to some of those shooting classes". Needless to say the shot missed by a good 3 meters and the alien took his turn and blasted away until Poor hogie was a mess of blood, sand and plasma. As Hogie faded out into darkness, he saw the alien pick up the Fabergé egg and marvel in it's beauty.

Aliens can now research Fabergé egg technology.

Yeah, I didn't have the luxury of actual Fabergé eggs when a Ceasian hunted down and killed 2 and critically injured my third and last soldier, a few builds back.

I wondered why the guy was screaming "You'll never put your filthy, alien paws on those wondrous globes." I thought it was a fear of alien butt probing, but it may have been the nearby Fabergé exhibition, just off the map.