[V 8.4 Ground combat] Aliens suddenly become invincible

I loaded up 8.4 today, started a new game on normal and did everything normally. Shot down my first ufo, sent the chinook. Only thing I changed in soldier set up was replacing a shotgunner's weapon with a machinegun. Battlescreen loads, and I notice that everything is barren. No biggie, something this evident will be reported soon. I proceed to hunt down some dirty aliens. I cleaned out their ship, sent a dude to the control room to start taking it, and proceed to hunt for the rest of the aliens. I happen upon one in the middle of the (barren) map, and tell everyone in my squad to shoot it. I get a couple of good hits, and think that it'll probably go down in the next round. Alien turn happens and my hunter explodes. I don't care very much, and spend the next round shooting at one alien. I then start noticing that he's taking lot more damage than I think he should be. Like a sniper round, 2 shotty rounds, and a few rifles on full auto. All of these were hits, meaning I see his hit animation and that weird scream. I think to myself that maybe they were all glancing shots, and start to worry since my guys are getting kinda close. Next alien round and another alien pops into my vision and kills a squaddie. At this point I'm thinking, "why won't these guys die?" and proceed to pour all of my firepower into the two aliens. They shrug it off like it was nothing, and proceed to waste 2 more of my men. At this point I'm freaking out and sending my guys in full retreat. I run and shoot for three more rounds, and get my mission victory from taking the ship for 5 turns. The two aliens laugh as I run away with their ship and feast on the remains of my four fallen comrades. I'm confused, but carry on like a champ, shooting down another ufo and sending my chinook there for the second battle. During this time I start researching alienum. Second battle starts the same. I kill one alien, he kills my second jeep (which btw seems to only have 17 hp), and it seems that he suddenly levels up and nothing hurts him anymore. another alien appears and they proceed to turn my whole squad into the extras in a Rambo movie.

Tl:dr

Aliens become invincible during battlescape after a few turns. This could be due to a few reasons.

1.My jeep dies before they become invincible. There might be a connection.

2.The invincible aliens always seem to be in the middle of the barren map. But they can move away.

3.My jeeps died around turn 3-4. It might just be around that time the aliens turn immortal.

4.If I remember correctly, rockets could still kill them. But that might be faulty memory. I didn't have a rocket trooper in the second battle and I was able to kill aliens normally in the first few turns.

5.I accidentally changed the difficulty to impossible

6.My soldiers hate me and loaded their guns with marshmellows.

Edited by peren

Same thing occurred to me. I think that what looks like just another caesaren is actually an alien from later in the game. When they moved they made a 'hovering' like sound and when they shot it did not sound like like the normal alien rifle and instead had some sort of crackle to it. Maybe they just seem invincible because their armor is practically impervious to ballistics?

Dunno man. I would need to check the sounds again. They're all creepy to me. xD

But in the case that it is an alien that ballistics can't hurt, there should be a notice that pops up that notifies you...

Wait, nvm. I just realized that the new alien would look different in the full version. Do not dumb down the game for us, Chris. Watch this video wen you got free time. It's funny and I think it make a good point on how game devs can teach players how to play their game intuitively.

Got the same thing, 'invincible' alien with weird movement noises.

Had four soldiers with various guns put about 20 shots into it over two turns...

...and then I gave up on guns and started using rockets and grenades. That was much more effective. Not invincible, myth busted!

I suspect Quartermaster's explanation of an advanced alien with the caesan sprite is correct.

Same here. Rockets were better but one had to be hit at least twice. The AP rocket worked better than the frag. Haven't killed one yet with rifle fire. Ran up to the body and it said it was an Andron Guard corpse (though the corpse picture on the ground in the trooper's "backpack" view had a Human appearance).

Finished an entire kill mission using the Armor Piercing rockets as Straker suggested. I have the list of corpses/ recovered items in case it is helpful to the coders.

Here is the list of corpses/items that I acquired from the battle:

Corpses:

Andron Guard

Caesan Guard

Caesan Non-Combatant

Harridan Soldier

Praeton Leader

Reaper Soldier

Items that I haven't seen before that I Recovered:

Alien Sniper Plasma

Weapon.AlienPraetorGun

Stunrod

Yeah, you guys are pretty sharp. It's the same bug as the empty battlefield one. The levelsetup.xml file is incorrect and contains aliens from later in the game (we were testing the footsteps sounds for them). I'm uploading a fix for it now, but it'll take a while for Desura to authorise it I'd imagine.

Finished an entire kill mission using the Armor Piercing rockets as Straker suggested. I have the list of corpses/ recovered items in case it is helpful to the coders.

Here is the list of corpses/items that I acquired from the battle:

Corpses:

Andron Guard

Caesan Guard

Caesan Non-Combatant

Harridan Soldier

Praeton Leader

Reaper Soldier

Items that I haven't seen before that I Recovered:

Alien Sniper Plasma

Weapon.AlienPraetorGun

Stunrod