Coloured tapes on armour for better soldier' identification

When all soldiers use same armour then it is a bit bleak and boring to see. On top it is  confusing to determine who is who.

Recently I watched some vids from actual war, and get idea - lets use coloured tapes on fixed places to differentiate soldiers.

Lets say, one tape around helmet, and two tapes on each biceps.

In the screen Base-armoury  player can set a colour for each load-out.

2 Colours can be set separately for helmet and the arms. e.i. I can have a "Assault" load-out who use green tapes. then "Assault+" with medpack who has greeen tapees on arms but red tape on helmet.

Color selection uses familiar dialog tool like this :

916770396_Annotation2020-01-07104203.jpg

Here are examples of tapes usage : ( photos are used for illustration only, I dont know which side they belong, or I am not involved in any propaganda)

https://cdn.punchng.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/27193050/rsz_1img_20220227_182428.jpg

https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/AP23086795783477-e1680208730850.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80

https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/000_32JU8ZG.jpg?resize=770%2C513&quality=80

I believe that coloured tapes on armour are engine-doable and would be nice QoL for all players.

Edited by gG-Unknown

These tapes are used when both warring armies use the same uniform, the same weapons and the same speech on the battlefield. The only way to distinguish which opposing camp they belong to is with colored bandages on their clothes. 

Really, what is missing: This is colored armor for marking individual soldiers and tactical groups on the battlefield.

11 hours ago, Komandos said:

colored armor for marking individual soldiers and tactical groups on the battlefield.

Coloured armour sounds very Marvell'ish. I do not want turn Xenonanuts into a super-hero comic, in tight spandex gay jumpsuit colored as rainbow. No, No.

Proposal is taken from reality, colored tapes onn solid armour are used for identification betwen armies. So in game, id tapes could be used to help differencite "clases"  or better roles, or better load-out.

5 hours ago, gG-Unknown said:

Coloured armour sounds very Marvell'ish. I do not want turn Xenonanuts into a super-hero comic, in tight spandex gay jumpsuit colored as rainbow. No, No.

Proposal is taken from reality, colored tapes onn solid armour are used for identification betwen armies. So in game, id tapes could be used to help differencite "clases"  or better roles, or better load-out.

I recognize the point you are trying to make but can we not use gay as a derogatory descriptor? Not only is it in bad taste but it is also unnecessary because your point as already made with the reference to super hero costumes.

1 hour ago, Twigg said:

I recognize the point you are trying to make but can we not use gay as a derogatory descriptor?

I dont care what you can or you can not. I just did it. :-]

35-comic-con-cosplay-nyc-2017.jpg?auto=w

Power rangers - a comic which become a beacon of ga<cenzored_by_Twigg> culture.

I really do not like Xenonauts twisted into  a band of derailed individuals, like you see on photo above.

I hope Xeno 2 will be more dark, bloody and desperate experience, when brave few are dying  to save silent majority. Even thou majority might not know they are on the edge of genocide.

Therfore simple coloured bands on armour which reminds biggest bloody brother-to-brother war in resent century might fit the setting better.

Edited by gG-Unknown

5 hours ago, gG-Unknown said:

I really do not like Xenonauts twisted into  a band of derailed individuals, like you see on photo above.

During the Napoleonic Wars, the soldiers' uniforms had a huge variety of colors, so that soldiers and commanders could easily determine where and which tactical group was located and could easily find the right one (their own at least). Even soldiers with separate tactical roles had their own separate uniforms.

And all this existed specifically so that the commander of the troops (sitting on the hill) he could easily see through the telescope where and which tactical group is located and what exactly it is doing on the battlefield

30f1d96b001ea6ce8fd227b4c00c3046.jpg.4ccbfe5484734e43940282c21a5ff74d.jpg6ff6bd000b1c914f2b43004270ae5084.thumb.jpg.99066339fa3bdbe373a1b8083adf6fd4.jpgaed92dc1f892c47dd808c0c7c9d8b766.jpg.6da96823d33c50f3d2912c62d0128e65.jpg

The color uniform was an important element of identifying units and managing them on the battlefield.

Edited by Komandos

8 hours ago, Komandos said:

During the Napoleonic Wars, the soldiers' uniforms had a huge variety of colors, aed92dc1f892c47dd808c0c7c9d8b766.jpg.6da96823d33c50f3d2912c62d0128e65.jpg

The color uniform was an important element of identifying units and managing them on the battlefield.

This is good one.

Soldiers use a uniform which fit the era, also "Icon of load-out" is attached. All has the same boots, same trousers, same 4 point-seatbelts, same jacket and hat. Difference is that few parts of  uniform (or accessories in case of hat and jacket) is colour  coded.

In my first idea, I recommended tape on helmet (one colour) and 2 tapes on biceps (second colour). That is easy to do in engine.

If your Photoshop skill is high enough, you could take screenshot from the armoury screen  and mark-by-colour certain parts of uniform-armour which can be colour coded. I believe our work could help developers to narrow the idea.

Important is,

-  -  it should be easy for user to set those colours, so I anticipated that 2  different colours is  the right amount of  complexity.

So when you mark specific colour-coded armour parts, they should be split to two groups, so player always choose two colours per load-out. Lets not turn it  into a Warhammer paint simulator.

- - current the main colour of armour should remain the main. Colour coded marks should stay in  the bracket of  detailing not full over-paint.

1. RP reason : Lets assume majority of aliens use optical sensors, so an bright coloured jumpsuit would make a perfect target. Lets say, we admit the power of military camouflage, but we need  coloured details for identification. 2. Styling responsibility : game designer should be still responsible for differentiate armours by look, ei. player can not over-paint the main armour theme designed by devs.

Edited by gG-Unknown

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Yes, this feature gets requested frequently. I'm not making any promises here but I think we've reached the point in development where we can see how feasible it would be to implement it.

Oh, thank you  for the possitive response.  Even Ninja Turtles would agree  that coloured tapes are  great.

j3oJ7bl.png

Edited by gG-Unknown

It wouldn't be a bad idea to at least have color coding in the unit selection icons in the tactical combat.   The ones that look like weapons we can jump between.     And we could color the icon used for the class loudout, to help tell people apart.

I wouldn't mind call signs/nick names for soldiers, to help differentiate them either.   The names are hard to remember.

• Like 1