Real-Time Replays

Beagle

In the spirit of bringing the gameplay of X-Com into the gaming tech of the present, it would be neat if we could have replays.

Simple, turn-based replays would be great on their own, and would bring a lot to the table re: hey bro check out this amazing shot my guy just did, or for FRAPsing good missions. There's a step above this that would be even neater though, which is being able to play out the whole replay in quasi real-time.

If you've played Frozen Synapse, you should know what I'm talking about. If not, take a look at

Frozen Synapse is a turn-based tactics game, but the replays have a neat feature where you can watch each turn played out in real time, as you can see in the linked video. Having that kind of feature in Xenonauts would be very neat, as instead of single bursts of fire spread out over time, you could watch co-ordinated fire and movement as the whole turn plays out at once.

Just a thought.

hmmm interesting idea. Should replays get into the game, I'd certainly like to be able see replays in real time, but I'm not sure it would really work, as if you have guys on opposite sides of the map you can't watch both things at once... just checked out the frozen synapse vid and it's not how I would want to see the replay - the wide bird's eye view, I'm not loving. But rather a structured vid where you could focus on a group at a time would be all right, and get much closer in on the action.

Again, not really sure it would work too well. For me I think to actually go close enough and see the detail that I would want, it may need to only be a here's this guys replay, now here is this guys etc.

Again, not really sure it would work too well. For me I think to actually go close enough and see the detail that I would want, it may need to only be a here's this guys replay, now here is this guys etc.

I showed the Frozen Synapse vid to be an example of real-time replays of a turn-based game; I wasn't meaning to also suggest the same view as that game. You could just keep the normal camera and watch whatever part you wanted. With a play/pause/rewind function I can't see a problem with watching what you want, when you want.

Heh, This got brought up in the old forums. Got answered there too.

Yeah, this isn't going to appear in Xenonauts. We simply don't have the time to implement a system like this when there are game-critical systems that we have to make sure we're getting right instead :)

Heh, This got brought up in the old forums. Got answered there too.

All hail the encyclopedaic knowledge and seemingly photographic memory, or just awesome serach skills, of the mighty moderator Sathra!!!

And that last of yours Beagle, that would work for me, but clearly not going to happen :) - unless Chris suddenly changes his mind

Edited by MickeyC
typos

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking that this would be a neat feature for tutorials, etc- I tried to do the same thing with Star Chamber and a screen-capping programme a while back but the video file size quickly ballooned out of control (this was in 2003 or so, so screencapping programmes might be better now...)