Short campaign?

I reached the ending point for the Xenonauts 2 early access version. Day 183 with the endgame progress at 73%. There is clearly more to do in-game, and I don't know what the endgame will be, but I got to say; the game seems short compared to the first game, and X-com games in general. However, I could all be wrong here and this last phase (endgame) last forever - I'm just surprised how fast everything escalated to this point. I mean, I just had a guy get the 10 missions medal. There are a few casualties in between, but I can't say I have been on that many missions. I think 2 terror missions, 2 base assaults, and a handful of UFO encounters, and then the cleaner missions of course.

Is it supposed to go this fast? Will there be much more to do in the game?

24 minutes ago, alienman said:

I reached the ending point for the Xenonauts 2 early access version. Day 183 with the endgame progress at 73%. There is clearly more to do in-game, and I don't know what the endgame will be, but I got to say; the game seems short compared to the first game, and X-com games in general. However, I could all be wrong here and this last phase (endgame) last forever - I'm just surprised how fast everything escalated to this point. I mean, I just had a guy get the 10 missions medal. There are a few casualties in between, but I can't say I have been on that many missions. I think 2 terror missions, 2 base assaults, and a handful of UFO encounters, and then the cleaner missions of course.

The full game is meant to be about 25 missions (so Early Access should be about 17 missions?), and obviously each one gets longer as the game goes on. Do you know roughly how many missions you did? I’m guessing not that many crash sites?

I think Endgame probably needs to be delayed a bit, people are unlocking it earlier than I expected them to (I probably need to add another stage in).

Is that 25 missions on the story line? or 25 missions including UFO shoot downs etc. Seems A little short compared with the Epic feel of the game. Can the player slow the progress by delaying plot Researches? Are we needing to complete the game in a game year? That looks to be the pace. IF so at current funding cost structures you won't be able to get more than one or maybe two Functional extra bases. There just aren't a lot of extra funding opportunities in here

At least so far that I've found. Will be playing a bit to get a "script up" for recordings to YouTube to try and get more people to try Early access.

• Like 1

i

18 hours ago, alienman said:

I've been criticizing the same thing in my "random thoughts about the game" thread. Last time I played a bit further into the game, Endgame was closing up just when it felt like I was just pushing into mid game. Last mission came available and the game was still introducing new UFO types, research topics, aliens etc..

@Chris should add new steps and missions to really pad up the length and add large scale epicness to the latter half of the conflict. When all the content is already there, it should be relatively fast/cheap to add enough content and make the game really feel epic. I personally don't feel these kinds of games can easily feel too long as long as the game is able to introduce new and interesting stuff periodically and invasion progresses steadily. Also hate if the research tree is so back loaded I get the feeling I don't have enough time to enjoy my latest gadgets that could give nice gameplay variations if I just had the time to play with them.

Alien bases could use same style of progression mechanics as Cleaner bases and have tougher final large alien base be revealed after few smaller ones. We could also have one or two more terror missions across the whole campaign IMO. Game also needs same kind on scripted "main missions" as early Cleaner missions in the mid and late game too.

One important thing for me at least is that I'd like to be able to play multiple missions/crash sites with the final ultimate gear. Many games stumble with their campaigns at the last possible moment and fail in this simple but important thing: when I'm finally able to equip my team with the best possible endgame gear after long and hard campaign, I'd like to be able to enjoy them in more than one final mission.

Edited by Skitso
  • Like 3