Automatic guard idea

How about automatic guard idea (stationary gun on three legs with auto fire in one direction - like in Alien 2 movie)? Soldier can have one and place it in corridor when defending own base.

I don't think it will be good on normal missions but in bases atack or defence missions why not? Or maybe it should be additional equipment for some buildings as an defence improvement?

Maybe also biger aliens ships should have some auto guns instaled on level 2 to kill humans outside? Good or bad idea?

Well, the original had proximity mines rather than sentry guns, but I don;t think they;ll be making it into the game (missed Kickstarter level? or was that motion scanners).

A couple of thoughts -

1. Your proximity/sentry gun would mow down local forces and civilians.

2. I'd expect the UFO structure to contain defensive plasma arrays that cut down your forces as you go inside. Just for game balance.

Well, the original had proximity mines rather than sentry guns, but I don;t think they;ll be making it into the game (missed Kickstarter level? or was that motion scanners).

I remember that orginal had grenades with option of delayed explosion. I don't remember proximity mines hmmmy...

You are right, sentry guns have some drawbacks.

A couple of thoughts -

1. Your proximity/sentry gun would mow down local forces and civilians.

2. I'd expect the UFO structure to contain defensive plasma arrays that cut down your forces as you go inside. Just for game balance.

Agreed. I strongly believe anything you have, the aliens should have one better.

I think the issue with proxy grenades was not the code for the grenades themselves, but for the AI to handle them in a sensible manner.

If the AI doesn't support them properly then you might get aliens walking through the minefield they just finished setting up.

that's the thing with the balance. Just how much fun is it to watch your troops get mined/prix grenaded? Not much. So, what would be an equivalent to give to the aliens that would balance this? Or would there be a chance for either side to spot the mines/grenades

Edited by thothkins

I think the issue with proxy grenades was not the code for the grenades themselves, but for the AI to handle them in a sensible manner.

If the AI doesn't support them properly then you might get aliens walking through the minefield they just finished setting up.

That would be easy to remedy. Since the proximity grenades are not invisible the AI would just designate the area as off limits and go around it just like it does with fire tiles or tiles with heavily armed Xenonauts. No big deal.