[v25.2 Ground Combat] CTD when loading terror mission

Ikko

• Ikko changed the title to [v25.2 Ground Combat] CTD when loading terror mission
4 hours ago, Ikko said:

Day 54.

When launching mission and loading screen is on 79% always crashes to desktop.

auto_strategy_before_combat-19.json 368.63 kB · 0 downloads

output.zip 559.01 kB · 0 downloads

Hmm, strange. That file loads fine for me. Can any other tester (e.g. @Kamehamehayes or anyone else) give it a try and see if you can load this mission? Just copy it into your save game directory and look for "Day 54: Before Mission (Auto)" and try loading the Terror Site.

22 minutes ago, Chris said:

Hmm, strange. That file loads fine for me. Can any other tester (e.g. @Kamehamehayes or anyone else) give it a try and see if you can load this mission? Just copy it into your save game directory and look for "Day 54: Before Mission (Auto)" and try loading the Terror Site.

I loaded the save and failed to reproduce the crash. Although when the game does hang on the loading screen, it hangs at 79% in my experience and forcefully closes the game after a couple minutes due to it taking a lot of resources. Lowering the graphics settings, restarting my computer, or mass deleting saves generally combatted it in my experience (though I try to not delete saves nowadays). 

For me unfortunately is always crashes on 79%. 
There is a C# null ref exception in the logs and provided call stack - maybe this can give you some hint?
Exception in Unity lifecycle, marked as handled: NullReferenceException: [INITIAL CRASH] - A fatal error occurred during Update[]

output.zip

Edited by Ikko

8 minutes ago, Kamehamehayes said:

I loaded the save and failed to reproduce the crash. Although when the game does hang on the loading screen, it hangs at 79% in my experience and forcefully closes the game after a couple minutes due to it taking a lot of resources. Lowering the graphics settings, restarting my computer, or mass deleting saves generally combatted it in my experience (though I try to not delete saves nowadays). 

Hmmm. If you're getting loading hangs at any point, please report them. The game shouldn't be hanging on loading for anything related to graphics settings or save games. The logs would hopefully indicate what the game was doing at the time.

@Ikko it seems like this is an issue with your PC or your copy of Xenonauts 2, so I'd suggest you tried restarting your PC, updating your graphics drivers (unless you've already done that in the past three months or so), and going into the Steam options for Xenonauts 2 and finding the option to verify the game cache / check the game files (I forget exactly what it's called now).

The error you're getting is that there's an issue in the UI, but a lot of errors come from the UI because it's the UI that has to try and display broken things. But maybe you've got a missing file somewhere or some corruption in your install? I guess if worst comes to worst a clean install might help too: https://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22030-how-to-do-a-clean-reinstall-of-xenonauts-2/

Having newest drivers, restarted and made steam files verification. All failed.

But - was able to load this save and get into tactical mission once I returned setting Controls Information to Always On (switched it at some point of time)

When having it set to 3 Missions - all tactical missions CTD at 79%. 100% repeatable on my machine

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ikko said:

But - was able to load this save and get into tactical mission once I returned setting Controls Information to Always On (switched it at some point of time)

When having it set to 3 Missions - all tactical missions CTD at 79%. 100% repeatable on my machine

Yep, I can confirm this. The game crashed at 79% when I switched the controls information from always on to 3 missions. 

output.log

1 hour ago, Ikko said:

Thanks, that's really helpful. We'll get that fixed.