[13.2 - Ground combat] Fatal exception at start of mission

So is this bug an instant crash when the level loads up or does it happen when you try to interact with something?

If it is a crash on interaction does it make a difference what you try to interact with?

It happens when you "CLICK" on a unit be it soldier or tank. You can avoid the crash by using the hot keys to select, well at least for me that is the case. I can also tell you that all tanks are poison so you should not use them in 13.2. I have changed a rocket tank to an MG tank which actually kicked major butt however once I reached ground mission 4 i got the destroyed tank model on load and I "Clicked" on it like a fool and then came the infamous CTD. I am currently working on playing through VMware player with one of my alternate OS's I have from my old decommissioned computers. The reason is that I do not want to save as I believe loading a save game is just as poisonous as using the tanks.

If your wondering VMware is software that allows you to run another OS on your computer in a window(sorta like remote desktop works) as when you close it the state of the computer is suspended and can be resumed from any point :cool:

Only work-around that worked for me was decommissioning the Chinook and ordering a new one. Vehicles-tab's still messed up so I've no chance of using vehicles again, but I can continue playing using only soldiers, so far at least.

It still freezes sometimes, but now it isn't as persistent as before, a couple of reloads usually does the trick to get it moving again.

Not a total failsafe. Still got CTD on my second mission, when clicking on a soldier.

Incidentally, what are the hotkeys for soldiers 11-1x?

1-x for soldiers, ctrl+1-x for vehicles iirc, haven't managed to get this build working yet, desura died on me and I've not had the time to get it back up...

1-x for soldiers, ctrl+1-x for vehicles iirc, haven't managed to get this build working yet, desura died on me and I've not had the time to get it back up...

The manual download is up so you don't need desura. As for the other gentlemens question there is a game manual posted for this game although I am not sure if 11 and 12 are bound yet. I click On there mini stat bars to select them for now.

Having the lockup problem in missions, it worked ok for the first couple of missions now it seems to lock everytime (last 3 attempts at a mission)

How do I upload the dump file it creates??? when I try to attach it to this message I just keep getting taken to a screen saying the post im looking for is not available!???

Edit: Managed to get through one more mission after several restarts by using the num keys to select, but then the second mission of a new game the soldiers just wouldnt move out of the ship (wrong union I guess). they will turn to face a right click and crouch using the c key and change fire mode using keys... but not move. As soon as I actually click on one the game crashes.

It's unplayable like this so I guess until there's and update I'm off elsewhere!

Edited by Leathd
Further testing done

So I have experienced this bug as well when the map loads the game would crash. However by a fluke where I believed it should of crashed it did not! Guess what I am missing?! THE RAMP TO GET OFF OF THE SHIP! Maybe that's a hint to this bug? Game didn't crash but obviously I could not get off the ship either. I started using hot keys instead of clicking on the tank which may be an odd reason why it did not crash although this is just me trying something else.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1367[/ATTACH]

Well after posting this i accidentally clicked on a soldier instead of hot keying... Game crashed. Hmm very interesting right?

I think this is important.

I concur with lordfeff that it seems the dropship's exits are probably the cause of the problem here as when they're missing you can scroll through the troops using the mouse wheel (or number buttons) and even use right click to make them change direction but you can't move them off the Dropship by left clicking around it (no pathing appears).

If you then try and click on a soldier directly and you crash.

Sorry if you saw my post. I did a work around and got through 17 ground missions without crashing. I tried to duplicate this effect afterwards however I was not successful as the game crashed once I restarted the game and loaded my save. Seems this one is gonna be tough but I will keep trying to try to get a work around that makes it go away completely. In case you were wondering I removed tilerender.xml and got it to crash less often and you are welcome to try it out. It does have some rendering side effects so you should back it up so you can replace it. Once again sorry if I got anyones hopes up so soon for a permafix.

Edited by lordfeff

I think this is important.

I concur with lordfeff that it seems the dropship's exits are probably the cause of the problem here as when they're missing you can scroll through the troops using the mouse wheel (or number buttons) and even use right click to make them change direction but you can't move them off the Dropship by left clicking around it (no pathing appears).

If you then try and click on a soldier directly and you crash.

I have looked at the spawn submaps and they all have ramps present so it is not as simple as a faulty submap unfortunately.

I just tried walking within the chinook, and still had the same problem, so I don't think it is an exits thing.

Then: I have loaded the same saved game, and carried out two more missions without issue. It is a really random bug.

Oh, something additional I have noticed is that if you keep clicking around after the freeze, you get sound interference with the music, and I have seen up to three fatal exception info boxes up after tabbing out of the game.

It might be related to a bug where the ramps don't load but it isn't caused by lack of exit ramps, that would allow you to select the troops but not give you anywhere to move them.

If the exit ramps are missing then something is failing to load.

Maybe that is the clue?

If some of the images, for example soldier weaponry or a cursor image, isn't loading either then that may cause a crash.

I just tried walking within the chinook, and still had the same problem, so I don't think it is an exits thing.

Then: I have loaded the same saved game, and carried out two more missions without issue. It is a really random bug.

Oh, something additional I have noticed is that if you keep clicking around after the freeze, you get sound interference with the music, and I have seen up to three fatal exception info boxes up after tabbing out of the game.

Interesting. I'll look into this when I am home and can play again. I'll try messing with the sound files.

Also if you hit L during a bad load you get 7+ error boxes.

It might be related to a bug where the ramps don't load but it isn't caused by lack of exit ramps, that would allow you to select the troops but not give you anywhere to move them.

If the exit ramps are missing then something is failing to load.

Maybe that is the clue?

If some of the images, for example soldier weaponry or a cursor image, isn't loading either then that may cause a crash.

It's not a Pathing issue as I realized you can't fire your guns during a bad combat load either. I've tried everything map wise to no aval. The dump states a c000005 error which means the computer application I can't tinker with xenonauts.exe is either trying to divide by 0 or allocate data to memory that does not exist maybe null data I don't know for sure. I do light visual studio programming so I know a little but I'm no expert coder or anything. Most Lilkely well need another hot fix.

Hello,

noticed i had same problem upon 2nd mission (not matter if saved or not), I decided to experiment, start new game, one clue that no one tried... decommission the hunters (not chinooks) right away before saving the game.

R

edit 1: (pure from start to 2nd mission), did save a few times... but no re-start from saves, on 2nd mission, no crash or errory.

Edited by rynait