Why do items cost money to manufacture?

Because it's a game and it wouldn't be fun if it didn't use the resource "money" ;). If it doesn't seem realistic it's an acceptable break from reality.:rolleyes: There is no point in trying to match up every little game mechanic to real life logic.

That being said it should ofc be balanced so that it is fun to play. Are you objecting to the resource cost or the break from real money cost? :confused:

Zeroczar, the best thing you can do is to play around with the figures and see what makes sense for you, then put up your findings in the modding forum. manufacures.xml has all the manufacturing details. Bear in mind that whatever you put up may be invalidated in the next build... but what the hell! Didn't stop me!

I always assumed the cost was for "non-alien" materials. Also, there are other costs when you build anything besides materials and wages, machine tools, electricity and other energy, clean-up costs, finishing materials (paint, coatings, etc...) and there is also a substantial amount for specialized test equipment and specialized design equipment (computers, software, etc...)

Edited by StellarRat

• 1 month later...

It's not easy to police such things. The only method that's ever really worked is Something Awful's method, where if you want in, it costs you $10. I can only begin to imagine the expression on the collective faces of this forum if Chris suggested that.

That being said, our profiles are connected to our ownership of the game. Perhaps it's time to say "members only"?

Chris has changed the account creation question so hopefully the bots will start to disappear as the current batch wear out and new ones can't join as easily.

Just needs to change it a bit more often or to have a cycle of questions.

that will hopefully make a difference. I guess that was stopping a fair number of these things before.