Training Mode

With the inclusion of the Training Centers, could we get a training mode? Like a mock battle between people dressed up as lizards or whatever to simulate what to expect in any given mission type to prep before heading out? Please?

I can't be the only one that loads some rando missions on a different file before going in for a base raid. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of those things a lot of people liked about Tactics Ogre, where you could split your units into teams for mock battles. Partly for slow grinding, partly for testing out builds. 

I keep a separate save just to test hypothetical ideas, since I like to play on Ironman rules for the most part. Reloading feels like cheating, but that's a personal things. 

It's just fun and immersive to play around and try new stuff. Plus it gives this feeling that your units do more than just live on the Shrike. 

I'm seeing it as just a random base layout or open field that doesn't exist. Base walls replaced with plywood, UFO replaced with a storage crate it something. 

That being said, as mentioned, a few other games handled something similar well. 

-OpenXCOM basically did the battle spawner thing, which is fun, but might break the illusion for some. I'd assume it's fairly straightforward to implement. 

-Tactics Ogre let you fight your own units, I feel like maybe NewCOM went down this road, but u-turned into making it a multiplayer mode instead. (The latest TO game let you turn your teams into fightable AI challenges, which was neat)

-Ob64 had probably the best mix of balance and immersion I've seen, though. You pick a team, then they get a scaled fight, with an entry fee based on rank. So it's safe, but you're spending instead of gaining, and all downed units get nothing, counting as injured instead. Can't be cheesed, has plenty of downsides, but a good way to test things and get rewards if you do well. It also made the battles harder with every consecutive fight. There were rewards for winning several in a row with the same team. Maybe a medal or something in this case?